X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BladeRnR
    • Sep 2003

Samsung 61" DLP Rear Projection TV

This certainly looks like a very nice bit of kit. I've not heard of DLP being applied to a RPTV but hey - why not? I'd dearly like to see this thing in action but alas it's not in Australia yet.

Samsung DLP 61" Rear Projection TV Review

Cheers
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

DLP RPTVs have been the "rage" in the US for a coupel of years, now. Samsung has been a leader in the number of sets introduced, I think, but others are following in their footsteps, largely because production yeilds and performance in other digital technologies has been problemeatic- i.e., LCOS generally looks pretty good, but chip yeilds are a big problem, and LCD's have issues with SDE and contrast ratio.

Early DLP RPTV's had really poor color accuracy and scaling artifacts, in addition to rainbos and temporal dithering; the newer ones are much improved, but due to cost pressures don't seem to quite be built to the same standards as FPTV projectors. OTOH, TI does sell the light engines at a substantial discount to the RPTV manufacturers, compared with FPTV. But there's still the video A/D and processing to be done, and quality costs money.

In my opinion, a direct feed CRT RPTV (i.e., not running through internal A/D or scaler; i.e., at native 480P or 1080i), properly setup, can produce a more natural picture, but the DLP units have great gemetry and convergence right out of the box which can never go out, so for a lot of folks, that's more important.

Trust your eyes as to what pleases you.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

I agree 100$ Jon........but people who just look at TV don`t see tv....if you get what I mean.....you have educated yourself on what is right and what is wrong.....we forget that most people don`t see Noise in the blacks.....stairways on bridges!

I wonder how many "normal" people see these things and or are bothered by them ? :lol:

but as you said.....whatever pleases your eyes

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

My brother-in-law just purchased this TV. He is doing the setup as we speak, I will fine tune it for him this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• BladeRnR
          • Sep 2003

Interesting info Jon. I've never seen or heard of a DLP RPTV before. I have no intention of buying one of course because the Hitachi RPTV we have is doing OK although it needs to be recalibrated by the Hitachi tech for NTSC convergence (He only did PAL the first time around). When we buy a house the real money will be spent on a screen/DLP Projector and the TV will ultimately be used for just that - TV

Cheers and thanks for the info.

P.S Azeke I'd really be interested in what you thought of the Samsung DLP RPTV!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"