X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Barnes
    • Jul 2004

What is the best Sub < $500

I am in the market to buy a sub for my HT system. So far, I have been refered to the SVS, HSU, Paradigm to name a few. Please comment on what sub you would buy if you had $500 to spend. Keep in mind, my room is 15' x 25' hardwood floors and has many open areas leading to other rooms. Also, I am probably going with the Energy Encore front, center & rear speakers.

If I had to pick a sub at this point it would probably be the HSU STF-2. If you would not, please explain.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Have you ruled out an infinite baffle?

BB

Comment

• theMaximus
      • Jul 2004

B&amp;W ASW600

My living room is slightly larger than yours also with a hard wood floor, and I've been very happy with my B&W ASW600 subwoofer. It is a front firing, sealed enclosure with 10" Kevlar reinforced paper cone driver and 150W internal amp. Bass is very deep and tight. I've had various 12" Velodyne subwoofers in the past, and this B&W can compete with most of them. It does a very good job with home theater application, but where is really shines is when you are listening to music. MSRP is $500 but dealers normally give some discount. Sorrento oak may look pretty good with your hard wood floor depending on the color of your hard wood. Check it out at

You can also get ASW650 (12" with 200W) for about $250 more if you are willing to go a little higher than $500, but I think ASW600 will be plenty. Also check out some user reviews at

Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• purplepeople
        • Aug 2004

How about recording studio gear? Many mfg make "budget" equipment for small studios.

M-Audio SBX
        Samson Resolv 120
        Tannoy PS-110
        Tannoy Reveal
        Yorkville YSS1

I've heard the Tannoy PS-110 and the Yorkville YSS1 and they are really quite accurate for such inexpensive boxes.

ensen.
        Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Brian,
          You have lots of choices

Hsu
          There is a new SVS called the PB10ISD that is on their news page. Not very big and looks to be a giant killer
          There is also a bunch of subs reviewed in this months Sound and Vision. The PSB was ranked #1 from what I could tell, the Energy 12s3 is 2nd. Some of these might be above your budget by a little..

Also a guy I know locally bought one of these:

According to him its a potent performer. I have not had the chance to hear it yet. The site says it takes an hour to put it together.

For me I'd decide between the SVS and the Titantic kit from Parts Express. The B&W already mentioned I've heard before and it won't hang down low with these. I have not heard the other 2 but I'm 99% confident that is the case based on what I've seen in the past.

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I also own an ASW-600 that I use for my rear bass and it is a very nice sub.
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"