X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masman71
    • Aug 2004

Newbie Advice

I am new to HIFI, but I recently graduated and decided my Bose bookshelf speakers and Teac receiver needed an upgrade. I decided to focus on a music system, but I couldn't justify spending large amounts of money on a system and not have it also run a home theatre system. On my budget, I searched and decided to start my system with two dynaudio 42 and two dynaudio 42w for my front and rear speakers respectively. At the same time I purchased a Rotel RSX-1056 (the reason I posted in this thread). I have been more than pleased with this setup to this point. However, my budget limited any further purchases. I am currently running a bose center speaker (VCS-10), I don't have a subwoofer, my dvd/cd player is substandard, and my television is not cutting the mustard. So, I need some advice. I have a little over a $1000 to spend on an A/V component. Given this set of circumstances would you buy a complementing center speaker, buy a subwoofer, Wait, save money and upgrade the television, buy DVD/CD player, or even buy something I haven't thought of previously. Any ideas/suggestions? Another new guy question: I currently live in Houston. Where should I be looking for audio/video equipment? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well without a better TV the better DVD player would be a waste IMO and vice versa. I'd say centre or sub depending on you personal preference of if you think the bass is lacking more or dialogue could be better.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• masman71
      • Aug 2004

The reason I was thinking DVD was more for the CD portion. I was thinking that if I spent the money on a DVD/CD I could enjoy the music aspect more and then upgrade the TV to equal the DVD/CD. I don't think I can talk my wife into a dedicated CD player followed by a dedicated DVD. That being said, any subs that you would recommend in this price range? Any recommendation on a dvd/cd player?

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

$1000 isn't going to get you too far with a quality 16x9 HDTV or monitor, and there are some big changes happening in that arena right now so I would invest about $180 (at BB) in a Samsung HD841 DVD/CD player. For the $$ it has marvelous analog 2 channel audio, multi channel SACD and DVD-A output along with more than respectable video performance. It even upscales DVDs to 1080i through a DVI connection (more about that later). I run this player in my $15K+ system without apologies. It's silver front also nicely compliments my Rotel gear (for the WAF). Then take another $599 and get an SVS 2039pci sub. This sub digs deep and is fast and clean ...great value for the $$$$ and will make your system sound and feel like you've really moved into true Hi Fidelity.

You will need a few $$ for some decent interconnect cables, then save the few pennies of the balance of your 1K for future purchases (yes, there will be future purchases...there always are) of a quality 16x9 RPTV ($1500-3000). Be sure it has a DVI connection and is HDTV capable to make best use of the DVD player. Later you can add a new center to round things out.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Good suggestions from DrJRapp. Another option would be the Denon DVD-2200 (I don't know if it does all that the Samsung unit does regarding upscaling, etc.) but owners rave about both the audio and video quality of this unit. Denon is releasing some newer units in the coming weeks so I think you can snag this unit for a pretty decent price. I hear folks rave about SVS subs. Another sub option is the B&W ASW-600 (~$500). Never compared it to a SVS but I own this unit and it is a really nice, moderately-priced sub that is 'musical' as well.

Jim
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• masman71
            • Aug 2004

Is there any advantage to getting a dynaudio sub to match my other speakers? (i.e. matching sound)

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

IMO, no unless there's a WAF.

Comment

• masman71
                • Aug 2004

Sorry about the ignorant question, but what is a WAF? ops:

I googled it, but all I came up with was:

Women Against Fundamentalist
                Welsh Automotive Forum
                World Armsport Federation

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

:rofl: It's a term us HT geeks have coined that stands for Wife Acceptance Factor. In other words, those big black speakers you might see in a nightclub have a very low WAF :B

A new DVD player will likely improve your CD performance and if you get one of the "universal" players you will also be able to enjoy DVD-A and SACD. However they will not give you the performance on your CD's that a dedicated player and/or upsampling DAC will give you. If you go player I vote for the Denon's as well.

As for the TV, I just saw a 30" widescreen HDTV from Panasonic at Costco for $800 Canadian 8O That's like just over $600 US! So it is possible to get a decent, though smallish, HDTV for under a grand now. However if you can, I'd also reccommend saving and getting both a bigger and better set.

For subs looks at SVS, HSU and Adire for your biggest bang for the buck.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Sorry for not explaining the acronym!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"