X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farbs
    • Jun 2004

Does size Matter?

Hi guys,
    I recently purchased a rotel 1055 receiver. Speakers are B & W 602 fronts, LCR60 centre and 600 rears. The question I have is what is the best size to set the spekers and also where to set the crossover for the sub. I also like to listen to a lot of 2 channel music, without sub.
    Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

With those speakers, I'd probably set the receiver's crossover at 80 Hz, although you might want to experiment. I think your speakers go down to around 60 Hz +/- 3 decibels, so I probably wouldn't set it any lower to allow for a smoother transition from speakers to sub. I'd select "small" for the speakers and you might, depending on your CD player, wish to use the analog direct from the CD to the receiver, as opposed to the coaxial or optical route. Or, you could try out both and see whether you have a preference for one over the other.

I don't own those speakers though, nor have I owned the 1055, so I'm hoping one who does chimes in.

Finally, size does matter. :thanku:
    Keith

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

I think there are a select few that can actually be set to Large and truely pull it off. Let your ears (and your sound meter) be your guide.
      As for the sweet spot for the crossover, remember it's not a brick wall, you do want a bit of a blend so there's no holes when the sub takes over. I can't say where that point is exactly because I'm not familiar with the specs of your speakers. X-over at 80Hz is always a good starting point.

As for "Does size Matter?" My wife likes to think so : Oh wait we're talking speakers... yeah that too.
      Last edited by Gordon Moore; 15 July 2004, 15:22 Thursday.
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

HAd to join in as I love the title to this thread!

:lol:

Really good! :T

I can't answer any differently than the other two here....but hey a laugh is a laugh!

:rofl:
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• farbs
          • Jun 2004

Thanks forthe replies,
          I have now set my speakers to small and I will see how they go. But as my wife said as setting them to small
          "I cant understand why it is called small when it looks so big!" :wink:

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by farbs
            "I cant understand why it is called small when it looks so big!"
            That "complaint" is usually heard the other way around. :>) (Referring to soft drinks and french fries, of course.) :>) Like a coworker once said: "If someone says size doesn't count, they don't know how to count." :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

FWIW, I handle my signals a bit differently. I'm one of those that Gordon mentioned as I have my mains set to Large and the subwoofer is always engaged. I always use the bypass setting so that the music stays in the shortest analog signal path possible. I have my sub's crossover set to filter out anything above 40 Hz as my Aerials play down to 30-32 Hz.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Sorry I'm late on this one but being an afro/canadian this topic would catch my attention.

I'LL SAY THIS ONLY ONCE

No matter what the situation "SIZE DOES MATTER". No matter if it hurts, make it work in your favour. At the end of the day you will be remembered............................for having such a great sounding theater.

Thank you!! : :
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"