X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myou
    • Jul 2004

Am I a Home Theatre Loser?

:roll: OK folks, I'm comming from nothing - a large screen TV with two little built in speakers. I have the both the VCD and DVD as separate, quality components but I now need sound. However with other spending priorities, I looking to spend next to nil (i.e. less than $1,000). What are those theatre in a box products like? Sony for example, offers a receiver and speaker set together. Keep in mind, I have nothing now so I'm sure anything will be better - or will it?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

It depends if you think you might be even somewhat serious about the hobby.

Given a tight budget I'd say you'd be better off buying a decent receiver and pair of stereo speakers to start. IMO decent stereo will be more enjoyable than crappy surround and have the added bennefit of giving you better music performance as well. You might even be able to fit a a centre speaker in a tight budget and just add surrounds and sub later .

On a tight budget I'd recommend Denon, Yamaha or Harmon Kardon for a receiver.

Speakers... That depends on what country you live in. You may be able to get decent pricing on local domestic brands and if you're in North America there are some good options for Internet brands (Axiom, Onix Rockets) which offer good bang for your buck.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

With a $1000 budget you will be able to afford much better then your typical HTiB's (Home Theater in a Box).

Assuming you can spend the full $1000 and its in US funds here's some options for you to consider...

Receivers - Good brands to consider would be Pioneer, Yamaha, Harman Kardon & Denon in this price range.

HARMAN KARDON AVR-230 Audio/Video Receiver $380 w/ free shipping

Yamaha HTR5740 $299 w/ free shipping

Speakers - avoid the all in one kits as you can do better with buying them seperate. One of the better ways to get good sound is to purchase matching speakers so consider buying 3 pairs of smaller bookshelf speakers...note that you'll need magnetically sheilded speakers for the pair that sit over the TV. There's a ton of good brands to consider here like the one's linked to below or Paradigm Atom's (which are available shielded ) etc, Its best to go out and listen to as many as you can and choose something you enjoy the sound of.

For speakers you could buy three pairs of speakers similar to these Polk Audio R20's $99 a pair.

You might also want to consider Fluance speakers given the bang for the buck they provide. These speakers are gaining popularity for quality sound on the cheap. http://www.fluance.com/ Going with Fluance would allow you to likely move up to towers for the fronts or buy a much better subwoofer like the Adrie Rava etc.

Subwoofers - Given the tight budget you might want to skip this for now and concentrate on the receiver and speakers to start and add a subwoofer later on. If you do want to squeeze one in this might work ok.

Polk Audio 10" $99

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

GoodGuys was closing out the Energy Encore $1500 5.1 package for $750 last weekend while supplies last. Sounds like a run don't walk deal in your situation. Then save for a little while to get a receiver.

BB

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Solutions for entry level under $1k...

Receiver / speaker combos from Cambridge SoundWorks, several price points:

accessories4less.com has refurbished Marantz receivers
          Marantz, Yamaha, KEF, Focal, Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers, HDMI, Onkyo, Pioneer

and various sat/sub speaker packages
          Marantz, Yamaha, KEF, Focal, Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers, HDMI, Onkyo, Pioneer

All of the above are respectable at their price points, but an appreciable, discernible difference could be obtained if you up that budget to $2k.

Happy hunting.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hmm that Energy Encore system is very good for the money...esp at $750:T

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Definitely :T One of the best entry level systems out there and for a very good price :P

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• cicero
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by myou
                :roll: I looking to spend next to nil (i.e. less than $1,000). What are those theatre in a box products like? Sony for example, offers a receiver and speaker set together. Keep in mind, I have nothing now so I'm sure anything will be better - or will it?
                Forget the new systems. Do research and check user reviews and forums and then buy used from verifiably reliable USED sellers on ebay or audiogon or other places.

I was able to buy shipped & tax-free the following:

NAD T751 - $325
                Mission Freedom 1992 [front] - $170
                Mission 732 [rear] - $90
                Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 [rear] - $160
                Wharfedale Diamond 8 [centre] - $85
                Denon DVD 1500 - $80
                Sony HiFi VHS - $50
                Infinity SU-2 powered sub - $90

TOTAL -------- $1055.00
                (minus the 732s = $965)

All are 9/10 condition. I bought the 732s as rears but have replaced them with the Wharfedales. The 732s now play in the dining room through the NAD and a [used] Adcom GFA-555 [$285].

With a speaker switching unit [Adcom GFS-4 at $50], I can now cheaply and loudly power 3 more rooms through the NAD and Adcom with Paradigm Titans [bedroom: $120], Mission Freedom 1989 [den: $150 incl. new veneer], and Paradigm Atoms [bathroom: $75].

So, the cost of the 4 room Adcom 200 wpc system is 90+285+50+120+150+75 = $790

I can play CDs or FM in the living room and in every other room in the house at the same time for $1755 [plus cables and interconnects]. You have to hear it to believe it.

As far as I am concerned, TIB cube crap lack power and range and clarity. Used stuff is great if you know what you are buying. Do your homework and save thousands and have loud tunes everywhere in your house.

Comment

• theMaximus
                  • Jul 2004

With home theater in a box, you have no upgrade option later. In many cases, you can't even change the speaker cables. As many people suggested already, you are much better off getting inexpensive separate components. You will be surprised what kind of fairly good quality system you can build with $1000. No matter what you buy, do not get sucked into getting a Bose system. I would suggest a low price Denon AVR-1804 receiver ($370), Cambride Audio Azur 540D DVD player ($330), and Energy or Mission speaker package if you can get them where you live. Best Buy online store

has Celestion AVP-305 speaker package for $250 and you can find a matching Celestion S20 subwoofer for around $150 or so.

Therefore, $370+$330+250+$150 = $1100. This is not going to be an earth shattering system, but pretty respectable for the price. Not that reviews mean everything, but I read a pretty good review for the Celestion AVP-305. Mission or Energy would be better but may be little more expensive.
                  Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                    Former Moderator
                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by theMaximus
                    No matter what you buy, [B]do not get sucked into getting a Bose system
                    Hahaha Maximus, good quotation!

Of course you can also check out our pawn shop for some good deals. Just remember the HT bug will bite and you will want to up-grade, so keep that in mind while you're shopping used items. Shopping for speakers is a good place to start. :T
                    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"