X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lamia
    • Jun 2004

Technical question-please help!

I am switching to HDTV receiver to a front projector, but have an older Citation 7 processor which does not have component in/outs. The question is, will an HDTV signal's bandwidth be an issue if I use an SVHS to component cable adapter? (assuming they are made,which I think I can find).

Thanks
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

You cannot use S-video for component signal even, let alone HD.

s-video only has around 270 lines of resolution as I recall. composite 220. Component vid takes you to 440 for support of progressive scan DVD. HD on the other hand starts at much more lines of resolution (540p, 720p, 1080i)

Forgive me if one of my numbers are wrong. Bottom line? no s-video switcher or composite has the bandwidth capability to support HD. Aside from that? -svid can't even support true component without being converted to or from as required.

There's no good reason to take the signal through that processor. You really can't.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Welcome to the guide Phil.

Yeah... just go straight from your source (HD STB) to your PJ.

I believe composite is 240 lines while s-video will do 400 lines.

Component will do 480i or 480p with a progressive scan DVD and component will do 540p, 720p or 1080i with a HD STB or a DVD that will upconvert to the higher resolutions as long as you have a HD ready PJ or TV.

Either way... as Lex stated... you can't use s-video and you wouldn't want to anyway. When you get into PJ's and HD you definitely want to use component connections or DVI.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"