Receiver for klipsch reference speakers??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caveboy
    • Apr 2004

Receiver for klipsch reference speakers??

I have just bought 4 RSX-5 and a center channel RCX-4. Which would be the best receiver for it??
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Klipsches are usually on the bright side so you would want a receiver with a warm high end, such as a Denon or Rotel. I'd avoid Yamaha, as they tend to be bright as well, so the combination would likely be painful.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I have a full set of Klipsch speakers that I enjoy, the Legend series which was the predecessor to your Reference series. I used them with a solid Yamaha receiver for many years that has given me very, very good results, so I think Yamaha can work well. I would say that the Denon is a very good choice, too. Other than that, going higher-end like Rotel or Parasound is always a better choice!

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• beyond 1000
        • May 2004

I also have a full set of Klipsch like Chris and I use and Onkyo 600 HT Receiver. I found Onkyo has a very smooth sound. I have compared it to Sony ES 3000 in my company's AVS department and the Sony sounded very bright.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Longtime Yamaha owner here. The equipment labelled as being bright is the lower-to-middle part of their line. The upper-end equipment is clean, revealing, has good clear bass and is not fatiguing at all. It would be a reasonable match with the Klipsch's if you like lots detail in your music/movies. If you like a more rounded off, laid back sound, definitely go with something along the lines of a Denon product.

System synergy is kind of a black art, eh? :banghead:

As always, auditioning before you buy is the absolute best way to mate your components with each other. Hopefully, you can do that. Good luck and keep us posted.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I agree the cheaper Yamaha's tend to sound a bit "tinny" where as their higher-end stuff is quite nice. Still IMO, you'd be best off with Denon. Or even better Nad/Rotel. (Nad's warmer sound might work well with the "bright" Klipsh's but you may prefer the more neutral sound of Rotel)

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

I have a Rotel / Klipsch combo and love it, while I have had others suggest that they arent a great combo together. It boils down to your ears and tastes.

I would try to listen to NAD, Denon and Rotel with your speakers before purchasing a AVR.
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

I, or my kids, have some klipsch reference speakers and, before that, some of the legend series. IMO, they are some of the most revealing speakers around and need careful matching of components to bring out their best. I've had, at various times, Klipsch matched with two Onkyos, a Sony, and a Sherwood Newcastle. One of the Onkyos seemed to work well with the Klipsch, but I wasn't a fan of how they sounded with the other one. The Sony, a very cheap one, was kind of a disaster, to my ears. Enter the Sherwood Newcastle, which I think matches up pretty nicely. I do hear a lot about success with Klipsch and Denon or Harman Kardon, as well as with Rotel, top of the line Pioneers, and NAD. And, of course, there's personal testimony by some here who love their Klipsch with Yamahas. So, if possible, audition what you can with your Klipsch, just do so carefully and stay away from that cheap old Sony I had.
                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

One more thing, Klipsch are even pretty sensitive to the cables you match them up with. Personally, I'd go with a nice quality copper cable, over silver, for the Klipsch.
                  Keith

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

(snicker) I always give a childish chuckle when I read the name "NAD".

Keith, you're right--I currently use copper Cat Cables with my Klipsch speakers and Parasound controller. I was advised by many people to go with copper over silver. And heck, it's usually cheaper, so... :T
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Longhorn John
                      • Apr 2004

I've got the RSX-5's with the Cinema 10 package set up for 6.1 in my bedroom. I am using a Denon 3803 in silver and I like it alot. I also got the Klipsch speakers in silver and it looks pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"