X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Move over DirecTV

There's another player in the game, and I'll have to say, except for not having satellite local channels, the HD offering is delicious! Any of you heard of them?

21 exclusive HD channels. HD movie packages for Showtime, Starz, etc...

Hardware costs around 500 to buy, and that includes an antenna for local digital channels. Alternately, you can pay around 10 bucks a month for equipment rental. Apaprently their receiver has all the bells and whistles for digital audio, (optical, coaxial), component and DVI video. At least I "think" it does.

Over 30 HD channels available total. That's impressive. Of course, some of them could be total crap, I don't know.

around 40 bucks a month for the basic package, plus equipment rental unless you purchase. Add for movie packages of course.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Yeah... I posted about VOOM back on October 13, 2003 but it didn't get too much interest. Maybe your post will drum up something.

Here's my post link: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

I frequent one of the DBS forums regularly to keep abreast of our Dish Network info and several of the satellite forums have dedicated sections for VOOM. From what I can gather they've had nothing but problems from the get go, although there are a few I've read that have had pretty good success with the equipment.

As far as programming I understand it's a lot of reruns and most of the HD exclusive channels are junk... but some people may like it... I don't know.

A phone call to VOOM resulted in the following...

$89.40 + tax per month for maximum programming if you rent the receiver.

$499 + $79.90 per month for maximum programming if you buy the receiver + $199 for each additional receiver.

These monthly rates are only guaranteed until the end of 2004 and then the rate will go up by $20 per month.

Their maximum programming is short several channels at this time though. For whatever reason they have delayed bringing on the remaining channels.

Initially their equipment was about $799 with programming at $99 per month. Obviously they haven't done too well selling it so they've come up with this special offer.

I'm interested but believe I'll wait to see what happens with Dish HD and I also believe that eventually VOOM will have to be more competitive with their equipment pricing before they will take off good. As has been the case with Dish and DirecTV... bargains are around the corner.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Hmm, they didn't tell me about the price increase at the end of this year. That's rather scammy in my opinion. $20.00 is a very significant increase.

If I signed up now, not knowing that, and at year end they did that, I'd be one pissed off puppy.

I guess I'll stick with DirecTV a while longer even though the HD material is limited.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JoeHard
        • Jan 2004

I just recieved an E-mail from Zoom. They are offering their hardware for free with free instalation and no money up front. They claim to have over 20 HDTV channels, but local channels are broadcast over air. They do offer antenna as part of package.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Wow, Joe, that would change things a bit. I'd be interested to hear someone's opinion that tries Voom.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Robbie
            • Aug 2000

Yeah, I checked out VOOM upon Sonnies mention, just thought is was kind of expensive. I'm gonna stick with Dish as I can get local channels. Still waiting to see what they have coming up as I heard they will have 23 or so HD channels. I was told by Feb. But that has come and gone and still nothing on their web site.

So here I wait...

Robbie

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"