X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

How is DirecTV's HD quality?

I was just curious what you guys thought of DirecTV's HD channels quality? I know there have been complaints in the past. I'm guessing they are still using Mpeg2? Dishnetwork uses H.264 but their channe lineup is still kind of lacking. I have Comcast now and their service has been getting better and better as far as PQ but they still don't have the channel lineup I'd like to see. DirecTV is supposed to be adding over 30 more channels by middle of this month they say and its really got me looking at them with over 100 HD channels after that addon. I do not watch standard def channels at all so the HD packages are whats important to me.

Edit: Also they claim to have 95 channels currently? Has anyone found this to be true? I'm sure some of them are like PPV and what not.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Well, I haven't counted the number of channels, but it's up there now. I'm surprised how many channels have become HD in the past year, even stuff like the Weather Channel and HGTV. Quality seems to be good. It was a good fit for me, signing up a few months ago.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah... I'm pretty sure its not as good as Dishnetworks H264 encoded stuff. But I'm wondering if it looks as good as Comcast now. When I first got comcast there was a lot of macroblocking but it seems they have improved enough to get rid of macroblocking.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Both Direct and Dish use Mpeg4 now. Channel numbers are about the same now, little differences here and there. Direct has more sports packages, dish has more HD movie channels. All channels will get closer and closer to the same as we go on. Direct just got its new sat up and will have new channels up soon. Dish still has room since they got rid of Voom.

Direct actually got rid of all Mpeg2 HD channels on Aug 1. Dish is close to doing it as well. Dish is about to release an all MPEG4 package (SD & HD), but right now it's only on the East coast.

Direct's DVR has more issues then Dish's, but Dish's have seem to have more serious issues. Direct has the traditional 1 unit per TV, Dish uses a 1 unit per two tv's (one HD one SD).

Dish is about to change how they send the signal when the new sat goes up. Could make the picture better, could make the picture worse. More % going to channels vs % going to error correction. They can do this because of stronger signal, but the more channels per transponder might make the picture worse. The plan is: same picture, more channels.

Honestly it could go either way and you probably won't notice a difference. Decide if there's a channel that's not available on one (not 'not available' in HD, that changes weekly) IE, you can't get the NFL package on Dish.. Then look at how the DVR's work and see if one does something you like better then the other.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well as far as the DVR as long as it records the shows I program it too thats about all I want. I'm guessing neither Dish nor DirecTV has any sort of On Demand service as of now?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Dish is just starting VOD (in 1080p no less), Directv has a pretty good VOD setup. It uses the ethernet port on both, so its not actually coming from the sat's..

The number one complaint about Direct's DVR is it doesn't always record what you set it to..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

My problem with Dish is that if you don't have a credit card (not a debit card a real credit card) they make you pay for the equipment. And for an HD DVR thats like 500 bucks.

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D

Direct actually got rid of all Mpeg2 HD channels on Aug 1. Dish is close to doing it as well. Dish is about to release an all MPEG4 package (SD & HD), but right now it's only on the East coast.

Kevin D.
                I'm still using my MPEG2 HD receiver with DirecTV, so I don't think they've eliminated MPEG2 channels yet. They are beating down my door to get me to replace it though so it's definitely coming.
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah I didn't think they got rid of Mpeg-2 yet. And Dish uses Mpeg4 but they also use a rather nice codec which is H.264. I'm wondering what DirecTV is going to use.

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    Yeah I didn't think they got rid of Mpeg-2 yet. And Dish uses Mpeg4 but they also use a rather nice codec which is H.264. I'm wondering what DirecTV is going to use.
                    MPEG4 is H.264. It's also called MPEG4 AVC or MPEG4 Part 10. DirecTV is using MPEG4, but the MPEG2 channels are there as well...for now. You need a new receiver (and possibly a 5-LNB dish) to utilize the new codecs.
                    Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well there are different compression methods for MPEG-4 AVC, H.264, and so on are these different compression methods. Most Blu-Ray now uses AVC but there are still some that use H.264.

Edit: Or maybe they are just wrappers.... I can't remember now lol.

Comment

• littlesaint
                        • Jul 2007

AVC and H.264 are different names for the same codec. In fact, the standard is called H.264/AVC. VC-1 is a different codec related to MPEG4 that was popular with HD-DVD and did find it's way to Blu-ray disks as well, but the ITU standard is H.264/AVC and that's what DirecTV is using.
                        Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Hmm well good to know. Are they different bitrates or something? People have said that AVC looks better then H.264 but if they are the same then that shouldn't be. I know AVC video files are normally quite a bit larger.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Well I ended up ordering Dish Network. They changed their policy recently I guess and now they accept Debit cards.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Aha... hope you like it!
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                Well I ended up ordering Dish Network. They changed their policy recently I guess and now they accept Debit cards.
                                Did you get the "all HD" package? I wish DirecTV would have something like that. I hardly ever watch standard def channels anymore.
                                Santino

Comment

• TetraGrammaton
                                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                  Dish still has room since they got rid of Voom.
                                  The dumbest thing they ever did. The kung fu and monster chanels rocked.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Yeah I was trying to get the all HD package.. Unfortunately they still didn't want to give me the receiver for free so I have to buy the receiver whenever I get the money. I'm pretty sure I want to go with Dish though as DirecTV's packaging is more then Dish and they really don't have many more channels if any.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

My buddy just went from Direct TV to Dish network and now is on to Verizon Fios. Out of all of them, Direct TV and Dish's HD quality were not all that great compared my Comcast and (now) his Fios. This is all within the last 3 months that he's switched around service providers.

I do have to admit that his Fios has the most HD channels and they are all at the same quality as what I get with Comcast. So it's got me thinking about this as well. Plus he can record and watch anything on any of the boxes he has...which I think is an awesome idea. All in all I was definitely impressed by the Verizon Fios and was not really impressed by Dish or DirectTV...their picture quality was average at best and HD was definitely below Comcast/Cable and now Fios.

Course a lot of that could be due to the fact that he is in a valley so maybe that messed up the signal...
                                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                      -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

I don't know, I've seen some Dishnetwork stuff and was quite impressed. I've been less then impressed with Comcast over the years that I've had their HD service.

Comment

• Changeling
                                          • Aug 2008

Hi to all, this is only my 2nd post on the forum, but you guys said something that left me puzzled. I have been a Direct TV subscriber for some time and I really don't know what you are saying when you say "I don't watch standard def channels" anymore. Are you saying you don't watch the classics channels, are am I misinterpreting what you say?

As for "choice", over the years I have looked into all the different new comers into the industry. However there is some advice, you will always sign a contract so to speak, 1 or 2 years, and there will always be something that irritates you, learn to live with it. DirecTV started the whole thing, they have served me well through thick and thin so I plan on just staying with them (unless unforeseen problems), cable is a joke up besides DTV , Dish network, I don't know about!

If in doubt, just click your heels together, turn around twice, and choose between the 2, you can't go wrong! :B

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Well if I buy the box with Dishnetwork then there is no contract. Same goes for DirecTV. As for cable I've noticed over the last few weeks that their quality has gotten better but I still don't think its as good as what I've seen else where.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                              My buddy just went from Direct TV to Dish network and now is on to Verizon Fios. Out of all of them, Direct TV and Dish's HD quality were not all that great compared my Comcast and (now) his Fios. This is all within the last 3 months that he's switched around service providers.
                                              The one thing that messes up sat vs cable discussions is that cable has to go through local equipment regardless of the provider. Our Comcast HD stations here are pretty much crap. They're there, but quality leaves a lot to be desired. So it's really Directv vs Dish vs your local cable feed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TetraGrammaton
                                                • Feb 2008

Another thing that hasnt been touched on much is the amount of hd content any of these networks is actually playing. I dont know about comcast or direct tv. But I'd say only about 30% of the programs on dishnetwork are actually high def. There is alot of standard def content. In the year I've had the dish hd package it's really gone down hill.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Well its more about channels. The channels that they have will eventually have more and more HD content. Also the same channels on each service is going to have the same amount of HD shows and content.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2002

Dougie's correct, the content has nothing to do with the provider. It's not like HGTV is showing more HD on Directv... I would also say 30% is a pretty low number.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah channels like Discovery HD, HD Theater, TLC HD, and quite a few others have HD programs almost 100% of the time. Those are a lot of the channels I watch as well.

Comment

• Azeke
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2003

I've had Directv for sometime now, and most of their HD channels look very good (MPEG4). Their customer service is some the best in the industry. DBSTalk.com has some interesting information and forums on Sat providers. Verizon FIOS internet is impeccable, but I believe that FIOS TV has a few more bugs to work out.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

Oh, and I meant to post this... at CEDIA, DirecTV is showing that you can NOW watch 1080p content via downloads through their receivers. Broadcast still 1080i max, but 1080p downloads available today, for free.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Yeah Dish is doing something similar. They are calling it 1080p On Demand.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2002

Dish will also stream that 1080p content over component if your tv will accept it.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"