$6500 to buy a complete home theater system...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

$6500 to buy a complete home theater system...

I'm helping a friend (and my wife's boss) with a home theater system. He's a couple of months away from having his new home finished and has dedicated a space for his HT room above his garage. The room will be 13' X 18'.

He has a budget of $6500 for a complete system.

He wants a PJ and we are planning on a 1HD/Z1. This will use up about $1250 of his money with the mount.

He wants a receiver (5.1), speaker system with sub, and DVD player. I think with his budget we can come in at under his $6500 and still have a nice system and throw in a nice remote. Since I'll have to be the one to program it I'd say an MX-600 is appropriate to handle the job so that's another $200.

So basically we have about $5000 to play with for a receiver, DVD player, and speakers with a powered sub.

I'm not up on receivers at all as I've pretty much always had separates.

I would like to welcome some good combo suggestions for the $5000 we have to spend. (Who was it that said it always fun when you are spending someone elses money?)

EDITED: I changed the original figure from $7500 to $6500 because I had forgot he wants to spend about $1000 for a HTIB for his great room.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sonnie, is he looking only to do equipment purchases? Or does this include seating, any room construction, popcorn machine etc? If it is only equipment, is he going to use any equipment he already has, or is the entire system going to be the receivers, DVD player, speaker, and sub?

For receivers, I've had good experiences with Yamaha before making my current shift to Parasound. Yamaha has a couple units that are fairly robust and capable while staying affordable. Other than that, I've been impressed from what I've been seeing from Onkyo/Integra lately, and if I were in the market I'd be giving them a hard look right now.

Does the DVD player have to have any features, like DVI, HD upconversion, DVD-A, or SACD?

Speakers, I also enjoy my Klipsch setup, and you can get good stuff for various price ranges. I think you could get a Klipsch Reference series set for that price, although not top-of-the line. I'll leave my subwoofer recommendations out of this.

Howz abouts a screen?

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

This will be for equipment only. He has no equipment whatsoever. The construction is not a lot more than what he had already planned. The room is going to be there either way except that he'll have the cabinet maker to add him an equipment rack in the side wall where he has some extra space. The plumber will run the pipe to the PJ.

He has already purchased an RC Cola drink machine and will also get a popcorn machine but those items are in his play room budget and will be in the room adjacent to the HT room.

I think he might possibly enjoy some multi-format music so at least DVD-A which comes with several DVD players now. DVI is probably not that big of a concern because the 1HD/Z1 does not have DVI inputs.

Yamaha, Onkyo, and Klipsch sound like some good ones to investigate.

No screen. We will paint the wall Misty Evening Gray (that's if my Misty Evening Gray turns out okay - which I think it will) and we'll frame it out.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ok my choices would be the following

DVD player
        Denon 2200 universal ($475)

Power Amp
        Rotel 1075 ($1000 list)

Pre amp
        Rotel 1066 ($1500 list)

Subwoofer
        Adire Dharma ($600) link

or

SVS PB1($600) link

Projector
        Stuido Experience 1HD ($1200)

Speakers
        Rocket RS 150's as rears ($200)
        <a href="http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=1.1" target="_blank">link

Rocket RS250's as fronts ($700) link

Rocket RSC200 centre ($600) link

That's for a very nice 5.1 system that's right in the ball park price wise even at list prices and would give him flexibility for upgrading with the rotel seperates. You could also look at used rotels's to save even more to upgrade the mains to towers if you wanted...and don't forget the catcables

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

This would be a very impressive system indeed Andrew.

Oh yeah... cables will be CatCables no doubt. We'll have to make sure we save room for those.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I would suggest:

Receiver:

Denon 2803: 549.99

DVD:
            Denon 2200 : 464.99

Sub:

SVS PCi 25-31: 549.00

Speakers:

Fronts:
            B&W 703: EST: 2800 pr

Center:
            HTM7 EST: 900

That totals 5263.98. You should be able to get 10% off of the speakers which would be around

Rear:
            B&W 601: 500.00 pr

Now this exceeds 5500$ only if your b&w dealer refuses to give a discount for buying. Can go w/ cheap interconnects and upgrade at a later time as well as revisit upgrading rears at a later time. You can also go for a Denon 1600 and save 180$ to use elsewhere if you dont need SACD.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Actually, that's not a bad list from Sikoniko for that price range. Some good components in that list that you'll be happy with. My main question with that list would be the center, HTM7. Is that also made by B&W? I'm a HUGE proponent of matching speakers to the max extent possible.

I would just make the main point of this: planning for future use and upgrades. I understand completely the limitations of budgets. More than $5500 may just not be possible for this gentleman at this point in his life. While $5500 is a lot of money, if you break it down for the number of components he's looking to get at this point, it's really not very much for each one and you're going to get some stuff that's on the cheaper side of mid-grade. I would hate for him to spend his well-earned money right now, and then be upgrading in the near future spending the same money all over again that he just spent for a particular component, and then adding even more to upgrade to a better model. While I think you can get a decent DVD player and sub with this budget, I see this very much a possibility with the speakers and receiver. Two things could be done now to either prevent this or push the upgrade fever farther off into the future:

1. Stretch the budget now, as much as possible, to allow for the purchase of better equipment.
              2. If he has ANY old equipment that he can use to "get by" right now, spend the remainder of the money to buy better equipment that will last longer. Then save up, and when he's ready, spend the large amount of money to buy the new piece of equipment. Buy it once, and buy it right the first time.

His preference of course. But I imagine that if he has to skimp up front to buy a complete set, he'll be spending extra money on up upgrades shortly, and doubly so since he'll be buying a brand new component twice over the span of a few years. If however, he can get by with something he owns now, he'll only have to buy that component once in the future when he's actually in the position to buy something more high-end to suit his needs. (or I'm sure you have a spare receiver, DVD player or SOMETHING you can lend him, Sonnie, or sell for a paltry $50. Heck, I do, if nothing else)

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Thanks fellas!

These are some really good suggestions and I may put together 2-3 packages ranging from $6500 to $8500 (includes PJ) and let him decide.

The one thing I think he will consider is what damage can the 3 yard rats do while unattended. If he spends a lot on speakers like B&W's and they accidentally crank it up then he might get a little sick if he spent $2800.

I think he'd be more about boom boom than anything else. From talking to him I gather that while he might listen to a little music and watch a movie all along it will mostly be for the kids. BUT... he wants it to boom boom when he's got his grown up friends over. He also talked like he might be having the guys over for sports all along which is really not about bang boom bam then.

I feel like he'll probably favor the less expensive route initially and as the youngens get older he would go for more. But that will obviously be his decision.

Either way, with these suggestions he'll have several excellent options.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

the htm7 is the matching center for the 700 series.

It is easy to say its just for the kids, but I can say now that I have quality equipment that I find myself listening to it more.

I personally like b&w equipment and stand behind it whole-heartedly.

If he wanted a better receiver, I would recommend the rotel rsx-1055 (retails 1300, can get for 1200 from dealers and maybe lower). my dealer sold me the floor model for 950$.

He can always add the power amp later, so I dont agree w/ andrew on the receiver/amp section first. while that is a good match, for me, it seems that the receiver is prolly the piece that will be upgraded the most next to the dvd player over the life of the system. If you buy quality speakers to begin with, you wont have to upgrade them. This is why I say go w/ the 703's and the htm7 and the svs. They would be a great start that could last the lifetime of his system, whereas most everything else will probably get replaced at one time or another.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Robbie
                    • Aug 2000

3 yard rats
                    Man, you guys sure have big rats over there!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd just take him to a good BM and let him listen to several kinds of speakers and let him make the decision (with your guidance of course). I wouldn't want him coming back later complaining of YOUR decision.

Good luck

Robbie

Comment

• Robbie
                      • Aug 2000

DP

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I agree with a lot of the comments made I definately think the biggest chunk should be invested in the speakers. Get good ones to start that will last a long time as they're less likely to need upgrading as soon as the rest of the components.

As much as I like B&W's (and they do make excellent speakers ) I've got to reccommend either the smaller Energy Verita's (if the budget allows) or Energy Connoisseur's. (Does the avatar give it away? :LOL: ) Team them up with the Rotel RSX-1055 (or the newer model available in January) and a Denon 2200 or 2900 DVD player and Cat cables to connect them all :P For subs Paradigm, Velodyne or JBL from B&M stores or HSU, SVS from online.

If the budget allows I'd reccommend an RB-1070 or 1080 for the mains to make those Energy's sing (this could be something that could be uprgaded down the line too) and also prepare him for 7.1 or 2'nd zone. At the very least it would free up power resources from the 1055 for the rest of the channels

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                        Jason

Comment

• AndrewM
                          • Oct 2000

How much of a music fan is he? Or more to the point, how much money should be spent towards a multi-ch DVD player (either SACD or DVD-A)? What kind of music does he enjoy, are there enough SACD titles that he will enjoy? If you can skip the universal player you can get DVD-A for quite a bit less (or a Sony SACD player).

I would spend the majority of the budget on amps and speakers, both are much more future proof than other equipment.

Past that for a pre-pro, go with the Rotel or maybe even the Outlaw, or investigate the used market (B&K Ref30's can be had pretty cheap now, even cheaper after the B&K price slash - as one example) or check out dealers for consignment/demo equipment.

I'd hesitate on picking up a reciever, most of them aren't very future proof, and unless you spend "big" bucks you won't have the same quality of power from the amps.

Andrew

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

If he isn't a "huge" music fan I'd still reccomend the Denon 2200 which is by no means expensive or at the very least the Pioneer DV-563A which is downright cheap and still gives him the option to play anything.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                            Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

I think Rotel separates and Denon are definitely on the front lines.

The speakers part is what he is questionable about. His concern is the yard rats poking a hole in them or them accidentally flopping the volume up and frying one or two. It's not just easy to say but also easy to do when you are talking about 3 young kids.

Again... these are some great suggestions and he should have plenty to choose from. I've invited him to come to the forum but he is so busy he doesn't have time. I liked his remark, "That's what I'm paying you to do."

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Hmm in that case then maybe going with something like the Energy Encore's mounted to the walls might help keep the kids away from the tweeters etc. If you could talk him into the 1098 there's now a max volume setting

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Even the smaller Verita's or Con's could be mounted high enough up the wall with some brackets that extend out from the wall to give some air behind the speakers. Mounting is a great idea Andrew :^x I think that you now have to start searching for some sturdy and adjustable brackets that can hold up those speakers Sonnie I wouldn't go much lower than the XL's though (still very good performers for the money) and the XL-150's should be plenty light enough if you're worried about the weight of the Verita's or Con's. Xl's would leave more money for that 1098...lol

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                    • Jan 2002

Yeah, I haven't really thought about mounting the speakers. We could probably get the mains high enough to prevent running around on the floor damage. The center would be a little lower and within grasp but at least out of the way of little feets as well.

Mounting could work out well in his room I think. We'll need to wire those and install a little extra support before the rock if we take that route. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do that anyway.

Btw... Scott is a great singer... played in a band at one time. He was great with Karaoke during our horseshoe tourny last year. I think he like 70's and 80's music more than anything. I think he probably likes music more in a party sense (not that he's a big partier - quite the contrary) but he likes old shcool and such. I'm not sure he'd be a critical listener but I would think he'd like to listen to some music. He will get a chance to listen to SACD and DVD-Audio in my HT room prior to his final decisions. This will help us decide on a few things.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Mounting is a great idea Andrew
                                      I'm trying very very hard not to comment on that one

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                        Mounting is a great idea Andrew
                                        I'm trying very very hard not to comment on that one
                                        LMAO... Just don't get any ideas there big boy :uhoh:

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Just don't get any ideas there big boy
                                          You've obviously being talking to my wife :LOL:

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

LOL

Ya know when you think about it, isn't that what this hobby's really about....who has a bigger... ummm....

...theatre system 8O :LOL:

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                              • Jan 2002

Okay guys... people are going to start getting the wrong idea about you two...

at least I hope it would be the wrong idea... lol

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• aud19
                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2003

What's the matter Sonnie....? Jealous? :E :LOL:

So any progress on the equipment decisions? You take him to listen to some Energy's and B&W's yet?

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                  • Jan 2002

No No No... never jealous! Just cautious! Don't want anyone to get to wondering ya know. lol Of course I know you guys are just "playing around with each other". (hee hee ... okay... kidding around).

We haven't had a chance to even talk about it lately with the holidays and so forth. We'll probably talk again about it sometime in January. I doubt I'll be able to get him to go listen to anything though. He's just gonna tell me to get him what I think is best for him. One of those kinda deals ya know. Of course, as I posted above, I'm still going to give him some package options. If he tells me to choose then I'll choose I guess.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

No worries... Keep us posted

Also check out this thread and see what HTaddict is using for wall brackets for his centre speaker. You may be able to do something similar

Jason

Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sonnie
                                                      I know you guys are just "playing around with each other".

Oh, the agony! :B :rofl: :sos:

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                      Our "Theater"
                                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"