X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JesseRJ
    • Nov 2003

Esoteric DV-50 Universal Player

While I am trying to make up my mind about the McIntosh receiver (which is really an integrated amp with a tuner added to it by the dealer), I must also buy a universal player. The Esoteric has been highly recommended by reviewers and by Stereo Exchange here in NYC. They all swear it is the greatest sounding player yet. It lists for $5,500 so it is not cheap but they say it beats the $10,000 and up players. Do any of you folks know anything about it or own it. It is made by Teac in their high end division. I know about the Denon 5900 which seems to be way up there also and before I make my decision, I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks.

Jesse Joseph
    Jesse Joseph
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Jesse, welcome to The Guide! I can't help with any direct experience, but here's a review of it at SoundStage.
    1. Esoteric DV-50
    Hope this helps.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JesseRJ
      • Nov 2003

Thank you David for the link. I got two reviews out of it and printed them out to study. If you or anyone else feels strongly about any other great universal player, I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks again.

JesseRJ
      Jesse Joseph

Comment

• LEVESQUE
        • Oct 2002

JesseRJ.

Save some money and buy the Denon 5900 like I did. You can still have your 5900 modded and still have some money left, and probably will have a better hi-rez player then the Esoteric.

And for a bonus you will have an universal player with the best DVI connection on the market now.

There is an pretty good shoot-out at AVS (DVD player forum) between the Bravo and the 5900 over the DVI connection on a Marantz S2 (sorry moderator, just trying to help with that link to another forum).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323308

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323276
        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• sattothestars
          • Jan 2003

The best DVI output available to consumer today is the Optical one available on Goldmund Eidos 18 and 38,though much more money.The 5900 is an excellent performer at it's price point,though the Teac is overall a better universal player for audio while the 5900 has beter video.Trouble with modding is the warrantee is voided.

JLF sattothestars
          JLF sattothestars

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"