Calling all Audiophiles - your chance to prove your knowledge by helping me!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marshahu_cr
    • Aug 2003

Calling all Audiophiles - your chance to prove your knowledge by helping me!!!

I am absolutely stuck for ideas and I dont know which manufacturer is best for which product. I know what I want - its a matter of finding a good solution from a good brand and getting the right mix of products.

My budget is £1000 for the entire setup. I will be buying my products from www.millerbros.co.uk as they seem to have the best choice and are the cheapest. If you have any other places (in the UK) where I can get each product cheaper than miller bros please let me know.

My requirements are as follows:

A full size turntable with 45rpm and 33.3rpm, pitch adjustment
    A Twin cassette deck, auto reverse, Dolby B/C Noise Reduction and S and HX Pro if possible, pitch adjustment if possible, recording in both decks if possible.
    A 5 CD Changer with MP3 support, larger changer if possible, remote control
    A DAB Radio Separate (if no receiver with DAB can be found)
    A 6.1 Receiver with support for Dolby Digital, DD EX, DTS, DTS ES, Dolby Pro Logic I and II, any other fromats welcome. The Receiver must output a minimum of 80w per channel. The receiver must have an RDS tuner with FM/AM or MW radio. DAB would be great! The receiver must also have enough support for the following pieces of equipment:

CD Changer
    Cassette Deck
    Turntable
    DAB Radio
    6.1 PC Sound Card digital connection (Coaxial)
    6.1 PC Sound Card analogue connection (for DVD Audio)
    TV
    Sky + set top box plugging in through Optical or Coaxial not sure yet
    Playstation 2 plugging in through Optical

Gold plated connections for the speaker and separates would be welcome.

Speaker requirements. Must be suitable for any music genre, games, tv programmes and movies:

Two Front left and right tower speakers Minimum 100w.
    Center Speaker Minimum 100w, also must be suitable for use as a rear center speaker.
    Two Rear Left and right bookshelf speakers Minimum 80w.
    Subwoofer Minimum 120w. Frequency support for as low as 20hz. Prefferably adjustable crossover frequency.

***The speakers must compliment the sound quality of the receiver and sound good. If you mix and match because one brand goes better with another, please explain how.***
    ***Please try and keep the separates the same brand as the receiver if possible. If mixing one brand with another sounds better, again, please explain how.***

The brands avalible for separates from millerbros.co.uk are:

Sony
    Marantz
    Denon
    NAD
    Panasonic
    Pioneer
    Teac
    Wharfedale
    Yamaha
    Technics

The brands avalible for speakers from millerbros.co.uk are:

Denon
    Eltax
    Hitachi
    LG
    Mission
    Panasonic
    Philips
    Pioneer
    Sony
    Teac
    Toshiba
    Wharfedale
    Yamaha

Thank you all for your time. I have no idea about which brand is the best Home Theater which is why I need your advice.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I would look at the Denon receivers.

I'd look for different speakers, as I really didn't care for much of what I saw in this list.

Some of your questions are so speific, your going to have to do a lot of research yourself as it's likely no one person here will know that much about these options. I said likely, doesn't mean someone won't take care of this, they might!

I think you need to read, you need to get some mags and read, and not just limit yourself to what one vendor has. Look look look.

Speakers could be one topic

Receivers another

Tape decks, well, not many people use those now.

I suggest making individual topics for some of these questions. Try some in home theater section as well.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Denon or NAD receivers

Wharfdale makes some surprisingly good speakers

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I can't help with much of what you asked given your location and needs but the mission speakers are likely the best of those brands listed and Lex's suggestion to look at the Denon receivers is solid advice.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I started to say Wharfdale or Mission might be ok based on what I've heard. But since I have no personal experience with them, I couldn't in good faith recommend them.

One thing, be sure wherever you buy, they are returnable if you aren't happy with them. Nothing worse than being stuck with something you don't like.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hugh, one comment on your requirements: Don't disregard monitor-type speakers for your mains. At the price-point you are working at, consider 5 identical speakers for your HT. It will make for a much more seamless soundstage - whch is very nice not only for movies and 5-channel music but also games. Mission 700s seem to get good reviews at this English(?) site.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Digital Bob
              • Aug 2000

Mission is a company that makes some fine speakers, but sadly most folks here in the US don't know them for that. Mission's distribution has been a mess for many years and lots of folks have only ever seen their low-end on shelves here.

Being in the UK, I'm sure you have access to all of their products. If you are looking for suggestions....
              I would still wait on the NXT/Mission stuff for full-size home theater. Cool technology but really targetted at "small spaces" market so far.
              I would also pass on Mission's "rock and roll" line. It's fun and exciting, but I think you might find it a bit over the top over time.
              That leaves (if memory serves) two other lines. One was their "reference" stuff; quite nice and a good line. The other used to be called the "77" series. If that's still available, it is what I would go for. WAAAAY underated speaker line IMO. Terrific balance, solid defined bass, and way better imaging than speakers in that price range ought to have. Especially the smaller two models.

Hope this helps.

PS: For the US folks.... if you have never heard any of the "real" Mission speakers as opposed to the low-end export stuff then you might be pleasantly surprised. They do tend to have a more "polite" bass sound than most North American loudspeakers. But remember where they are designed for. The typical Euro home has smaller rooms and is built more solidly (think masonry). A typical North American loudspeaker would sound god-awful in that kind of setting. Food for thought.

dB
              dB

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"