X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanielSK
    • Feb 2007

Receiver on B&W XT4?

Hi guys!

This is my first post here, not sure if I posted it in the right place - I'm hoping to get some advice on which receiver to buy.

I've just purchased a set of B&W XT4's, since Im planning on building up my first serious HT and found these speakers both goodlooking and -sounding. :T I've had many thoughts of which receiver would do the best job with them (and later on, with a full HT setup of the XT-range). Since receivers can sound very different - i.e. bright, warm, dynamic, analtical, musical, loud, smooth - and since I am pretty much a noob on the market, I'm hoping to narrow down the selection of receivers to the ones which will be best suited for my kind of sound in music and movies.

To be more specific, I mostly listen to easy-going, relaxing music like Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band and John Mayer, but I also like to throw a rock cd on from time to time. I like the sound somewhat soft, rich and warm, but still being detailed, open and "airy".
    Of movies, I mostly watch action, but a wide array of movies will be put on - spanding from the likes of The Matrix, Fast and the Furious, LOTR to a romantic movie once in a while.
    Emphasis will be put on musical performance, since I will use the system at least 60% on music and maximum 40% at movies. Hence, the receiver must do a good, dynammic and musical performance in stereo, but without lacking too many surround abilities. I've heard that some receivers that deliver the soft and pleasant sound that I like in stereo, can become too soft in surround mode and lack the punch and clarity, and obviously I don't want that.

The receiver must be pretty powerfull (XT4's scream out for power) - to mention a specific receiver which I believe is powerfull enough and also around the price I'm willing to pay (~1500$) : HK AVR 645.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading it through. I know that I probably won't get it all - a surround receiver will, of course, always involve some kind of compromise.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I know this is in response to an older post, but I just joined.

A couple of receivers to look at would be the Denon AVR-4306 or the Rotel RSX-1067. I know they are both over the $1500. mark, but with a little effort you may be able to find one close to that number. The Rotel is better sounding, but lacks HDMI switching. If you can get by without HDMI that would be the one to look at.

Eric

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Welcome DanielSK to HTGuide :welcome:.

Based on your budget, I would probably purchase the Rotel 1057 and a two channel amp for the fronts (i.e. RB-1080). This will provide you enough power and future scalability, once you decide to replace the receiver. You should be able to purchase that equipment for close to your budget, and you won't tend to regret it in the future. I just don't believe a receiver alone can provide you the power you may need.

You may want to also want to consider used equipment as on option, such as at audiogon or ebay. Just my quick thoughts and humble opinion. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"