X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

My Bi-amping/mono-block Test

Well, some of you may remember...and if you do you should win some award of sorts , that I purchased another stereo amp recently with the idea of either bi-amping my center channel or using it in bridged mode (essentially as a monoblock amp). First off, I had my center channel (Energy AC-300) run by one channel of my AMC 2N100-5 (150x5) amps (you can find all specs, etc, of these amps by following the link in my sig below). When I found a killer deal on a AMC 2100 (100x2) amp, of which I already had one of running my back surround speakers, I decided to pick it up...

So what I did was experiment...I first ran the center channel of the new 2100 in bridged mode (250 walls). I had to turn my trim level WAY DOWN while balancing my speakers which I thought was interesting...lots of juice. I watched some movies, in particular listening for changes in dialogue. I was surprised when I really couldn't tell the difference from when I was running it by one channel on my 150x5 amp.

So then I decided to run the 2100 in stereo mode (100x2) and bi-amped my center channel. I had to turn my trim back up to where it was when it was run by my 150x5 amp or there abouts. But while watching movies I heard subtle cues and sounds that got lost before. Whether it was breathing, a slight scream noise, or crisper and cleaner dialogue, while bi-amped I definately noticed a difference.

Since the center channel contains the majority of 'sound' in movies...this was arguably one of the best investment I made!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

E, if I say that I remember, can I win a banana?

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Banana yourself buddy!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Hmmm.... that sounds like a "G" rated version of telling someone to go do... uh... something anatomically impossible to themselves.

Nonetheless, I can't pass up a banana opportunity.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"