X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

DirecTV problem

Hey guys. Well, here I am, a supposed expert, stumped. All at once, my directv receiver started acting up.

The image for satellite, looks kind of like a film that isn't filling the frame quickly enough. not rolling, just sort of like a strobe light really, flashing bright then dark, fairly fast.

Strangely, as I recall, my base screen picture when you first changed a channel was normally a blue screen, and yet now it's green! Then the image comes up. My transponders all seem ok, signals in the 90s. signal locked. I am perplexed, unless it's a bad receiver or LNB.

Any ideas folks? I may swap out with another receiver and see if that fixes the problem, I do have 2 additional ones, but that requires a call to DTV. So, thought I would seek input first.

My signal goes through a TiVo. I changed the S-video cable from the DTV receiver to the TiVo, no change. TiVo integrates my cable signal (which is fine), and directv, outputing 1 S-video signal from the primary lexicon outputs. Thus, I know it's not the Lex, nor the cable out of directiv or tivo, since the cable picture is fine, and two cables did the same thing on the DTV receiver.

Thanks,
    Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Chip
    • Aug 2001

Lex,

First thing i'd do is check the cables at the LNB. Second thing i'd try is swapping out the receiver. My third guess would be the LNB. Since it's available too you, i'd change those cables at the dish (the short ones). Replace them with RG6 if thier RG59. These seem to be culprits in many cases. Also, are you sure you'd have to call DTV to swap out the receiver ? I'm not sure why you'd have to do that unless ofcourse, they aren't activated.

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
    Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Do you have a switch on your system Lex? I had a problem with my Sat picture acting up and ran and switch test and it fixed the problem, but I have Dish Network and have a switch.

As Chip says, RG6 is the best but you probably know this being a cable man.

Dish also recommends no cable runs over 100 feet or problems could arise.

Do you have drip lines in your cable run? Sometimes water can get into the cabling and mess with the picture.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Yeah Chip, these 2 receivers are not on file with Directv, I am not paying for them.

Well, truthfully, last time I worked on the cable at the dish, the project went a bit to fast, and I never really got my cable situated. So, it could be water. Sure, I have all the stuff to redo, whatever is wrong, but replacing the line under the house. That one would require a bit more fuss.

Ideally, I was hoping someone could say, yeah, same thing happened to me, what fixed it was.......

In the end, I was being lazy, trying to avoid extensive troubleshooting, that I really don't have time to fool with right now.

What switch are you talking about. I don't know what you mean.

thanks guys,
        Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

Lex

Are you still having trub with your receiver???? Just a couple of points I'll add.

Did you try the simple...turn off then unplug the unit to reboot it? I have a Dish player which gets finicky once in a while and just turning it off doesn't do the trick. Have to unplug it to remove all power.

Does your receiver have a diagnostics menu. I know my Dish player has one, will run a quick self test. Might shed some light on the subject.

Since you have good signal strength (I guess 90 was normal before) I doubt its a cable issue.

The switch Sonny was refering to is used to route the signal to multiple receivers. Dish uses these don't know about DTV.

Hope this helps

Robbie

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"