X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • menkentus
    • Jun 2003

adcom for newbie

Looking for advice regarding components for a novice to home theater. Am putting together a surround sound system for the family room to listen 50/50 music/HT, and have narrowed selections to Totem or B&W speakers with either Denon or Rotel receiver. However, I found today that i can get a pair of Adcom separates on clearance at a local dealer (GFA7500+GTP860) for $1800. I've read a lot about Rotel, but not much about Adcom. Any thoughts on this possibility?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Adcom makes some solid gear and they generally have pretty decent sonics esp compared to the Denon's & Pioneers etc of the world. What it really boils down to though is after listening to both the Adcom and the Rotel's is the more expensive one worth the extra cost? I'm obviously partial to Rotel but I have to admin the Adcom combo looks pretty good on paper.

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

As a long time follower of Adcom and current Adcom owner 8) I don't believe you could go wrong with the pair. They do make solid amps and pres. Some say they are kind of bright but not IMO. I don't think their pros are worth the coin. Much better out there for less but their basic amps are hard to beat.

Robbie

Legal Disclaimer... Yada...Yada...Yada

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

On the speaker side of things. There is no doubt, and not much debating the choice of B&W. B&W are what they are, one of the best out there.

But I think there is not enough said for Totem. They are a fantastic line. The little Model 1 Signatures are one of the best "minimonitor" sized speakers of all time. They're actually regarded as one of the benchmarks in the industry. And like all other Totem stuff, has impeccable build quality and engineering. Totem uses SEAS tweeters and Dynaudio's incredible woofers in the Model 1 sig. But they take them apart 8O and re-engineer them to their specifications. They also use gold WBT connectors. At $1,895 a pair, they are by no means cheap. But if I had the budget I'd use all Model 1 Sigs in my theater.

Model 1 Signature

I've heard those as well as the new Dreamcatcher 5.1 setup.

Dreamcatcher Specs

I saw a recent review somewhere (I'll see if I can find it) in which they setup the Dreamcatcher rig, but substituted the fronts with the Totem Arro's.

The review was very positive indeed. The Arros are priced at $1,100/pair.
        While the Dreamcatcher 5.1 system is about $1,700

The Dreamcatcher sub is very small (actually it's kinda cool it's so small) so it's not a room shaker per se. But does a fantastic job for it's size. You ould always go with one of the other 2 Totem subs, or someone elses. Their is no shortage of great subs out there.

One other thing about the Totem line. They do have a couple a rather unconventinal, maybe eve strang looking speakers. But the craftsmanship, engineering and build quality are at the top of the charts. And they are absolutely beautiful.

I had only found out about Totem a few months ago. When I heard those Model 1 Signatures on trip the the Great White North. And when things pick up, when the economy is a bit more stable, as well as teh job :P I am going to build a nice litte 2 channel music setup using the Model 1 Signatures. :T

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thinking back, I don't believe I've run across a single negative article or post about Totem speakers. I've never heard them, but I'd like to, just to see what the sound of such a uniformly well regarded speaker is like.

Does Totem have a website? I was looking for a "dealer locator".

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

Totem Acoustic is a world-class manufacturer of high performance loudspeakers, subwoofers, in-ceiling speakers and in-wall speakers.

Info and Distributors

The Products

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"