X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

Attack of the Clones - My review

i'm going to start off by saying that i'm not the biggest star wars fan. "empire" is my favorite of the original trilogy but to be completely honest i don't think i've seen any star wars movie (including episode 1) more than twice. in fact, the second time i saw episode 1 was just the other night to "prep" myself for "attack of the clones."

in the following review i'll do my best not to spoil anything for anyone. upon second viewing, episode 1 wasn't as annoying as i had remembered it. jar jar is an obnoxious, bumbling character who becomes a military general and, as we learn in episode2, becomes the representative of his people in the galactic senate. his on screen time runs at about 5 minutes total and, while he is difficult to listen to, isn't the same idiot he was in episode 1.

the basic plot of "attack of the clones" as we learn from the openning crawl is that many of the planets are leaving the republic and, in turn, the jedi (the keepers of the peace) are being overwhelmed. it's then the idea of the senate to create a repuplic army to help out the over worked jedi. of course SENATOR amidala will have none of that and her life is in great danger.

so how was the movie? i was talking about this with some people and i think i best summed it up like this:

1- tons of plot holes.

2- love story... eh.

3- so many unneccessary effects.

4- exciting as hell! i enjoyed it WAY more than i thought i would have.

i guess i'll address these things in order.

not to spoil anything, but when you think about it afterwards you're left with questions like, "well if he/she reacted this way at this point in the movie, why did he/she react the complete opposite way later on?" and you can't very well defend it by saying that the character developed over the course of the movie. it just seemed inconsistent.

the love story was weak. and i'm not saying this as some kind of macho "i hate love stories, they're for wimps" guy. it was just silly. and odd. anakin is a jerk of a character. he's descibed on aintitcoolnews as the highschool football superstar that goes after the hottest cheerleader and i couldn't choose a better way of putting it. i guess some girls just like 'em jerky.

the effects... k. so. for starters i think i'll mention that i went with a handfull of my coworkers. we all work at a vfx house. i suppose i mention this to say that (and i'm trying not to be boastfull here) we know what we're talking about when we see flaws... okay...

there is no such thing as a perfect vfx movie. and there's no way any movie with about 2 trillion vfx can look perfect or even consistent in the end. there are so many things to talk about here, but i think that rather than spoil things i'll just touch on them.

digital film making has a long way to go before it becomes a viable way of making movies. i can assume that lucas, being a huge supporter of digital film making, has advanced the technology farther along than it would be, much like the way he advanced vfx by starting up a little company called ilm so many years ago. at the same time, i'm of a mind that it still wasn't ready for this movie. scenes at night (especially nighttime on coruscant) are noisy as hell. and it can't be film grain. it is possible that they added film grain in post however what i'm talking about looks alot like pixel noise. i could be wrong, and i hope i am, but talking about it over lunch with my coworkers, we all seemed to agree that it was noise and not fake grain.

we were also of the opinion that there were very few good comps in the entire movie. matte lines were visible all over the place. but i guess when you shoot something digital like that, can you spend the proper time needed to get rid of all matte lines? or is it easier to say that for a 2 second long shot that it's "good enough" and move on? we've been in this situation before ourselves and i can't tell you how often you have to say, "this shot looks decent, but now we've got 10 more to do and they have to be done in the next 5 days. this is good enough. move on."

i don't fault anyone for that.

however when you're doing stuff like having natalie portman lying in sand... and the sand is cg and so is the guy entering from frame right... i mean... how much money could they have saved if they had bought some sand and had her lay in it. first take isn't perfect? buy a rake or something, smooth out the sand and do take 2! i think lucas has to learn that just because something can be done in cg doesn't mean it has to be done in cg.

lastly lets talk about how exciting this movie is. i think the final runtime is around the 2 and a half hour mark and while the first half can be kinda slow, the second half more than makes up for it. i don't want to give things away, but the clone wars and jedi battles are something to behold. if you can sit back and watch it with a non-critical eye and just try and take in what's going on onscreen i think you'll be in total awe watching what's going on.

in conclusion (my grade 12 english teacher would cringe if she saw me type that) this chapter in the star wars series is about a million times better than episode 1. so much better in fact that it almost feels like a completely different movie and a different universe. i left the movie feeling as i'm sure i would have if i had ever seen the original trilogy in theaters when i was a kid.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the insightfull review matt

For those that don't know matt he was one of the vfx (visual effect) guys that worked on the bomb blast scene from the movie Swordfish. I've had the oppertunity to tour their shop downtown and was amazed at what they can do on those PC's

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Matt!

When I saw the subject line, I thought this was a joke post. Glad to be mistaken. I can hardly wait . . . ;h

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Matt Broeska
        • Nov 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
        Thanks Matt! When I saw the subject line, I thought this was a joke post. Glad to be mistaken. I can hardly wait . . .
        that's funny. looking at it again i guess it could be taken that way. i almost wish i hadn't seen the movie and thought of that!

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

Matt,

Thanks for the review. Your thoughts are pretty consistant with what I've read elsewhere.

Didn't know you were partly responsible for that great effect in Swordfish. As a film lover I've got to take advantage of this opportunity and say, "wow". When I saw Swordfish at the theater I did not see that explosion effect coming (they did a good job in editing and previews to keep us guessing). When it happened my jaw hit the floor. Stunning work. You should be proud.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Matt,

I'd like to second Sili's comment's about the downtown bomb scene. That was some seriously nice FX work. Most Impressive (best Darth Vader voice).

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

And I'll THIRD that comment, Matt. What else have you been doing filmwise ?

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                • Nov 2000

wow. thanks everyone for the compliments! as for what else we're working on... that's always a touchy subject. depending on the project and company it's for, there are things you can and can't say. some information has slipped in the past and vfx producers/supervisors can come down on us pretty hard. it's happened that some vfx companies have posted pics of stuff they've worked on for some movies before the movie has come out and they've never worked for that company again because of it. of course sometimes some companies don't care and people have posted pics of key scenes on their sites before the movie has come out and the production company won't say anything.

i think for the time being i'll have to refrain from saying anything til i talk with my supers about what i can and can't talk about.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Matt, that's a good sensible stance. Please feel free to post what you can 'cause as movie lovers our enquiring minds want to know. However, we'd much rather have you posting as a happily employed FX guy rather than an un-employed one! :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Well I, (like the others), am very impressed with that scene as well! It was a work of art for sure. Nice job Matt! I'm looking forward to seeing your future endevors.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Yes, Matt, I defnitely agree with David, but what about movies past, other than Swordfish ? Anything to tell us ? You realize we're going to drive you crazy with our curiosity, don't you.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                        • Nov 2000

ah yes. past work. well i started at frantic around the same time they were finishing up work on stephen king's "storm of the century." we were nominated for an emmy for that. we've also done a bunch of made for tv movies. for now i'm gonna give you our web addy:

www.franticfilms.com

and hope that satisfies you guys for now. it's kinda being re-worked right now so you might come across some dead links or lots of "coming soons" so you'll hafta bear with us.

oh yeah and i don't have a home computer ops: so if anyone posts more questions on the weekend i won't be able to answer any of them until monday. sorry.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Thanks, Matt for the link.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                            • Nov 2000

back from the weekend. i did check in while at my mom's place for mother's day. good to know this site works on a mac running os 7.5.5 and netscape 3!

so i've checked with my bosses and they've cleared what i can and can't talk about. if anyone has any questions feel free to fire 'em off and i'll tell you what i can...

(thinking about this now... maybe this should be in a different thread?)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

What's your current project, Matt ?

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
                                Office Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Thanks for the review. I'll try and take a closer look during the night scense. I plan on watching this in DLP and am totaly looking forward to it.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                  • Nov 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                  What's your current project, Matt ?
                                  damn. first question asked is one of the ones i can't answer right now. we haven't done a press release on our current projects and since that's the case, i guess that means that all current projects are considered "confidential." sorry 'bout that guys.

i guess at present all i can talk about is swordfish stuff and other past work.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

M@ you're right lets start a new thread on your insights into movies etc. You've got the stage and I'm turning the mike over to you

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                      • Nov 2000

the thread (at least the off topic part) has been restarted here.

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Hmm, interesting and kewl Matt! 8)

Lex
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Saw this at the midnight showing last night as well.

The 1st hours drags. I found Hayden Christensen's acting to be awkward and painful and unnatural. I could not root for him at all, even when beset by tragedy (which was handled so clusily by the script and the convenient timing of it all and sheer lack of logical progression within the story, plus the casual shierking of his Jedi duties made me roll my eyes. The writing for Anakin's character is perfunctionary, not relevatory, a mistake that Lucas and Hale make in this film. Sure, the fans know the backstory, but actually seeing it unfold was unimpressive in my eyes to the script and timeline.

I did like what they did with Padme's character in that she does become a fighter within the framework of the story, which will lead her to a prominent position in the leadership of the rebel forces in the next film.

Obiwan's "James Bond" secret agent sidestory as he discovers the truth of the clones is remarkably goofy and implausible (but you just go with it to get to the meat of the story). He did not did a good job with grounding the foundation of Anakin into the order of the Jedi, perhaps they are right, Anakin was too old, too wild to become a Jedi, a mistake that will cost the Republic.

Mace Windu was more or less wasted in this film, I know no more of him than I did from the 1st film. Yoda was a revelation in the second half. Jar Jar was understated, but his speech pattern is still pretty painful to listen to (but I miss the more exhuberant Jar Jar from the first film).

The main villian introduced is Count Dooku, flat out horrible name for a villain. Everytime his name was spoken I mentally inserted "Dookie" and had to laugh. Dooku as a character/villain was a force to be reckon with, though.

The 2nd hour had more action, and tons more CGI and explosions, but I didn't get the urgency of the situation at hand, the tension was never ratcheted up a few notches in the various confrontations and battles within the conflict. I think the problem is knowing who will live and who will die leads to the inability to provide the dramatic tension within the 2nd hour to make it memorable.

I don't think there's that one great moment in this film, it plays a bit too even, a bit too safe, without a truly awesome turning point.

I thought the music was too intrusive in the film in many spots.

I did enjoy the interplay of R2D2 and C3P0 (did they meet in Episode I?). C3P0 is quite funny in the 2nd hour during the battle.

I give the film a grade of B- or 3.5 stars out of 5.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Here's a review I came across this morning...ouch 8O

Let's face facts. There comes a time in the lifespan of every popular film series when the die-hard fans still flock to the latest chapter in droves even though the general public could care less. It happened with "Aliens". It happened with the "Star Trek" series. George Lucas' saga has now reached that point.

"Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack Of The Clones." is supremely better than "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace", though that's not saying much. With all those wearisome political manoeuverings, Darth Maul being overshadowed by the irritating Jar Jar, and a disgracefully recycled finale, Lucas should've warned audiences not to operate heavy machinery after viewing "Episode One".

Following the usual confounding preamble and the ubiquitous shot of some ship cruising through space, we find ourselves 10 years after the celebration on Naboo -- a scene that Lucas rips off from the original movie. Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman with more of a figure), now a senator, is being targeted by an unknown assassin. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor with a beard) and his pupil Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen with a braid) are assigned to protect her.

Anakin has grown from a naive child into an arrogant and disrespectful jerk. Though he sees Kenobi as a father figure and mentor, he dishonours him and the Jedi commandments at every turn. Anakin claims time and again that Kenobi is holding him back and that he will be more powerful then even him one day. When an exasperated Kenobi jokes that Anakin will be the death of him, he doesn't know how right he is.

While Kenobi is off playing Columbo by uncovering an incoherent plot involving a clone army, Jango Fett (Boba's dad), and Christopher Lee (vamping around in a cape as Count Dooku without his trademark fangs and gigantic flying bugs straight out of "Godzilla"), Anakin and Amidala fall for each other in one of the most absurd and dispassionate romances in movie history.

With priceless lines like "I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life", the laugh-out-loud love story has all the refinement of a soap opera plot and 10 times the snickers.

The film closes with a battle sequence that's so confounding we aren't sure who has the upper hand at any given time. Meccano Set robots squeal and sputter. Jedi knights slash and weave. Three hideous CGI monsters snarl and screech. There's lots of laser fire and smoke, and some stuff gets blown up, too.

Although he's thrown everything but a chorus line of high-stepping Jawass at us, Lucas is so desperate for a whiz-bang finish that he sinks to a new low. During the struggle between the Jedi and the droids, Padme Amidala has her Princess Leia battle armour slashed in an ever so convenient manner, just so that Natalie Portman can show off her bare midriff for the finale. The move is blatant and exploitive and embarrassing for everyone involved.

Meanwhile, for those who hold memberships in the "Jar Jar Binks Must Die!" fan club, there is some redemption in "Episode Two". Jar Jar has only a few short scenes and it turns out, with one simple but foolish act, he is responsible for paving the way for the Empire to take over. (I would've preferred that the film opened with an Empire Walker crushing Jar Jar into a bloody pulp, but I'll take what I can get.)

Although there are some cool revelations -- such as where the Storm Troopers came from and how Darth Vader lost his hand and the goodness in his heart -- they just aren't enough to make us forgive Lucas and screenwriter Jonathan Hales for the puzzling and preposterous script.

The film's only redeeming qualities are Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan and getting to see Yoda kicking some major ass as he spins around like an out-of-control buzzsaw. Sure, the special effects are wonderful. But big deal. We've seen everything in "Attack Of The Clones" before. Nothing stands out as new, different or remotely exciting. Even the fight scenes are bland.

In the end, the "Attack Of The Clones" title is fitting for all the wrong reasons. Some high-brow types might insist that another cantina scene or another lightsabre dual during the finale are musical refrains that flow through the symphony that is the entire series. I call it crap, crap, mega crap. It is nothing more than a sign that Lucas is fresh out of new ideas and is now repeating himself.

It would've been smarter for Lucas to have either merged "Episode I" and "Episode II" into one film or had turned to Timothy Zahn, the author of the "Star Wars" books, for advice. I mean, how many bloody times can we put up with the same opening and closing act?

The format is stale, and so is the series. Lucas should swallow his pride, put his ego in check and wrap this droning, overblown story up, and fast. With "Clones", it is abundantly clear that the Force just isn't with him any longer.

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2000

Pr@, well I pretty concur with the spirit of that review you posted from someone else. It felt like movie-making-by-the-numbers (again, my main criticism is that the story was perfunctionary, not relevatory - and it's a problem due to back-filling the saga with everyone in the audience knowing that the film will go from point A to point B with very little in the way of surprise, or eye-rolling "coincidences" that are needed to drive the story along without developing the story to unfold in a natural way).

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"