Is there such a thing? (As an out-board Sub conroller for Volume, phasing etc?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Is there such a thing? (As an out-board Sub conroller for Volume, phasing etc?)

As an out-board Sub conroller for Volume, phasing etc? Someone told me today that are trying this theory that if he sets is receivers' subwoofer setting to "No" and pipe the Sub line directly from the DVD player into a sub controller then he'd get a more round bass around the room.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this? Is there such a machine available to suit this purpose?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Proper phase and volume are important in getting the best performance out of your sub and having it effectively blend in with the rest of the system. A number of higher end subs have controls for those built in. I am not aware of any kind of stand-alone processor devoted solely to those functions. (I'm guessing the market for them would be somewhat limited.) It also seems to me that rather than continuing to theorize about the results of an investment that may not even be possible, and would add uneeded complexity to the system if it were, upgrading to a more capable sub with those features built in would yield the results your friend is seeking.

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Rock Dog
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2003

I don't think it handles "phasing" issues per se. But a product that has gotten a lot of attention for being the "be all, end all" to Bass Management. Is the Outlaw ICBM.

Check it out here. Outlaw ICBM The pulldown menu points to specs, manuals, other pics and so on...

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Paradigms X20 and X30 might do what you need if memory serves me right

Comment

• Pat
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Clive, Pr@ is right

Paradigm Control Units

I am using an x-30 to get some control back after the signal goes through my Behringer Feedback Destroyer.

Something just doesn't sound right about your friends concept.

Pat's Page
          Pat's Page

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Paradigms X20 and X30 might do what you need if memory serves me right
            Looks like one of those might just do it! (I wonder if Paradigm sells most of those to owners of other brands who wish they had bought a Paradigm in the first place? :>)

The question then becomes -- how much do they cost and would that incremental cost be worth it compared to upgrading the sub itself? If you are starting out with a great sounding sub that just needs tweaking, then adding additional useful controls for it is a different decision than trying to "band-aid" a solution for a lesser sub that doesn't really have enough "oomph" to sound the what you want it to -- even if the add-on unit is the same device.

Burke

Comment

• Pat
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

I bought my x-30 used for $95. IIRC new ones are around $130

Since my sub is DIY there were no controls to begin with

Pat's Page
              Pat's Page

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Pat
                Since my sub is DIY there were no controls to begin with
                Ahah! DIY was my blind spot in this area of inquiry. Of course, DIY'ers would have a need for the kind of controls under discussion here, and from the volume of posts I see various places about DIY subs, there are a LOT of folks doing it, so the potential market is larger than I had considered when thinking about manufactured subs. And the price seems reasonable for useful controls from a high quality manufacturer.

Since I lucked into an incredible deal on a Velodyne FSR-18 at the time they were rebadging it as the HGS-18 and hiking its retail price by about 50%, (thus unloading the "old" ones for a substantially discounted, although still substantial, price) and have found to be true my dealer's admonition that it would probably end up being the only sub I'd ever need, (so I've never been tempted to seek other alternatives), I keep forgetting that many resourceful HT hobbiests get great results by "rolling their own" sub. Paradigm obviously DIDN'T "forget" even though they sell a lot of the really good manufactured ones. :>) I'm glad they offer the control boxes as a reasonably priced option.

Burke

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

SVS has a unit made by Marchand Electronics that does what you're looking for. They call it the SVS Amp Interface and it has a subsonic filter, level (with up to 18db gain, for connecting pro amps, etc.) and phase adjustments on it. It's geared toward those using passive or DIY subs.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                    Former Moderator
                    • Jan 2002

My apololgy for a L8 response. Yes the customer (I work in a small A/V store part time) built his own subs. Now before he finished them he was running his system with the settings for sub on "NO" and he reported that he got good bass response from his JBLs. He was interested in preserving those responses while still trying to intergrate the two subs which led to the question. His HT is dedicated.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"