X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveG
    • Jul 2002

New Sony SXRD projector technology

Sony has developed a new 1920x1080 LCoS chip it calls SXRD using a very thin inorganic alignment layer. The chip has much higher fill ratio than previous efforts, much higher contrast (>3000:1 chip contrast), and very good yeilds. They announced the chip last Thursday, providing a technical briefing and showing a prototype projector to their dealers on a 160-inch screen. I've heard from a dealer in attendance that it looked very good. A guy who says he works in Sony R&D says that the latest prototype bests the G90 CRT projector in many ways, save for contrast ratio. He believes that the retail price for the first projector, due the forth quarter of this year, will be $8,000 to $9,000. The expect to have prototypes of the final product at CEDIA 2003. If so, some DPL makers such as Marantz will be in big trouble. Others will have to drop their prices, perhaps by half, in order to compete. All in all, this is a great announcement for projector lovers.

Steve Goff
    Steve Goff
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hi, Steve, there's a running thread on this over at the Front Projector Forum.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"