X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EricTT
    • Dec 2002

new processor

ok, I'll try to get things going. Any news on the Anthem Director and Amps? Last years cedia announced it and said availability early this year...

• Michael Mohrmann
    • Feb 2003

I talked with my dealer a couple of weeks ago. It was their opinion that the Director will not be released for at least 2 more months. Of course, they could be wrong.

Comment

• Evan Scussel
      • Jan 2003

Both pieces look amazing and even at their steep price points still represent pretty good value in my opinion. However, neither piece will probably end up in my system unless I get a heafty raise or win the Lotto!

Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Evan Scussel
        However, neither piece will probably end up in my system unless I get a heafty raise or win the Lotto!
        What would you do if Anthem offered a generous trade-in price for your AVM-20 towards the cost of the Director?

I am not saying this is going to happen, since Anthem didn't offer an upgrade for the AVM-2 to the AVM-20. But the AVM-20 and the Director are going to be in significantly different price ranges.

Michael

Comment

• Evan Scussel
          • Jan 2003

Michael, Anthem would have to announce a SIGNIFICANT trade in policy to make it worth wild for me. Not only would they have to offer AVM-20 owners about a 50% price break, but they would have to extend that offer for a long time down the road. I have heard the Director will come in at about $6,000 retail. Even if I got 50% off that, it would take quite a while for me to afford it. I have some of that money earmarked for other upgrades, namely from 5.1 to 7.1 and for a new television. I think those upgrades are more important than any marginal improvement the Director could give me over the AVM-20. Hell, for what the AVM-20 offers, I have barely even tapped it's potential in my setup. I can see the AVM-20 as the heart of my system for YEARS to come.

Comment

• G Man
            • Feb 2003

The director would have to be a significant upgrade ( hard to imagine how it could be twice as good as my AVM 20 ) and if I could get 50% off with my trade, I would probably be in.

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
              • Feb 2003

To answer Eric's original question, the latest rumor is that Anthem has gone back to the drawing board for the Director. It appears from the feedback they got after CEDIA is the Director is too similar to the AVM-20. While from all accounts it is suppose to sound "better" than the AVM-20, the Director doesn't add anything new.

The prototype has the capability to handle dual Motorola chipsets (instead of one for the AVM-20), but there is nothing on the horizon to take advantage of it, or least as far as Anthem is willing to announce.

It would seem that the Channel 5 amplifier could be ready to go (some have indicated this amp is based on a prior Sonic Frontiers label design that is suppose to be spectacular), but without a "matching" processor to go with it, Anthem may delay its rollout too.

Michael

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

I thought the Director also had roots in a canceled Sonic Frontiers HT entry. Am I mistaken?

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by SiliGoose
                  I thought the Director also had roots in a canceled Sonic Frontiers HT entry. Am I mistaken?
                  I am not sure, but the basis for the Director is almost identical to the AVM-20. The main differences are suppose to be the capability to handle a second Motorola chipset and upgraded internal parts to be top-of-the-line.

Maybe some of the improvements that went into the AVM-20 (over the AVM-2) came from this cancelled Sonic Frontier's design.

Michael

Comment

• dsmith
                    • Jan 2003

I suspect part of Anthem's desire to reconsider the Director may come from what they saw from the compeition at the CEA, including the Halo, the Fosgate, the Bel Canto, and others with more features and lower price points. They may feel they have to include a LCD display to keep up with the Joneses. I hope not, but $6,000 is out of my price range anyway.

Don

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                      • Feb 2003

They may feel they have to include a LCD display to keep up with the Joneses. I hope not...
                      Agreed.

...but $6,000 is out of my price range anyway.
                      It is going to be tough to convince current and potential AVM-20 users to upgrade.

For an extra $2600 or so, it is going to take more than an improvement in sound quality (which will be slight for most users) to get people to switch.

Michael

Comment

• dsmith
                        • Jan 2003

For $6,000 (or less) you can get the Bel Canto or the Lexicon MC-8.

Don

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"