If we were the marketing director of Classe...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

If we were the marketing director of Classe...

It is interesting to see technology grow and change. To watch as new products come out. I'd like to propose that we use this thread to play marketing director of Classe. If you were the marketing director of Classe, what products do you think would make the most sense to roadmap over the next 5 years.

We can certainly adjust as we go, but to start out, lets define a criteria:

1. Products have to make sense with the Classe mission and vision.
    2. Products have to be viable / profitable.
    3. Products have to have a 3-5 year life cycle / flexibility? upgradeable? possibly modular?
    4. Products can borrow/blend/add value to technology from B&W group.

I'm not in marketing, so if I am missing anything, please feel to critique.

Put on your business hats with this thread please. Be willing to justify your product with a strong business case. I know we don't know material costs, man hour costs or r&d costs, but be willing to define the cost of your product, and who the target audience is.

Classe has not asked me to make this thread. Classe does read these boards, but they do not participate to my knowledge. They like to stay out of the way and allow free dialogue from their customers.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I'll start. I'd like to see a 5.1 AVR for the bedroom:

Target Audience: Someone who enjoys Classe quality and sound, is possibly looking for a secondary system in another room. Probably already has a main room with a big theater system and wants to add surround sound to a bedroom or family room. Possibly also someone who has a loft, or small apartment but desires quality audio that is scaled to their living environment.

Form Factor: SSP-300

Inputs: (3x HDMI, 2x coax, 2x S/PDIF)
    HDMI: Cable/Satellite
    HDMI: BD-Player / DVD-Upconverter
    HDMI: Support for 1 game system (unfortunately this would alienate the Wii - not really a bedroom system anyways)
    Optical / S/PDIF: for 1 to 2 digital transports.

Outputs:
    1xHDMI

Power:
    5x100W - ICE or switching amp up to classe standards

Offers 7.1 outputs if customer wishes to add outboard amplifiers. Only SE due to size constraints of form factor.

Features:
    Same features as SSP-800

Price: $4500

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Debug and complete the DSP chipset upgrade for the SSP-800.

Develop viable solution to enable the trigger feature between Delta Series pre-pros/pre-amps and legacy amplifiers.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

B&W Group:

Produce an 805D. The 805S is currently $2,800.00 pair. Sell the 805D for $4,000-$4,500 pair.

I would like to place my order for a pair in black ash now. Thank You Santa!

PS: Flat or satin black stands will also be a nice feature.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
          B&W Group:

Produce an 805D. The 805S is currently $2,800.00 pair. Sell the 805D for $4,000-$4,500 pair.

I would like to place my order for a pair in black ash now. Thank You Santa!

PS: Flat or satin black stands will also be a nice feature.
          I can tell you B&W is and has been working on this. I no nothing more than that.

Should we keep this thread to Classe and allow the B&W and Rotel threads to create their own hypothetical threads?

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
            I can tell you B&W is and has been working on this. I no nothing more than that.

Should we keep this thread to Classe and allow the B&W and Rotel threads to create their own hypothetical threads?
            I was told they had a speaker designed and a prototype built, but that they felt there was not a market for a bookshelf/surround speaker with a diamond tweeter. The speaker was supposedly larger than the current 805S, and they felt the price may be too high and tabled the concept.

It would be a good idea for them to do some marketing research/customer survey in order to make an informed decision?

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I was told they had a speaker designed and a prototype built, but that they felt there was not a market for a bookshelf/surround speaker with a diamond tweeter. The speaker was supposedly larger than the current 805S, and they felt the price may be too high and tabled the concept.

It would be a good idea for them to do some marketing research/customer survey in order to make an informed decision?
              It would be. don't you think you could get more attraction from the B&W forum instead of the classe forum?

I heard in June that they are going to integrate diamonds into every speaker in the 800 series except wall mounted speakers and do away with the redundancy of the 803 by either rebadging the current 803s to and 804d and decoming the current 804s or promoting the 804s to 804d and decomming the current 803s.

Like I said, discussing b&w is probably going to get more attention from b&w people in that area though.

Comment

• garak
                • Jul 2007

CDT-600 Universal Transport

It would play CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD (DSD to PCM over HDMI - like Oppo), Blu-ray.

Price: $4,000 USD

At $4K, I don't think it would cheapen the brand. However, the CDT-600 would likely cannibalize their other source components. An argument could be made that the CDP-102 and CDP-202 could survive for use in 2 channel systems.

So here's the case for the CDT-600.

Only Classe knows how much revenue they make from their source components. However, I'm sure they already know that Blu-ray will prove problematic for their existing source lineup. The problem is that a Blu-ray played on a $200 machine will look and sound better than a DVD played on a $5000 machine. This poses quite a problem for the CDP-300, CDT-300, CDP502, since DVD is giving way to Blu-ray.

So their source lineup needs a revamp anyway. Keep the CDP-102/202 for 2 channel systems. Discontinue the CDP/CDT-300, CDP502, which should result in cost savings. Produce the CDT-600 as the one and only transport that one would need.

If the $4000 price point is not satisfactory, they could perhaps further differentiate the CDT-600 by incorporating a well know video processing engine, such as the Realta or develop some upsampling technology like the Meridian. Then they could perhaps push the price to $6000.

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

It would be. don't you think you could get more attraction from the B&W forum instead of the classe forum?

Like I said, discussing b&w is probably going to get more attention from b&w people in that area though.
                  Yes, I see that you said this three times!!!

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Yes, I see that you said this three times!!!

I'm sorry that I have a hard time following your rules for this forum.
                    you really like to cause trouble, don't you? I'm the man trying to keep poor little ol' brooks down. woe is brooks...

do me a favor. go to a chevy dealership and tell them you want to buy a cadillac. tell me how far you get.

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by garak
                      CDT-600 Universal Transport

It would play CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD (DSD to PCM over HDMI - like Oppo), Blu-ray.

Price: $4,000 USD

At $4K, I don't think it would cheapen the brand. However, the CDT-600 would likely cannibalize their other source components. An argument could be made that the CDP-102 and CDP-202 could survive for use in 2 channel systems.

So here's the case for the CDT-600.

Only Classe knows how much revenue they make from their source components. However, I'm sure they already know that Blu-ray will prove problematic for their existing source lineup. The problem is that a Blu-ray played on a $200 machine will look and sound better than a DVD played on a $5000 machine. This poses quite a problem for the CDP-300, CDT-300, CDP502, since DVD is giving way to Blu-ray.

So their source lineup needs a revamp anyway. Keep the CDP-102/202 for 2 channel systems. Discontinue the CDP/CDT-300, CDP502, which should result in cost savings. Produce the CDT-600 as the one and only transport that one would need.

If the $4000 price point is not satisfactory, they could perhaps further differentiate the CDT-600 by incorporating a well know video processing engine, such as the Realta or develop some upsampling technology like the Meridian. Then they could perhaps push the price to $6000.
                      Did you see Denon announced a Universal player?

Ryst brought up the ability to stream music to the SSP-800. I think the next gen player/transport would be the best place for this to ocur. So, I think that should be added to the feature list of your idea!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

Really push development in efficient amplifier designs (like ICE Power). They have to keep the performance at or above the level of the current amps but get them to consume less energy. Prices need to stay in line with where they are now (meaning not more expensive) as well.

I agree with garak that they have too many sources today. The CD players are fine but having three DVD players is too many. I think if they do a BD player that is a good sounding CD player; a really good DVD player; have built in decoding with a really good sounding, and complete, analog stage; have network capability (BD Live would be optional, Profile 1.1 is fine) and a media player of some sort so you can use it for music files on a hard drive. DVD-A and SACD wouldn't be necessary in my opinion. I think something like that could sell for $5000.00 to $6000.00.

Eric

Comment

• garak
                          • Jul 2007

Did you see Denon announced a Universal player?

Ryst brought up the ability to stream music to the SSP-800. I think the next gen player/transport would be the best place for this to ocur. So, I think that should be added to the feature list of your idea!
                          I saw that, but at $5800, I don't think I'll bite. However, if their competitors are charging that much for a universal player, Classe may be able to charge more than the $4000 I thought for a universal Classe transport.

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                            DVD-A and SACD wouldn't be necessary in my opinion. I think something like that could sell for $5000.00 to $6000.00.

Eric
                            I certainly respect your opinion, but I disagree. I had SACD/DVD-A a few years back and sold it as I wasn't very impressed. For me, they have both been revitalized since getting my SSP-800. It is more alive today than ever. I hope BD music picks up where the others left off, but until then, I'd like to see Classe add that to allow us to deliver the highest quality audio available.

To add to the streaming concept, I'd really like Classe to integrate with a third party multi-zone option, such as Sonos. I know I toot their horn a lot, but it is really nice and if you haven't tried it, you really should. I am enjoying having multiple zones throughout the house.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

I totally agree that SACD and DVD-A are great sounding but they are dead. I know that there are SACD discs currently being produced but they are rare and the music is for a small market. It isn't a factor for 99.9% of all of the customers that I come in contact with. Again, I know they sound good, but it's just not important enough to enough people to invest the money in it. If it could be done at little to no cost, then fine. If it will add to the price of the player then leave it out.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

you really like to cause trouble, don't you? I'm the man trying to keep poor little ol' brooks down. woe is brooks...

do me a favor. go to a chevy dealership and tell them you want to buy a cadillac. tell me how far you get.
                                Huh?

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Did you see Denon announced a Universal player? Ryst brought up the ability to stream music to the SSP-800. I think the next gen player/transport would be the best place for this to ocur. So, I think that should be added to the feature list of your idea!
                                  Cool just like the Oppo http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/ :T

And by the way SACD is not dead if you like Classical Music 5301 discs. For all other music, yes I agree it is pretty much gone....:cry:

www.sa-cd.net, Linnrecords.com
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou

Make the above as a digital transport only. Charge 3-4k.

Also making a power conditioner/surge protector to match your equipment similar to the Rotel line made by APC.

Comment

• Smitty
                                      • Mar 2005

Mono amps in mirror images. They would look better side by side.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Smitty
                                        Mono amps in mirror images. They would look better side by side.
                                        like a left and a right option?

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"