X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

Hi-Def DVD now! Well, sort of

Samsung announced a DVD player that will upconvert standard DVD (480i/p) to 1080i or 720p! And, it uses a DVI connection so that all the conversion takes place digitally and gets input the same. Of coursse you would need a DVI input HDTV to get full benefit, but it should be a big improvement it seems to me. It also does DVD-A. Not sure how it handles the audio output, hopefully with a digital output also. The web page below will give you the news piece. Hopefully other brands will follow suit, so when HDVD comes around we won't have to replace all our old standard DVDs.

I am new here so not sure if the link works. If not, just copy and paste the url.

dsmith

<a href="http://db.widescreenreview.com/weeknews/FMPro?-db=webnewsearch.fp5&-format=record%5fdetail.htm&-sortfield=rank&-op=cn&Type=Web%20News&Year=2003&Month=01&Day=29&-recid=40318&-find=" target="_blank">http://db.widescreenreview.com/weeknews/FMPro?-db=webnewsearch.fp5&-format=record%5fdetail.htm&-sortfield=rank&-op=cn&Type=Web%20News&Year=2003&Month=01&Day=29&-recid=40318&-find=
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Actually, this is pretty cool, because it gives those with a true hi res display a "direct drive" upscaled source from conventional media. Sort of like upsampling CD's. Still not the same as true high res, but it should offer notably better quality from high quality source DVD's like the SuperBit series and other high bit rate DVD's (many conventional DVD's pretty much max out the old bit rate meter, like Kevin Costner's "Water World"). And you won't even need an HTPC! :LOL:

Finally a DVD player I can recommend on the same level as an HTPC! ThomasW, this would work with your 400Q! It would be intersting to see how this would look on high res digital projectors like the Sony widescreen models which do a pretty competent job of down converting 1920X1080i to 1366X768. The $64,000 question is whether it support component outputs, or just DVI- if just the latter, it won't work with any older displays. DVI at 1080i is just coming out now.

Since this is a press release from Samsung, it can be reproduced from their site:

Samsung Electronics America, Inc., an established innovator in the DVD category, announced the introduction of the first 1080i/720p DVD player, the DVD-HD931. The DVD-HD931 uses a completely digital process to deliver a 1080i/720p signal, making it ideal for consumers wanting to get the most out of their HD displays. The DVD-HD931 is the first DVD player to feature a DVI output so that it can deliver uncompressed digital video. The model has a host of advanced features such as Samsung's DNIe™ (Digital Natural Image engine) and Faroudja's DCDi™ video processing technology for enhanced video performance. It will also be Samsung's first product to support DVD-Audio in the U.S. The DVD-HD931 is a recipient of a CES Innovations 2003 Design and Engineering Showcase honoree award.

"The DVD-HD931 is the perfect solution for someone who has already invested in a HD Display or is considering making the investment and wants to get the most out of what DVD has to offer," commented J.R. deSouza, Marketing Manager of Digital Video, Samsung Electronics America. "Samsung has taken a strong position in the DVD category and we plan to maintain that level of commitment with the introduction of innovative new models that meet a broad array of consumer needs. The DVD-HD931 offers unprecedented DVD video and audio enjoyment."

Currently, consumers who have upgraded their home theatres with HDTVs do not have an abundance of high-definition programming available. The DVD-HD931 offers an alternate solution by upconverting a DVD's native resolution (480p) to output high-definition formats (720p/1080i). The most impressive attribute of this upconverting process is that it takes place completely in the digital domain, which eliminates data loss and other artifacts associated with analog convergence. As a result, the process opens up a vast library of quality viewing for consumers who want to watch digitally enhanced movies on their HDTV monitors and enjoy the highest quality video available on the DVD market.

The DVD-HD931 includes Samsung's first-ever digital processing algorithm--DNIe--for enhanced contrast and white tone, increased detail, and noise reduction. It also features Directional Correlational Deinterlacing™ (DCDi) technology by Faroudja. DCDi eliminates the jagged edges that appear when standard interlaced video is viewed on progressive-scan displays for a smooth and natural picture. The DVD-HD931 is also Samsung's first U.S. product to support DVD-Audio.

An elegantly designed gold/brass color chassis with a half-mirror front panel rounds out this component, which will be available in June 2003 for an MSRP of $349.

For more information about Samsung Electronics America, Inc., visit http://www.samsungusa.com.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

The only thing this really begs in my mind now, is what if you have a DVD player like this and a HDTV tuner or satellite receiver that also has DVI? Now you run into the same issues of having more sources with a particular connector than the video display has inputs for. This happens initially every time a new connection format comes out, like component video initially where A/V receivers and TV's at most had one input, but you could have multiple sources.

I sure don't know of any video displays yet with multiple DVI inputs, nor A/V receivers with DVI capability to switch video sources along with the audio.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, Chris, yo've probably nailed another issue right on the head. And part of the problem is that interfaces like DVI are probably much more expensive to implement than an analog component interface, and switching between multiple inputs will still probably have to occur internally in the set in analog mode. Which, if the set is a true digital display, won't work; it would require a digital data input architecture which is designed for selecting between multiple data streams. Or a set with built in tuner, but still an external DVI connection.

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Jon, how would this work with the VPL 400 ? To get HDTV, I would connect via component. Doesn't the Samsung require a DVI input on the PJ ?

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

If this feature does work only on the DVI output, then it wouldn't work with the 400Q. There aren't comprehensive enough specs available yet to ascertain this with certainty.

The goofy thing is that there are a number of projectors with DVI inputs that won't accept above 1280X1024 on DVI- limitation of the chipset used- and will take 1080i on component...

So, the utility of this unit, for many folks, will hinge on whether it will do 1080i upconversion on component- there still aren't that many monitors available with DVI-HDCP inputs. The DVI-HDCP style DVI input supports the copy protection for HD, as well as the HD resolution. Most early DVI interfaces don't support HD inputs. And HD copy protection on a DVD output is or should be something of a moot or irrelevant point, I'd hope. The Samsung unit won't be out until June; maybe earlier, we'll see some more detailed info.

There's been a hue and cry that the move to DVI inputs is obsoleting an entire generation of recently purchased HD capable gear (everything from last year back) and that mfrs would have to off DVI to component adapters to prevent consumer backlash. But there's no sign so far that they are going to do this, as it would defeat the intent behind DVI, which is to prevent their ever being a high res analong signal "in the clear" that could possibly be copied by someone astutue and hard working enough to build a component input hi def recorder in their living room... pretty stupid, when you think about it. Because the bandwidth required to record HD in analog is enormous. But right now you can buy HD Pc boards which record the broadcast MPEG transport stream on the HD- and these boards are as little as $300. If there's any threat to progam copyrights for HD, that's it- since manipulating MPEG at the hobbyist level and mastering lower res copies is already fairly straight forward. The horses are out of the barn, yet they're putting double plywood on a couple of the windows- even though horses won't climb out windows!

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jay Mitchosky
              • Aug 2000

DVD-HD931

Could someone point out where it says the 720p/1080i output is only from the DVI connection? The website indicates nothing that I can see. It would make no sense for them to severly limit their potential market in this manner. Unless explicitly stated otherwise I would assume the 480p/1080i/720p outputs are all available via either component or DVI. Just because it says "takes place in the digital domain" doesn't mean the output stays that way - my read is that they are highlighting the benefit of scaling in that manner vs. D/A to A/D conversion when using an external scaler.

I'm going to keep a close eye on this, particularly at that price point.
              --Jay

My Home Theater Setup and Pronto CCF...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Hope you are correct, Jay. I too am interested in this player.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

No later than June, we should all know....

This could be the first time I've bought a STB DVD player since 1998.

Let's cross our fingers....

Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

This is a cool idea, especially if it'll output HD via the component outputs, not only for the benefits of scaling, but so I'll finally have a way to calibrate the HD mode on HDTVs using VE or Avia! :yeah:

And I agree with everyone's sentiments on DVI/HDCP, and the industry's push to eliminate analog HD signals. What's the point when there's no device available to the consumer that will record such a signal to begin with? DVI (or Firewire) is a great idea, don't get me wrong but it should supplement, not replace, the analog component outputs.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                    My HT Site

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                      • Jan 2003

What type of connection is required for DVI. Is it a specific connector only designated for DVI or will other types connectors pass the signal. Sorry, but this is a new one for me. ops:

Comment

• dsmith
                        • Jan 2003

I believe there are current devices to copy HDTV, namely the JVC D-VHS, and a soon to be offered 250 gigabyte HD recorder from Dish that will record HDTV. I don't doubt the Dish HDPVR will have some kind of copy protection, as does the D-VHS. But someone will break the copy protection faster than you can say "duh."

Let me edit this to say that the above units copy the compressed HDTV signal; copying uncompressed or analog HDTV is something else, though eventually that too will sure to come to pass.

dsmith

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"