X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marantzsr8500
    • Apr 2005

Which DVD Player to buy??

Hi,

I'm a new member to HT Forums. I've been looking for a quality HDMI/DVI/SACD/DVD-Audio Universal Player for around $2000. I am leaning towards the Marantz DV 9500, but I also know that Pioneer Elite , Denon, and others have also very good sets. I know Samsung came out with one (Samsung HD941) for under $200. What do I lose if I go with the Samsung rather than the Marantz which is virtually 10 times the cost. I have a Marantz VP-12S3 DLP projector, and Marantz SR8500 receiver (both have DVI connections) and Mordaunt Short Series 500 speakers. I would appreciate any advice for a DVD Player for around $2000 and is very good. Thanks!
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Welcome Ashraf,
    When I went from a 100 dollar Sony to a closeout sale price 600 dollar Denon DVD player there was a huge difference in sound and especially picture quality.
    You are in for a real treat with your budget.
    ......Pat

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Don't look to Samsung for good music reproduction... period.

I've not heard it yet, but that Marantz is said to be outstanding for music, and would obviously complement your other Marantz components... other solid music performers around that price or somewhat less include Denon DVD 3910 (a consensus favorite on this forum) and Pioneer DV59-AVi (I've always had good luck with Pio).

It is rare to find a uni-player that is 'perfect' at everything, even for $2000... if video quality is critical, you may want to study video testing results for the above players here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi ... in short, the above 3 passed well enough, but some perform better than others... again, video testing only, but with high standards employed.

Your good budget gives you good options, but you should be able to get an excellent performer for under $2k.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• marantzsr8500
        • Apr 2005

Okay, I just checked out the Denon 5910 :E . Money being no object, between the Marantz DV 9500 and the Denon 5910, which one would you recommend? The Denon weighs more than twice as much, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Marantz.

Also, the Denon has THX Ultra capability, whereas the Marantz does not. Does THX really mean anything, because I have heard it is only a gimmick, and besides my Speakers are configured in a non-THX format, even though they are THX capable (not sure if Select or Ultra). The Denon is THX Ultra, but my receiver is THX Select II (Marantz SR8500). So, now that you know my environment, what would be the verdict, Marantz or Denon?

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I sent you a PM....
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

If you're still using a receiver, I would spend $1300 on a Denon DVD-3910 and then pick up a dedicated amp for around $1000 (5ch).
            ~Nick

Comment

• marantzsr8500
              • Apr 2005

That's a good point, however what I would really appreciate is if you would tell me about the Denon 5910 vs. the Marantz DV 9500.

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I use a Denon DVD-2900, the predecessor to the Denon DVD-3910. From what I've read, the upgrade to the 5910 gets you some real serious video processing stuff.

I think buying a $3500 universal player is a little out of place if you're still using a receiver though.

Here's a review of the 5910 if you haven't seen this one.
                home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss
                ~Nick

Comment

• Charl
                  • Apr 2004

You should also check out the new Onkyo DV-SP1000 which has been getting some really good press... I'm sure I've seen the retail price around $2,000.

Comment

• Snap
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2005

I would go with what Nick said. "Go with the 3910 and get an amp" I personaly would stay with Denon. I have the 2910 and love it. It was also said above to stay away from the Samsung. I agreee 100%

If you are really wanting to spend that much money on a player than the 5910 is the better bet in MHO. :T
                    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

I second the second -- Denon DVD-3910. Use the extra cash for something else as within a year or two you may want an HD-DVD or Blu Ray player. If you are looking towards the future, the Denon DVD-2910 will give you 95% of what the 3910 will give you a little closer to stop-gap prices. If you don't feel the need to be one of the first HD-DVD adpoters, then the 3910.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Just be careful with the 3910. It's currently not passing blacker-than-black. (pluge) It should be fixed this month with future production models.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

I would probably go with the 3910 although Yamaha has a new Faroudja based uni player with I-Link and HDMI for around $700 coming soon that also has a video off feature.

WIth HD-DVD/Blu Ray looming, I wouldn't spend too much.

Comment

• martino
                            • Aug 2004

I just got the Marantz DV9500

And it is wonderful!!..as of now I only use it for music...the sound is warm and detailed..I am very pleased!!
                            Recommended highly!

martin :T

Comment

• martino
                              • Aug 2004

how long to wait??

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                              I would probably go with the 3910 although Yamaha has a new Faroudja based uni player with I-Link and HDMI for around $700 coming soon that also has a video off feature.

WIth HD-DVD/Blu Ray looming, I wouldn't spend too much.
                              But how long til there is any decent new media in HD- Blu-Ray..enjoy the here and now...why wait!!!

Martin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Apr 2001

But how long til there is any decent new media in HD- Blu-Ray..enjoy the here and now...why wait!!!
                                Late this year, early next. HD is a quantum leap over DVD. Lots of people are not buying anything right now as much as they used to. They are only buying "must own" stuff because they know most of their library will get replaced in another year.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shane
                                  Lots of people are not buying anything right now as much as they used to. They are only buying "must own" stuff because they know most of their library will get replaced in another year.
                                  That's me. :agree:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Feb 2002

Oppo Digital - OPDV971H

Scored just behind the Denon 5910.

$3500 versus $200 is worth finding out for yourself. cheers!

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

much cheaper transition to blu-ray for the here and now. Don't forget that media will initially be through -the - roof. I betcha blu-ray will be easy $40 or more /title versus $20 on initial release for regular DVD. (In CDN dollars). Good Luck finding blu-ray titles on the used market for a good 5 years or so I bet.
                                    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2001

much cheaper transition to blu-ray for the here and now. Don't forget that media will initially be through -the - roof. I betcha blu-ray will be easy $40 or more /title versus $20 on initial release for regular DVD. (In CDN dollars). Good Luck finding blu-ray titles on the used market for a good 5 years or so I bet.
                                      Actually HD DVD has already said that their first run titles will be $5 more at $25 US compared to $20.

Also, The reason I wouldn't go that low on the totem pole is because if you want Hi Rez audio such as SACD or DVD-A. The Oppo doesn't support SACD but it does do DVD-A. Then again I'm betting pretty good money it stinks as a DVD-A player.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Feb 2002

The Oppo doesn't support SACD
                                        Well, true, but would you agree that SACD isn't exactly a fore-runner format anymore either....is it? I thought SACD was/is dying a rather good death?....mind you DVD-A isn't exactly toppling redbook CD sales either.

Ashraf,

PM Jon Marsh....he actually has the Oppo and can directly comment on the plus and minuses of the oppo rather than speculate.

regards,

Gord

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

I bought one of the very first Oppo 971's to hit the country- (back around Christmas time); have done both of the firmware upgrades. They've been very responsive to constructive inputs and make Zenith look downright slothful. The Oppo replaced a Zenith DVB318 used with a Key Digital transcoder into my NEC 9PG+ CRT projector.

With the Oppo, I use a Dtronics DVI-D to RGBHV converter; this works quite well; the unit does pass below "black" properly, has no black crush or white crush that I can see on test patterns, and like the Zenith before it, does a very good job decoding video or mixed source material, something I've had problems with on HTPC (which I still have) and previous STB DVD players (all $1K plus units, Sony and Toshiba).

On a couple of DVD's in very low light scenes I've seen slight evidence of macroblocking, but these are scenes which other players don't resolve any detail at all (Liteon LVD2001, for example).

Now, besides movies, I watch a lot of TV sourced DVD- I don't have cable, don't watch OTA, so some of my favorite shows are just from DVD, like Alias, Smallville, Millenium, The 4400, Stargate, etc. That's biased my preference to a player that does well with video or mixed source material.

I use this player, and the Zenith before it, in 1080i mode on my FPTV. Very slight scan line overlap, very film like picture even at the close viewing distance I use (about 8 ft).

Best $200 I've ever spent on a video source component.

Next expenditure will probably be an HD DVD player.

The direct audio out is markedly better than the Zenith, and it does decode DD and DVD-A- sounds pretty decent, though I prefer (for a budget unit) the Marantz CD5400 CD player on CD's. But I use a dedicated transport and Benchmark DAC1 for CD music normally.

It doesn't do SACD. I have a $3500 SACD player for that. Forget universals, IMO. But then, I have seperate music and HT systems.

The build quality is the best I've seen in a sub $300 player, but obviously that is something of a qualification. Since I'm not normally using any of the analog outputs from it (just DVI-D and SPDIF), it's really the transport responsiveness, MPEG decoding accuracy, and deinterlacing and DVI output that are the performance issues, and in these regards it works quite well (see the SOHTHF review), given the Mediatek controller and DCDi de-interlacer/scaler. Layer transitions are virtually seamless.

Note that analog output is ONLY 480i; there's no progressive analog output. IMO, this is fine. You can feed this into an inexpensive monitor to see control settings or setup, if your main monitor has any setup or lock on issues (many digital DVI units are a bit funny that way- my all analog rig and DVI decoding is seemless in that regard, it seems.

I'm not saying this is the best DVD player in the world (I'd not mind having an Ayre DX7, for example), but I think it's the best one under $500, and gives the ones up to $1K a good run for their money, depending on the features you want.

Notable films that looked quite good on this were ATOC, and LOTR:ROTK. The most recent DVD that impressed me is the release of "Firefly", that underated Joss Whedon space opera with remarkably good production values (for TV) and good writing and characters (only 11 episodes were aired; the DVD has all 14 which were produced). The pilot is damn amazing for a TV show, especially as regards overall cinematography, and is demanding and rewarding of a good projector.

~Jon
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2001

Well, true, but would you agree that SACD isn't exactly a fore-runner format anymore either....is it?
                                            No and it never was but it matters to alot of folks.
                                            I thought SACD was/is dying a rather good death?....
                                            Not really. Its just stagnant. Nothing is really pushing it away either. The mass market wants compressed garbage. If you are going to spend good money on a dvd player nowadays, the primary reason you want to is for better SACD/DVD-A playback. As you go up in scale, you get I-Link as well as better bass management which is VERY IMPORTANT for those formats and their supporters.

For pure DVD-Video playback, I would agree. As far as the original posters concern, he wanted an HDMI/SACD/DVD-A machine. The oppo wouldn't suffice.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

For up to 1K, I'd buy the Oppo, and a dedicated SACD/CD player for the same overall total. Plus, if one goes south for repairs, you still have the other.

Just my 0.02.

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                • Aug 2000

How about the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi? It does DVD, DVD-A, SACD, has HDMI which can do 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i, and an i-link output as well. It also has excellent DACs and sounds great with redbook CDs as well as the higher resolution media.

With a MSRP of $1600 that's well within your budget, and this player gets great reviews for both audio and video performance.

I grabbed one and will be using it in my HT after my house is rebuilt.

Comment

• gd
                                                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                                                  Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi... MSRP of $1600 that's well within your budget
                                                  You should be able to get it for 900, with a little searching.

I think it's more reasonable to get a separate DVD player for video... cheaper and more suited to fast-changing technology... easier to upgrade.

And a separate player for your music needs, if that's critical to you.

A universal that does everything perfectly?... doesn't exist.
                                                  greg (gd to you)
                                                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Feb 2002

For up to 1K, I'd buy the Oppo, and a dedicated SACD/CD player for the same overall total. Plus, if one goes south for repairs, you still have the other.

Just my 0.02.
                                                    That makes a lot of sense (unless space is a concern) :yesnod:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

But the Oppo is so THIN it essenitally doesn't take up any space compared to a "normal" DVD player! You could almost stack up three of them in the space the Marantz CD5400 takes....
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Feb 2002

:lol: Fair enough :T

I found the same thing with my Apex DIVX/DVD player and my Panny digital receiver. The 2 stacked together didn't equal the height of my old VCR

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2001

That makes a lot of sense (unless space is a concern)
                                                          What about Firewire(jitterless AFAIK) and digital bass management? That would be a GOOD REASON to stick with the above mentioned Yamaha and also the Pioneer or even the Denon 3910. The fact you don't need to use a bunch of analog cables which can get expensive is also very nice.
                                                          How about the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi? It does DVD, DVD-A, SACD, has HDMI which can do 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i, and an i-link output as well. It also has excellent DACs and sounds great with redbook CDs as well as the higher resolution media.
                                                          Don't forget I-Link(firewire).

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Feb 2002

What about Firewire(jitterless AFAIK) and digital bass management? That would be a GOOD REASON to stick with the above mentioned Yamaha and also the Pioneer or even the Denon 3910. The fact you don't need to use a bunch of analog cables which can get expensive is also very nice.
                                                            :yesnod: most definitely, all signs point to yes.

Money no object How about a Linn? :lol:

only a paltry 10K

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

I haven't seen ILINK (Firewire) capability spec'd in his Marantz receiver, so unless he upgrades there, it might be a moot point- barring plans to move to an amplifier which does have it. Then, it still comes down to the question of whether it might be better to hear SACD, for example, out of the DSD capable converters in the player, rather than converting to PCM and pumping it to a receiver...

Unfortunately, there are many trade-offs and issues to consider, and probably no once simple answer.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"