Sony KV-24FV300, Sony KV-24FS100 or Toshiba 24AF42?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomydingo
    • Jan 2003

Sony KV-24FV300, Sony KV-24FS100 or Toshiba 24AF42?

i'm having a hard time deciding between these 3 TVs. If I get the Sony KV-24FV300 it will be through an online store that will ship it to me, is that a good or bad idea? Have any of you heard good or bad things about these TVs. Thanks in advance!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Tomy - welcome to The Guide!

I can't help with the quality assessment as I'm a Pioneer and Mitsubishi owner, but I can offer this: Make ABSOLUTELY certain that the on-line dealer is a certified dealer of the brand and that the full factory (not dealer) warranty will be honored by Sony or Toshiba if you buy over the 'Net. I was burned once by this and it was for a big-ticket item too. Be careful.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• tomydingo
      • Jan 2003

thanks David, I've found some sites that have a really good price, but I'm not sure if they are a certified Sony dealer.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I can't comment to much on the Tosh since it wasn't one I was interested in when I bought my TV a few weeks ago but I'm very impressed with my 32" Wega (100 model)

Comment

• tomydingo
          • Jan 2003

OH, the site I am probably going to buy the Sony from IS a certified dealer and the full factory warranty will be honored by Sony! Thanks for helping me check this type of info.

Comment

• tomydingo
            • Jan 2003

well i decided on the Toshiba 27A42 27-Inch, it's cheaper, bigger and received the best review in consumer reports.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Good luck with the Tosh Tomy! Stop by the "At The Movies" forum some time.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Tommy it would also be wise to take some extended warranty on that Tosh. Please do.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• tomydingo
                  • Jan 2003

Why do you suggest the extended warranty? Do they have problems?

Comment

• Claude D D
                    • Jan 2003

You can't go wrong with a Sony.They still make the best direct view sets on the market.My KV27XBR55 is 11yrs old and going strong.

Comment

• skip marr
                      • Jan 2003

I would not waste $$ on an extended warranty. You need to let the TV burn in for about a week - leave it on 24/7. It's like a computer...if you are going to have any problems with it, it will be in the first few weeks, and that is covered under manufacture's warranty. Most go 1-2 years anyway. By that time, styles change as does technology, and you'd probably want something new if something major went out anyway. Kind of like leather couches - who wants to keep a couch for 20 years? Good move with the Toshiba!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

As far as extended warranties go IMO, they are almost mandatory for a rear-projection TV (RPTV). The guns (red, green and blue projectors) on them CAN go out at times after the initial warranty expires, and the cost of replacing just one gun will generally meet or exceed the cost of an extended warranty. On really big ticket units like a plasma, I'd pop for one just because it's fairly new consumer technology and at the price points of plasmas, why not buy a little extra insurance? For standard tube-type TV's, it don't think an extended is really necessary unless it's a 16:9 screen - there again it's the price of the tube that is in question.

Again, this is just my opinion. YMMV.

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"