X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Selling Speakers?

I'm getting out of HT. I want a nice stereo set-up and not much more. I've already sold my Anthem AVM-20. I'd like to sell off my DefTech speaker system and buy some nice bookshelf speakers & stands (I'm thinking hard about the Revel M20 http://www.revelspeakers.com/revelm20.html).

I could do the whole internet sale thing but the idea of shipping these speakers isn't exactly ideal. The BP-30 surrounds are ~90lbs each and the BP-2000tl mains are even heavier (~120lbs each?).

Putting value on speakers seems difficult too. How do I know what to ask for for a 5-speaker set-up? There are far fewer used speaker sales to watch and guage. It's much different than selling a receiver or amp.

What have you guys done in the past? Do speaker dealers ever accept 'trade-ins' on new speakers? I'm just seeking input on where to get started.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Silli,
    You shouldn't have any trouble selling your speakers on Audiogon. Looking through their ads should give you a good idea on prices. If you can't find your specific speakers for sell to get a price idea, look at how much "similar" speakers are discounted and sold used.
    Shipping is indeed a nightmare, not only cost (which can either be shared or be the responsibility of the buyer or seller) but, there is a good chance that the shippers will damage the speakers. I would suggest that you stipulate in your add that you are only interested in buyers that live close enough to you that you can deliver them yourself or have the buyer pick them up. After having problems with both Fed Ex and UPS that is what I did on my last two internet sells. Discount the speakers by the amount saved through no shipping costs and they will sell quicker.
    Good luck.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm getting out of HT.

Sili, was it something we did? I'd hate to see you leave, fella.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I'm flumoxed. Is it just that you quit enjoying movies Sili or that you found you just enjoy music more?

I am really curious, as I thought you were a guy that did enjoy home theater.

Mostly, the type of dealers that do any trading are more consignment based as far as here. Not sure about other places. We once had a place that traded, but those days are gone here.

Oh, and used gear generally brings about 50% of retail for current or near current model gear, electronics or speakers if your lucky. Of course, market influences can have effect, like what else is out there, are people buying, economy, product desirability, etc...

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Sili, I sold my Snell B-Minors and other Snell center and surrounds through the net and shipped all of them off via UPS with no problems. Those Snell B-Minors were neither like nor small as you may know.

None of these were even sold to the same person, I broke them up because I found it was easier to sell.

I did a search for "audio classifieds" and listed them in every classified I could find. Most of these were free although I did cough up a couple of dollars on one or two of them. I was bombarded with e-mails and sold these very fast for my full asking price. I remember Angibug telling me she was getting tired of all the e-mails about the speakers. I couldn't stop some of the ads, they had to run their course of 30-60 days in some instances.

Naturally you could list them in the various forums "Buy/Sell/Trade" area as well.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

A suggestion, next time Sonnie, set up a hotmail or yahoo account for your sale item, that way, when it's sold, just quit checking it, and it doesn't crowd your inbox, or release your email for spammers. phoey!

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Sili, please don't tell us you have forsaken HT Guide.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Good idea Lex.... now I know why I've been spammed so much.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for all the responses...and sorry for taking so long to respond. Allow me to explain...

I'm going through a divorce and have been offline for about a month. I have moved from the house to an apartment and my LARGE speakers are absolute overkill in this place. Additionally, I just want to go with a stereo set-up (stereo + a center channel speaker). While I do love HT I feel like I've fallen victom to the whole "more is better" marketing scheme and I want to return to the roots of good audio. HT is great but I want a more basic, accurate system that is better suited to my *new* lifestyle.

I'm hoping to strike a trade with a local dealer. I want to trade my entire speaker system for a pair of Revel M20 bookshelves and stands. They suit my needs very well but I'm not sure the dealer is as keen to the trade as I am. We'll just have to see.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Sorry to hear about the divorce Silli...best of luck with the trades and your future...remember we're interested in 2 channel as well so don't forget about us when you need to chat.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Sorry to hear this Sili. If ya' need to vent, I've been there. Do stick around, we need more 2-channel threads. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

My condolences, Sili; the big "D" is no fun under any circumstances, though in the long run it's sometimes the only resolution possible to a difficult situation. Best of luck.

This makes your "conversion" to a stereo or L-M-R setup quite understandable.

Don't tell anyone, but I don't have a surround setup, either! But since I'm probably known as the audio curmudgeon, that may come as no surprise.... :B

-Jon

Earth First!
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'm probably known as the audio curmudgeon

Nah, audio poobah is more like it.

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Sili, sorry about the big D, but hopefully things will turn out for the best. I can understand changing thnings to suit your new lifestyle. Best of luck.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• SiliGoose
                              • Aug 2000

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

I won't be going anywhere...I will continue to keep up on the world of HT.

-Sili
                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Glad to hear that, Sili.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• gil
                                  • Dec 2000

Sili,

Some dealers will take tradeins towards a new purchase but the "book" value they are willing to allow is well under 50%.

If you still have the original boxes then audiogon and ebay will be better. Maybe advertise for a local pickup sale on the forums.

IMO you do not need the center channel speaker. Get a good pair of bookshelfs and if you get a surround receiver eventually then a small bookshelf pair like NHT or JBLs work well.

How much are the Revels going for BTW? I myself was underwhelmed by them when I auditioned them awhile back. Dyne 1.3SE, Sonus faber Electa Amator II, and even Polk LSi-9 (under $650) are more to my liking for bookshelfs.

Take care,
                                  gil

Comment

• Ricky
                                    • Aug 2000

Sili,

If you could get bookshelfs and stands, would the footprint be big enough to just keep the BP30s as mains?

2 channel setups are nice, and fun to build/change.

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Being something of an expert on the subject, if you need to vent or need advice, let me know Sili. Bummer.

Lex
                                      Doug

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                        • Aug 2000

Thanks, Lex...I appreciate it. I'm actually through the tough stuff...just got to get the paperwork done. I wasn't here much through Christmas because that's when this all went down. So I've had the time necessary.

I'm dating already so I guess I've moved on.

Anyway...
                                        I haven't really shopped prices on the Revel M20s yet. A local dealer has them for $2000 (+ $200 for stands). They are fantastic, IMO. I would keep my DefTech CLR-2000 center until I could afford the $1700 matching Revel center. I really like the CLR-2000 anyway.

Ricky,
                                        Your suggestion is great but the BP30 (like all the bipolar DefTechs) really need a lot of room between them and the back wall. So it's not so much their size I'm worried about but the fact that they'd sit so far into the room that it would be awkward.

If I can't sell the BP2000's that's what I'll do. The BP2000's will sit in my computer room (unused!) and the BP30's will revert to being my main speakers (I've always thought the BP30 was a superior speaker anyway -especially for music).

I'd like to look as Sonus Faber but there is no dealer in my area. I'm open to hearing other suggestions for bookshelves. Anyone know anything about Linn? Do they make anything in my range?

-Sili
                                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Ricky
                                          • Aug 2000

Sili,

I don't think you really need a center channel. Stick with two speakers (and maybe a sub)....also easier to get good 2 channel gear than Dolby3 gear.

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

If you could find a set of Sf Concerto's used, just buy them, sight unseen, you won't be disappointed. If you are? Hell, I'll buy em from you. At half price of course.

What is it with women and holidays, that's when my only true wife did it to me. I'll never forget what she said on New Year's Day taking the Christmas Tree down. "That'll be the last time that tree goes up in this house". Man, that's just cold, the beootch! As for my other one, that was just a mistake, not a marriage. :roll:

I am unlucky at love I guess. lol.

Lex
                                            Doug

Comment

• Madd
                                              • Jan 2003

My friends wife just did the same thing to him these past holidays. It started at thanksgiving and the house up for sale right at christmas time. What the ? is it with the Holidays and Women? :roll:

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
                                              Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• dsmith
                                                • Jan 2003

Silli, I can understand getting rid of the big speakers but why ditch the AVM-20 since it is said to be a good stereo pre/pro, will give you the center channel, and eventually you will want to rebuild your full system. So what will you do for a preamp?

Anyway, good luck. But before you fork out all that money for the Revels, you may want to audition the Digital Phase AP-.7. I use these for my surrounds and they are full-range (flat to 35Hz) so you won't need a sub on music. They are not as exotic looking as the Revels, but are nicely finished in real wood veneer. I dare say they are more accurate than the Revels. Not sure what they sell for now, but I will guess about $800/pair. You can audition them for 30 days and send them back if they don't suit you. Their website link is below.

dsmith

Note: I just revisited the Digital Phase website and see the AP-.7 studio monitors now sell for $1,195/pr, a bit more than I thought. Still, they are a bargain even at that price, and still cheaper than the Revels. I see they have also started a pro-audio line but don't think you want those big suckers.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                                  • Aug 2000

I sold the AVM-20 just because I knew it would sell quick and I could get a decent return on it. In other words, fast cash to get me out of the house quicker. I still have my old Harmon Kardon AVR-7000 receiver to manage pre/pro functions for now.

The Digital Phase speakers are very interesting. Amazing bass output from 3" drivers. The website doesn't explain much about their "acousta-reed technology" and I didn't see any pictures of the drivers. How do they work?

-Sili
                                                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"