X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Audiogon and Shipping - Nautilus 803

Couple questions about an offer I received for my 803.

If I accept PayPal, and the buyer doesn't like the speakers, can they pull they money and keep the speakers?

Whats the best shipping carrier, if I have original boxes? Any tips on shipping?
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Shipping in original boxes?

I shipped both 804s and 803s. Both times they got damaged even though they were marked fragile and the 803s were shipped in the original box.

B&W doesnt suggest shipping N line via UPS, Fedex, they suggest using a freightline carrier or the such.

Its a gamble, id take pics before you box and insure for full amount if you ship.
    Chances are they will be damaged.

If they get damaged, YOU get reimbursed from UPS/FEDEX, then its your job to work it out with the buyer.

No they cant pull the money with paypal. If its sent look to see that its a confirmed address. Paypal will say, its either ok to ship, or wait to ship. Personally on something like that i would wait regardless, and ship after the funds from paypal are cleared in your checking account. 3-5 business days.

Just my thoughts.
    B&W

Comment

• atchudy
      • Nov 2007

where do i find a freight carrier?

Comment

• ribd1
        • Sep 2006

Check out www.freightz.com...they will find you the best pricing from multiple carriers. Goodluck!

Comment

• KODG MAN
          • Jan 2009

I HAD A PAIR OF 804S SHIPPED TO ME FEDEX ORIGINAL BOXES(OLDER) & A LITTLE EXTRA CORNER SUPPORT FOR TOP TWEETER AREA. SHOWED UP DAMAGED. BOTH LOWER & MIDDLE CROSS OVERS WERE DAMAGED (KNOCK LOOSE). THE CROSSOVERS ARE HELD IN PLACE BY LITTLE PLASTIC CLIPS(KINDA CHEAP IMO)
          FROM UPS: AT EACH LOCATION STOP THE SPEAKERS WILL GO DOWN 8-10 CONVERY BELTS W/8"-11" DROPS ON EACH BELT W/OTHER ITEMS WEIGHING UP TO 70LBS.

THE MIDDLE CROSSOVERS ARE BASICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO REPLACE. (MIDDLE BACK OF CABINET MOUNTED VERTICAL IN BETWEEN TWO SECTIONS OF THE MATRIX BRACING HELD IN PLACE BY 4 LITTLE PLASTIC CLIPS! THE SPEAKERS SHOULD ALWAYS REMAIN VERTICAL BECAUSE OF THIS.

THE BOTTOM CROSSOVERS ARE PRETTY EASY TO REPAIR. (HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO SOLDER)

I HAD A NEW SET OF 804S SHIPPED TO ME. I HAD THE SHIPPER DOUBLE BOX W/2" OF STYROFOAM TOP/BOTOM SIDES. ARRIVED IN VERY GOOD SHAPE. NOT EVEN THE SPEAKER GRILLS WERE BROKEN.

SO ORIGINAL BOX 2" OF STYROFOAM ALL THE WAY AROUND & SECOND BOX. BOTH BOXES WERE BRAND NEW & FOAM WAS CUT BY PROFFESSIONAL BOXER. (IF THEIR IS SUCH A THING) BOTTOM LINE THE ORIGINAL BOX WAS VERY TIGHTLY FIT AGAINST ALL STYROFOAM & SECOND BOX.

I HAVE DONE A LOT OF WORK ON MOST OFF THE 800 SERIES SO i MIGHT BE A GOOD SOURCE FOR PEOPLE W/REPAIR QUESTIONS.

KODG

Comment

• nikos
            • Dec 2005

On this topic...

Lets say they get damaged... does the recepient get to keep the damaged goods and the sender gets the refund?

How does this work?

Or do the damaged products get refused to enable you to claim insurance?

thanks
            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I'm wondering if local pick up would be an option for him.
              -Joe

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

I didn't have speakers shipped, but last week I did have (2) MC 1201 mono's shipped from Arizona to Canada via Fed ex freight, 380 lbs total weight, strapped on a pallet. Took 5 days and they arrived in awesome shape. Went through a broker, and had no issues whatsoever. Great service. :T
                Attached Files

Comment

• speakerboy
                  • Nov 2005

Atchudy,

See my thread regarding shipping: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=30478

But just to repeat:

DO NOT SHIP floorstanders via Fedex/UPS Ground...they WILL get damaged...ship freight. I shipped my HTM1 and pair of 803 speakers via Fedex Freight (Fedex National LTL is the official name) for about $250. The buyer received them in perfect condition. When I took the individual boxes to the Fedex Freight terminal, they had an available pallet and was able to shrinkwrap them. You want to make sure they don't stack anything on top of the pallet and to make sure that the pallet doesn't get broken up (i.e. keep boxes together and seperate them...hence, use shrinkwrap). They offer pick-up at your house too for a little extra cost.

The buyer told me he had purchased a pair of 803 speakers before mine, had them shipped Fedex Ground, and received them damaged. He sent me pictures of the box(es) having a hole in them and the tweeter was essentially smashed. They had to be totaled and it took him MONTHS to get compensated by Fedex's insurance. When they get totaled, you might not get your full value back. The speakers become the property of Fedex. Most of the time, the insurance pays the costs for repair. But those B&W speakers are hard to repair.

In the event of damage, Fedex Freight covers $25/pound. The moral: Ship big, heavy speakers via Freight!
                  Last edited by speakerboy; 15 February 2009, 13:19 Sunday.

Comment

• Ataim
                    • Aug 2008

I like Uship.com I shipped N802 in original box from washington state to texas for 220. Arived safely. I also shipped from texas to LA a pair of Magnepan without issue.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

The pair of 803s that got totally damaged by UPS last time I shipped the buyer kept the speakers, UPS reimbursed me full amount of sale price (cheap too) $2800 and I sent half of that to the buyer.

So he got some dinged up 803s for $1400, I ended up getting 4200$ for the 803s. Good deal on both ends, but what a pain in the fricken ass to deal with. He was happy with the outcome, I wasnt going to refund all his money and let him keep the speakers. I offered to give him all his money back and he send the speakers back to me, of course he didnt want that

I will never ship big speakers ups/fedex again. Freight only, and ALWAYS insure.

Damage reimbursement $$ goes back to the shipper, not the receiver.
                      B&W

Comment

• yourtoys7
                        • Feb 2006

I've shipped once as well, ups wouldn't pay for it. I lost good amount and now will not ship or buy unless I can drive to pick them up.
                        Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                        PSB T6,
                        Velodyne SPL 1000R
                        Rotel RSX-1057
                        Rotel RB-1070
                        OPPO 103
                        Apple TV
                        [

Comment

• Ken49r
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by nikos
                          On this topic...

Lets say they get damaged... does the recepient get to keep the damaged goods and the sender gets the refund?

How does this work?

Or do the damaged products get refused to enable you to claim insurance?

thanks
                          When an insurance claim is payed, the damaged item is destroyed by the carrier. So no you don't get to keep it.

The carrier will pickup the damaged package from the recipient to be brought back for claims inspection. If it is determined the shipper improperly packed shipment to prevent damage they will not pay the claim. They will want all the original shipping cartons and inner padding to see how much prevention was used.
                          Too often the publics perception is that a package rides in the same truck from pickup to delivery. Most have no clue how many times a package is handled from the pickup to delivery on an overnight shipment.
                          I am constantly refusing shipments because shippers use staples with no tape to reinforce the staples from popping out. or the secretary who only has scotch ,masking, or duct tape to tape the box with. These don't stick to cardboard very well. You have to use packing tape and lot's of it. My favorite one is when they put 10 lines of tape across the top of the 50 lb. box to keep it shut and forgot to put any on the bottom so it only has the one strip of tape.

Two things to do on the delivery end is to ensure the driver does a "damaged delivery" scan on the damaged package and take a digital photo of the box before unpacking. This will show the condition of the box at time of delivery and by using digital camera the date and time of the photo will coincide with the delivery time in the shipping carriers records.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"