X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gentner8
    • Dec 2002

HDTV receiver

I wanted to know what everyone's opinion is on the Panasonic TU_HDS20. What other recommendations would you have. I like the fact that its autosensing and switching, and the fact it has 720p native output. I would like some input guys!!

Jay
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Jay,

Welcome to The Guide! I don't have any info for you. I'm just curious about opinions on this unit also. C'mon gang!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I don't have one of these, though I have read good things about it.

When I looked for an HDTV receiver a year or so ago, I wanted a unit that would output RGB and component, both 1080i and 720P, and could output to 480i simultaneously while outputting an HD format (as a monitor or sleazo recording function. Flexibility, in other words. Surprisingly, one company makes a unit that will do this- Samsung. The SIRT150 is a pretty decent little box for not much moola.

Samsung has not really been a technology leader in the high end of TV displays, but they've been steadily improving. They have some pretty impressive bang for the buck PC LCD flat panel displays, and they now have some greatly improved TV displays, including a DLP rear projection HDTV using the new HD2 chip from TI, with an MSRP of $4500. Now, that doesn't sound very inexpensive, but the FPTV units from Sharp, Marantz, and others with this chip have MSRP's over $10K. They're a company worth watching; I think they're making a strong effort to beat the Japanese at their own game... pretty scary, actually, if you've ever seen the "Samsung town".

-Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gentner8
        • Dec 2002

So your telling me that the Samsung will do the same as this unit. The main selling point is the ability to do its own switching. If I need to switch between standard and HDTV, it takes away from the luster of a product. I am also assuming that the 720P is going to be the superior picture of all formats, or am I wrong in thinking that? I will do some reading on the Samsung tonight, it may cure my crave for now, until the box that does it all and has Tivo comes out....or does someone know of one now??? Thanks for the replies! Now if youll excuse me, I have to reformat my laptop....

Jay

MICROSOFT---Failure is not an option......its built in!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide Jay!

Sorry, I have no info on the product.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"