X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan Libby
    • Oct 2002

What To do with $2K???

I have @$2K for a 5.1 sound setup for 60%HT-40%music, not really interested in other channels. It seems that whether I go pre/pro or receiver, a good 5ch amp addition is the way to go. That will eat much of the $2K, if I do go with an amp.

I would like stay away from used unless someone tells me I'm really missing out.

I've been looking at what Rotel, Adcom, Denon, NAD and HK have.

I will actually be auditioning and purchasing speakers after this. I want to hear KEF's Qseries, Aperions, Axioms, Acoustic Energys evos and Energy Connnesiours. These aren't part of the $2K.

If any has any suggestions or opinions about how blow 2 G's, this rookie(and his friends) would be eternally grateful!!!
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Is the 2K just for a receiver/prepro and amp?

I thnk Outlaw said they will be coming out with a 5 channel amp with a little less power than the 755 that, paired with the 950, would be pretty nice and perform a little better (IMO) than even the nicest receivers. Definitely better than the sub-2K receivers.

Although I do like the Denon 4802 and Integra 7 series from what I learned about them when researching.

Actually, if I were buyng a receiver, I would probably get one of the Sherwood Newcastles. Hard to find dealers I hear, though.

BB

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Brandon, the answer to his question was no, speakers not included. Receiver or pre-pro and amp budget is 2K, right?

Rotel, not a bad choice, and I have to add that used amps can be the way to go. amplifiers really don't change that much in the 1K price range. So, it means you can take 1K and maybe buy close to a 2K amp with it used. It makes used amps the best value to buy used. pre-pros do change, as we all know, so new may be your better bet, unless you decide on something like a cheap Lexicon DC-1 or 2, which isn't necessarily a bad decision.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

I'll throw in my 2 cents!

I moved from a receiver to separates recently and am VERY glad I did. One reason: IF and WHEN I upgrade from my Rotel 1066 I can keep my amps for the next processor (an apparent arguement you've probably heard before but still valid in my opinion).

So if I were you and with the gear that's out right now, I'd have to second Brandon's Outlaw suggestion. Spend $900 on the processor (950) and that leaves you $1,100 to spend on a quality amp(s)! And like Lex said, you can get a very nice quality used amp(s) for that price!

Otherwise, if you can't decide, just give me the 2K and I'll figure something to do with it! :P

What every you do, you'll be happy no doubt!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

That's all true Ryan and don't forget you'll need good cables to round it all out. So leave a little dough for that purpose. Check with Lex, he'll be glad to help you there too

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

I will actually be auditioning and purchasing speakers after this.
            I'd buy the speakers first.
            They make a larger contribution to the sound of your system than any component you will buy. Find speakers you love and you'll be happy for a long time. I'd also spend more on the speakers than the components.
            Ideally, you'd audition your speakers with your electronics but if you must buy one then the other I'd go with the speakers first.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Ryan Libby
              • Oct 2002

Thank you for taking the time and sorry about the confusion. The $2K budget is for either a receiver, a rec. and used 5ch. amp combo (seems like the best option so far @2K unless I can get a decent pre/pro for $1000), or a 5ch. amp pre/pro combo.

The cables and wires are part of a seperate budget, and the speakers are part of a seperate budget.

I have to purchase either the speakers or a used amp before Christmas, and the rec. or pre/pro and either of the above later in the spring or summer.

After taking in all of the advice I have been searching for it appears that my best course of action is to find some speakers that I really like and purchase them first, (KEF Q series in the lead w/Acoustic Energy tailing.) Once I have done that, and the funds appear then I can get a rec. or pre/pro, benefitting from newer tech, or lower prices.

The used amp. I will purchase sometime in there.

I was wondering if I need to consider how my speakers match sonically with the amp, and/or the pre/pro or rec.? And how the amp matches sonically with the pre/pro or rec.?

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

I was wondering if I need to consider how my speakers match sonically with the amp, and/or the pre/pro or rec.? And how the amp matches sonically with the pre/pro or rec.?
                Sure, that should be part of your consideration. If at all possible you should audition your chosen electronics with your speakers.

While the electronics do have an effect on sound it's not an overwhelming effect (most of the time). The sonic character of your speakers will remain dominant. In my experience the speakers are the #1 factor in determining your system's sound followed by #2, the room. (some rooms might be #1) Back quite a distance would be #3, the amp, and #4 the receiver or pre/pro. Lots of people will tell you cables are high on that list but I would tell you those people are crazy.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Definately give the NAD brand a good listen too!
                  I used to own the t770 receiver and even though rated low in wattage output was very detailed and dynamic.

I have a passion for NAD..Excellent gear!:T

Trevor
                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                  Sonically Enhanced
                  C5
                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"