X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

What amp for 261s?

Still working on my 261s and I'm getting excited!

I'm thinking of taking a different approach to this in terms of the type of amp/receiver I will use. Since it will be awhile before I get to build the LCR and the 61s for a full surround setup, I figured I should get a good 2 channel amp for now, instead of a mediocre 5-7 channel. This way I'll get the most out of the 261s while I wait, and I can always get addtional amps later as I build the other kits.

My question is this... What stereo amp would you recommend in the $300-400 CND ($250-320 US) for the 261s? I have not been able to find out what the sensitivity and power handling of this set is, so I'm not sure what will be well suited. I am definately willing to buy used as well, so that means I may get more bang for my buck.

On a side note, what will you guys use to drive your 261s?
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

If no tips can be given, does anyone know where I can find the sensitivity and power handling of this kit?

Comment

• Al Garay
      • Jan 2004

Power handling is exceptional. You can put 800 watts 8 ohm and not compress them. I had the LCRs at my house over the weekend and they can do fine with as low as 100watts to 8 ohm. The LCRs are 89db at 8ohm. The Kit261 are also 89db at 8 ohm

So, they're very efficient. And have very high power handling. You want an amp with lots of headroom, current capacity. The Hypex UcD180 or UcD400 module based amps are perfect but are more money then you are looking to spend. Perhaps a Crown XLS or Behringer EP, trouble with these are noisy fans, or find a good deal on a used Carver, Adcom, Aragon (more money), Hafler to name a few.... Come to think of it, go with a Panasonic XR55 receiver and only use the digital input from your source (dvd, cd player). Staying all digital with the Panasonics gets darn good results.

Comment

• ekkoville
        • Aug 2004

I have been very tempted to begin a long DIY career with these LCR's and plan on driving them with a Rotel RMB-1095 at 200W per channel. Does this sound like enough current to drive them?

Comment

• Al Garay
          • Jan 2004

Heck YES! Rotel's are good about their specs so that will be plenty. Again, in most medium size rooms 13' wide x 17' long x 8' ceilings, true 100 watts at 8 ohms will work.

Comment

• maximumshow
            • Nov 2004

Great! thanks for the info. I could have sworn I checked the specs at adireaudio.com and didn't see that listed :Z.

I too wanted to get a Rotel rmb 1095, but it's too much money at once for me right now.

Comment

• Al Garay
              • Jan 2004

Get the Panny XR45, XR55, XR70 or JVC RX-F10, RX-201, RX-301...

Those are all in your budget and you get HT processing to boot. There are many good threads about these over at AudioCircle.com.

Comment

• Jam_Master_J
                • Mar 2005

Figured I'd throw this question in here too:

I'm building M8a/RS28 based MTMs(ported). I'm looking for a Cd player/amp combo for about $1000 CAD. I local dealer can get me the Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CD player and 640A integrated amp for $1000 taxes and shipping included.

Now, $1000 is about the most I can afford to spend anytime soon on electronics for my new 2 channel rig, will this combo hold back the diy speakers or will it be proficient? They have a clean 100 watts output into 4 ohms which is far more than what I probably need.

Comment

• Yves Smolders
                  • Oct 2005

I agree UcD400 would be nice here, but it's more expensive than $1000, especially if you have it built.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"