X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

DirecTV problem

I dunno, PC satellite signal is good. So, dish hasn't changed alignment much, and satellite PC is much more sensitive to exact positioning than directv. So, I dunno, I tried the other side of my dual LNB, no change, I tried tipping the dish a bit, thinking it might be signal reception, no change. It's just like I totally lost the signal. I turned off and unplugged satellite receiver, and rebooted. no change.

Of course, the morons at DTV might not even tell me if there was a system problem. I had a real twit of a tech on the phone. Tried telling me it was my installation. Duh, are you listening to me, I said it was working fine for 2 months!

My PC signal on the directduo dish is great. Just no satellite signal on TV, says move dish 3 degrees.

Since I am hopefully switching back to a cable modem Tuesday, then I may try moving the dish more, but I don't want to mess up my satellite PC signal, and it's a real pain to hone back in on if you loose it.

Ideas as to what went wrong? Yes, there has been storms and lightning here. Today even. Crap!

I do have another receiver and LNB, I suppose if push comes to shove I could try that route, just have to have dtv change over my account if it's my console.

However, as soon as I put the direcduo dish up, I had satellite TV signal. You align the PC LNB, not the TV. The TV is a given with the larger DirecDuo dish-

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lex, can you take your multi-meter and see if you are getting any signal at all down the cable path? Possibly a close-by lightning strike took out the cable or one/several of the connectors?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, last night I eliminated a surge protector in the loop, yes, a cable tv surge, and it started working. I dont' know yet whether it's the surge, or the cable that was going from the surge to the receiver (tv). I will check that cable out soon, and see what it was.

You weren't far off David!

thanx,
      Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, it boiled down to the cable from the surge protector to my DTV receiver. two things, one, I made these cables from crimp on F type connectors long ago. Two, I have dangled the receiver behind my system before from that cable, lol. real smart, huh?

So, it pulled the wire partially out of the crimp, meaning the center conductor wasn't seating properly to conduct signal.

Anyway, problem resolved!

Lex
        Doug

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"