DD-HD and DTS-HD : Will pre-pro's decode them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

DD-HD and DTS-HD : Will pre-pro's decode them?

Someone brought an interesting point to my attention the other day. Digital rights management with respect to audio. HDMI exists almost only because someone became concerned that DVI lacked the ability to control content, and allowed users to make a perfect 1:1 copy of digital video material.

So, what about DD-Lossless (or DD-HD, or whatever it will be called)? Will it be passed via a digital cable to a pre-processor for decoding? Or will it be decoded at the source player and require analog outputs to a pre-pro?

What might the cable be like? Will current digital coax cables handle the bandwidth? And if it can be decoded at the pre-pro level, what kind of processor will be required to decode up to 8 channels (7.1) of "lossless" audio signal?

I guess most of my concern comes from considering an upgrade to my current pre-pro. I hate the idea of buying a pre-pro that cannot decode the upcoming DD-HD format. But then again, if pre-pros wont be ABLE to decode that format...? I don't really like the idea of 8 analog interconnects and would MUCH prefer a single digital cable. But, if it's not going to exist anyway, perhaps there's no point in waiting.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinons, rumors, or facts. Please, just be sure to note the source of your information so there are no misunderstandings. Thanks!
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

DD+ and DTS will be decoded by the player at first until decoders get updated with the correct processing algorithms.

So for now you'll have to use HDMI V1.1 out of the player to the pre or receiver with HDMI V1.1 or analog outs.

In the future your processor will have the formats on them so you'll just use HDMI v1.3 then.

In either case you won't be able to use optical or coax like you do now.

Also it's pretty likely your current pre pro will need to be replaced if you wish to hear the new formats.

Otherwise they are both backward compatible with current DD and DTS.

Comment

• gostan
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
      Also it's pretty likely your current pre pro will need to be replaced if you wish to hear the new formats.
      Unless you have a pre-pro from a manufacturer that not only promises future upgrades, but actually delivers on those promised future upgrades.
      Stan

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

But those are far and few between so that's why I said "Pretty likely"

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

The HDMI cable makes perfect sense, and I totally forgot to consider it! So, that format of cable can handle whatever bandwidth will be required for the audio signal? And as far as backwards compatable, I presume that means any chip that can decode DD-HD can decode DD 5.1? Is that due to having 2 algorithms on 1 chip, or is the decompression algorithm for DD-HD the same? For that matter, is DD-HD going to be compressed?

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

DTS and DD on the future formats are lossless.

The backwards compatibility is there so that those of us who don't upgrade our receivers will still be able to listen to the new format. Optical and Coax will work for those.

Comment

• EAmin
              • Aug 2004

I’ve always been curious as to how DD and DTS HD (future formats in general) will impact connections from pre/pros to amplifiers. Will we be seeing HDMI connections there? Or will that always remain analog. It seems there will still be a D-A conversion that happens because we hear analog. So I'm guessing amplifiers will still have analog connections in and out.

Sorry if I'm changing the subject. Just curious.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

We're seeing HDMI connectors on receivers and preamps right now and have for the last year or so. It won't remain analog.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"