X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg Stone
    • Aug 2000

weird cut off problem

Tonight while watching "The Rookie" on DVD, my Denon AVR3300 just shut itself off right in the middle of the movie. I tried to get it to work again immediately, and the power would come back on, but as soon as it was going to start sending sound out, it would shut down again. It has never done this before.

I unplugged it for about 5 minutes, and tried it again. It shut itself off again. Unplugged it again, and left it unplugged about 30 minutes. It is now working fine again, and has worked for over 3 hours as I caught up on some of my Sopranos DVD's.

Any idea what the heck happened? I could see no speaker wires touching, and it gets adequate ventilation. The only thing that seemed weird was the power cord was at a hard angle after I had pushed the receiver back, so maybe the bend in the cord was hurting it somehow? Just don't see how since this just problem just started, and the receiver has not been moved in months. Had it well over 2 years now, and don't think it is covered under warranty anymore, but would have to try and find the paperwork.

Anyone ever have something similar happen to them?

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg's DVD's
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That is strange Greg. I've not heard/read of this being a problem with the 3300. Let's hope it was just sun spots! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Greg is it possible to give that power cord some slack? Althouh you cannot see any damages outside the unit, it may very well be inside near the regulator. However, it's not very expensive to replace. If it should shut down again to prevent any further damages, don't try to re-start it, get it serviced. Also, check your speaker cable connections at both ends.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Is it possible it went into protection mode and shut off? I've had receivers do that from time to time when I got a little overly aggressive with the volume.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Greg Stone
          • Aug 2000

Sili - it might have, but I believe I was playing it at -15, and reference is at -10 on my system. I also thought it went into a protection mode, but still can't figure out for what reason.

Greg's DVD's

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Greg,

Do you normally listen at the level you were using when the receiver shut down? If so, it probably isn't Protect mode. If you normally listen at a lower level, it could well be the Protect mode. Were you having one of our famous little Texas T-storms at the time? If so, you could have had a power fluctuation which caused it to shut itself down.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Greg Stone
              • Aug 2000

Yes, that is about the level where I normally listen to movies, and yes, we were having some storms now that I think about it. Nothing else shut down power wise, so I didn't think about that. I also have my ht stuff run through a surge protector and a power conditioner, but that still could be the answer.

I'll let everyone know if it happens again. Thanks for the responses.

Greg's DVD's

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"