X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chip
    • Aug 2001

Multichannel SACD via SCD-C555ES through Denon 5803 question

I hooked up a rear center this morning to check DTS-ES discrete (Haunting DTS-ES, works pretty good even with the rear-center right over top me on my dvd storage rack, distance set too 0). I then was curious how this new speaker configuration would handle a multichannel SACD (James Taylor-Hourglass). I thought since this is a 5.1 mix that NO sound would come from my back center (B&W LRC3) but, i'm getting sound? Is this correct? Anyone's help would be appreciated, thanks.

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
    Chip Engle

My HT
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Chip I'm not sure what formats the Denon has on it but my Rotel will using its internal XS processing to utilize all speakers defined in the setup...ie if I have 7 speakers and play a 5 channel mix it will matrix the rears so they are used. From my experience so far Rotels XS processing is equal to Dolby's and DTS's matrixed modes. Your Denon might have something similar as well..maybe check a straight 5.1 DVD and see if the rear is used there or if it only engages when you select ES or EX modes.

Comment

• Chip
      • Aug 2001

Good idea Andrew...

So, are you saying that most likely, the discrete multchannel track is playing correctly (and discretely) but matrixing only the rear center? I think thats what i'm getting.. More tinker'n.. 8O

Chip Engle

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
      Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

yes that's my guess.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
          • Feb 2002

Are you able to engage the Ex/ES processing on your Denon even when you are using the analog inputs for SACD play-back? I didn't know that was possible since you would be applying extra processing.

Comment

• Chip
            • Aug 2001

Thats right. There shouldn't be any processing. Hmmm.

Chip Engle

Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Chip
              • Aug 2001

Well,

It was really bugging me so, i decided their had to be something i was missing. Especially when i switched to two channel and the sub was still active! I went into the onscreen display, through the menus and discovered an option under the "external in1" for "DSP" or "analog". It was set to DSP. I switched it to analog and bam!, no more sub in two channel. I then switched to the multichannel track and DEAD silence out of the rear center. I got it! Cool....have a good weekend folks.

Chip Engle

Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Good catch Daryl.

Glad you found the problem Chip.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"