X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

How to put cable in the ceiling.

Because I am be getting a FP I am starting to think about what to do with all the cables. My HT is in my family room, which is on the first floor of a two-story house. So is it better to ripe out the ceiling or pull up the rug on the second floor.

If the cables in in-wall do can they still be regular cables or do you have to buy special in-wall cables?

Also is 60ft too long for speaker cables?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mark, in-wall rated cables do exist and I recommend them as they adhere to building codes and will survive well in that environment. As to running the cables, if you pull up the carpet on the second floor you'll still have to go through the plywood/mdf to get to the joists. I'd go through the sheetrock from below, it's much less work. For a 60' run, I'd be sure and use a 12 guage run at least - 10 guage would be better IMO - but I've been known to overbuild at times. Also, keep your speaker/projector runs separated from any electrical runs by at least a foot - more is better. If you have to cross any electrical runs, do it as close to a 90 degree angle as you can - this'll minimize any interference.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

Thanks David!
      I know I will have to cross some electrical so 90 it will be. I will be hiring an Electrician to add an electrical outlet in the ceiling. This FP stuff is involved!

So who manufactures cables for in wall runs?

Lex how about Cats do you have in wall cables.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Mark, in our old theater room which I built, I used Monster 12 gauge in-wall cable for the surround run. I'm not sure that it's still available, although they do have a 14-16 gauge in-wall offering.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

thanks David, I will look around and see what my options are. As you mentioned I don't think I will use anything less than 12 guage for that long of a run.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Mark,
            Well, I have some nice 12 gauge, well insulated, but not sure about it's in wall rating. I can check though.

Monster does make a lot of in wall stuff.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Lex. I’m not sure I want Monster I would be more incline to go with cats. Does you have any flat cables lex?

I’m thinking that having the cables in wall is not necessarily a good thing to speakers. Yes it will look nicer but it really limits the cable used.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Mark, sorry for the delay. Not really into flatline stuff at present. Maybe I could get my hands on some for you though, if need be... Just drop me a note when you figure out what you need.

Thanks,
                Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"