X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

OK...now I'm thinking separates

I've gotten caught up in the excitement leading up to the final release of Outlaw's 950 pre/pro. Even though I'd have to get creative with some inputs (not enough component ins) I'm seriously thinking about getting in line for one of these.

That leads me to the amp question. I want a used 5 channel amp. I'd like to spend under $700 for it if at all possible. I've been looking at Audiogon and Ebay but wondered if you guys had other suggestions for where to look.

What brands/models/specs could I expect to find in my price range?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

Sili,
    In that price range currently you should be able to find used.
    1) Acurus 125x5 ( can even get it new for that )
    Acurus amp supposedly lean toward the bright side. May not be the best choice for your Definitives.

2) Marantz MM9000. I just sold one of these for $500.00
    its 150w THX Ultra Certified. I didnt spend hardly anytime listening to it, but I hooked it up to verify it worked. And it did sound nice with the definitives. This amp has received mixed reviews. Not sure why though. The guy who bought it said it was much more musical than his previous Carver amp ( not sure which model)

3) 5 Marantz MA 500 Monoblocks. They can usualy be found for about $750 for five. I have owned these, and loved the way they sounded. Nice part is each amp has it's own power supply, ssso no bleeding of channels. Drawback is 5 AC plugs.

4) HK PA5800.. I had one of these for just under two years. It is rated at only 80 watts per channel, but it was able to power my easy to drive Definitives with no problem. Sounded very nice.
    There was one on hometheater forum the other day for $300.00

5) Parasound HCA855. 85 x 5. I know nothing about this amp other than it can be had new for under $500.00. Parasounds are said to be a warm sounding amp. I have read comments of other definitive owners saying they like the sound of Parasound with the Def Tech speakers.

I'm sure there are others, but this will help you start looking.

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for the jumping off point. I've been all over Ebay and Audiogon...where else should I be looking? Any suggesions?

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Well I made a purchase...

I got a new Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080. Hope to have it soon...still a little uneasy about owning a "Sherwood" but it seems to be a solid amp.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

From all account Silli that Sherwood amp is a great sounding amp.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yeah Sili,

Listen to Andrew. You made a good choice. Sherwood was down the ladder for a while, but for the last few years they've put out some well received - good sounding products. Enjoy!

Oh, how about a review after you've used 'er for a while?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

isn't this amp part of the newcastle line anyway? I gather thats compareable to Sony's ES line in that the Sherwood make is the lower end stuff with Newcastle being the upper crust stuff.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"