X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Denon 5910 is Coming - New Chip and All

Posted In 2 Forums
    Check out the news release below - if its as good as being touted then its sure to blow away anything out there even the highly touted new Arcam. Only problem is the price - article below says £2499.99 in the UK (does that translate into $4,500 USD?).

Denon Selects Realta Hqv™ Video Processing

DENON SELECTS REALTA HQV™ VIDEO PROCESSING
    CHIP FOR ITS FLAGSHIP DVD PLAYER
    World preview at London Hi-fi Show on November 5, 2004

San Jose , Calif. (Nov 5, 2004 ) - Silicon Optix’s Realta chip with Hollywood Quality Video (HQV ) technology has been selected by Denon for its new DVD-A1XV DVD player (DVD-5910) in the USA .

“For our flagship DVD player we needed the industry’s flagship video processor. Once we did side-by-side comparisons, we quickly realised that there really was no other solution that could match the incredible picture quality that the Realta HQV chip delivers,” commented Roger Batchelor, Product Manager of Denon UK ..

The award-winning Realta chip originates from Teranex’s $60,000 broadcast and post-production platforms. Teranex’s software algorithms run on Realta’s fully-programmable, trillion operations per second video processing engine to deliver a new standard in image quality, a standard Silicon Optix is calling ‘Hollywood Quality Video’, or HQV.

HQV represents the world’s highest quality de-interlacing, pixel-based noise reduction, automatic per pixel film/video cadence detection, and detail enhancement.

“No other technology enables a level of image quality that comes close to HQV, when converting standard DVD video and film to high definition, “ said Roger from Denon.

“With the introduction of the DVD-A1XV consumers can upgrade their home theater systems to experience true Hollywood Quality Video,” continued Roger. “The Denon DVD-A1XV, which is already seriously high-end in every respect, will feature the ’HQV Powered by Teranex‘ logo so that customers know that they are getting the world’s very best video processing, in the world´s best DVD Player."

“The Realta HQV chip is the new leader in video processing. Big kudos to Denon for being the first manufacturer to bring this powerful Teranex-in-a-chip video processing to the home," said Pete Putman of HDTVExpert.com

The Denon-A1XV DVD player will be available in the UK in the first quarter of 2005 and has an RRP of £2499.99 (TBC) US availability of the DVD-5910 should be in the same timeframe.

To learn more about Realta HQV go to www.hqv.com .

About Denon:

From its beginning in the 1930s as a supplier of professional recording studio and broadcast equipment, Denon has become a world leader in the manufacture of the highest quality audio, audio/video, and software products. Denon is recognized internationally for innovative and groundbreaking products and has a long history of technical innovations, including the development and first commercialization of PCM digital audio. Additional information is available at www.usa.denon.com OR www.denon.co.uk .

About Silicon Optix Silicon Optix Inc., a privately held fabless semiconductor company, is the leading supplier of advanced digital image processing integrated circuits focused on the capture, transmission, and display of digital visual information. Silicon Optix´s highly patented IC products enable the convergence of digital image processing and optical system design, making possible a variety of new product categories that could not be economically realized with existing technologies. Silicon Optix is the first company to deliver high performance electronic components, that optimize overall image processing/optical systems present in many existing and emerging applications. Silicon Optix is headquartered in San Jose, California, and has facilities in Toronto, Canada; Hannover, Germany; and Taipei, Taiwan. For more information about Silicon Optix Inc., please visit the company´s Web site at www.siliconoptix.com.

Media Contact:

Sue Morgan
    Nicoll Public Relations
    (781) 762-9300
    sue@nicollpr.com
    Company Contact:

Brian Hentschel
    Manager, Marketing Communications
    (416) 490-7779, ext. 233
    Investor Relations:

Leanne Sievers
    Shelton IR
    (972) 239-5119, ext. 114
    lsievers@sheltongroup.com

The weakness in my video system is not my displays pixel resolution it’s the source!
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Great find ADZ. Thanks for posting.

Just when I thought I was through upgrading for awhile ....come to think of it, I haven't even received my most recent upgrades!!!

I hear that my stuff gets shipped via freight on Monday (so I'll probably see it the following Monday).

Thanks again for the info....

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Good find, sounds like an amazing machine to beat all machines :drool:

I'm sure anyone on this forum would be more than happy to own one (including me! ) but I have to ask what percentage of people are willing to spend that kind of cash on a, albiet VERY nice, DVD player whith BluRay / HD-DVD so close....? Sure the few folks in the hobby with tons of disposable income but.... anyone else?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Steve Goff
        • Feb 2002

Given current exchange rate, that is about $4,642.00 US, which is much more than rumors had it.
        Steve Goff

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Good call Jason...with all that other stuff so close, it would be difficult for even the most diehard, have-to-have-the-newest-gadget-upgraditis guy to go for this.

But I am sure we can all agree, Denon's been around for a long time and if they didn't think they'd make money on this machine, they would never have brought it out.

Jim

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

Yep, I wasn't kidding when I said $4,500!! But perhaps it will be less in the USA as its just the weak dollar that' making it appear way out there --- afterall it isn't manufactured in the EU is it?

Also, do we know for sure that HD DVD/Blue Ray will require a different format /chipset in a DVD player to play? Probably but I'll ask anyway.
            Adz

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Adz,
              Yes it requires a new blue laser if Blu Ray is the format of choice. HDDVD will likely be a different player but nobody knows for certain. Blu Ray is for certain though.

I do agree with the concensus that this is too much too late with Blu Ray & such on the way.

Still I'm betting that atleast 1 or 2 members take a jump on it and I'm willing to bet I know WHO.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Count me out!!!

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

I suspect from Denon's point of view, they can get at least 2 years from this new DVD player before Blue Ray or HD-DVD really take off into the mainstream. Who knows - I agree, count me out, unless they come out with a statement that the 5910 can be retrofitted to handle either new standard.
                  Adz

Comment

• jazznsoccer
                    • Apr 2004

Blu Ray soon?

How long do you think it will be before we have HDDVD?

I don't think there will be much movement until the formats get worked out. Then there will be the hardware versus source material chicken/egg problem. I think this will be a slow start and it wouldn't surprise me that it will be more than 2 years for the players arrive from more than 3 vendors or more than 3 years before it's routine to find HD DVD discs.

In that time some of the members will have upgraded 6 times...

I'd like to hear a poll of fearless prognosticators...

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

If I were spending the cash to put a device with this fantastic scaling capability into my setup, I would be buying a scaler and running all my sources into it. They will be out in a year or two. Then you can just by a solid DVD player with HDMI out and send 480i to the scaler and let the HQV make it pretty, along with your TV and HD imagery.

And hopefully, that is exactly what I will be doing.

Of course, If I had somewhat more cash, I might opt for the the now AND later plan.

BB

Comment

• Adz
                        • Jan 2004

DVDO by Anchor Bay Technologies chosen for Denon’s Flagship DVD Player

DVDO Precision Video Scaling by Anchor Bay Technologies chosen for Denon’s Flagship DVD Player

Campbell, California - November 17, 2004 - Anchor Bay Technologies, Inc. (ABT), creator of the award-winning DVDO (R) video processing technologies, today announced that its Precision Video Scaling (TM) technology has been selected by Denon for use in the new DVD-5910 reference quality DVD player. This model is marketed by Denon as the DVD-A1XV outside the USA.

“DVDO technology delivers performance without compromise, each and every time we have used it in new products over the years,” stated Jeff Talmadge, marketing manager at Denon. “We were first introduced to DVDO technology in late 1999. We released our first product with DVDO technology in 2001. This was the very successful DVD-2800. We are very pleased to use the newly developed DVDO Precision Video Scaling technology in the DVD-5910. This new scaling technology is the crucial and very important final step in the overall conversion process to HD resolution video.”

DVDO’s Precision Video Scaling technology was developed by Anchor Bay Technologies, Inc., a leading video technology startup, founded in 2001 and headquartered in Campbell, California.

Anchor Bay Technologies Vice President of Technology, Mr. C. H. Chee, stated “We have been privileged to work with Denon over the years to provide video processing technologies for their products. Denon products are among the very best available, and Denon is known for performance and quality the world over. It is our pleasure to provide our new scaling technology to the Denon design team and to Denon customers worldwide.”

Anchor Bay Technologies provides both chip and system level video processing solutions to equipment manufacturers and end customers. DVDO Precision Video Technology is featured in all system-level products bearing the DVDO logo, including those from Anchor Bay Technologies and other companies. ABT is engaged in the sale of its semiconductor technology to OEMs for design into new video products, and also maintains a global distribution and sales network for its system-level product line.

About Anchor Bay Technologies
                        Headquartered in Campbell, California, Anchor Bay Technologies, Inc. (ABT) is a privately held technology startup that designs, manufactures, and markets semiconductor and system-level solutions for the next generation of Digital Television and Digital Video products. The company’s mission is to provide world-class digital media control and processing technologies for the global consumer electronics market. The ABT Team is the creator of the award-winning DVDO iScan (TM) family of video processors. The DVDO and iScan trademarks are licensed exclusively to ABT. ‘Precision Video Scaling’ and ‘Precision Video Technology’ are trademarks of Anchor Bay Technologies, Inc.

About Denon
                        From its beginning in the 1930s as a supplier of professional recording studio and broadcast equipment, Denon has become a world leader in the manufacture of the highest quality home theater, audio and software products. Denon is recognized internationally for innovative and groundbreaking products and has a long history of technical innovations, including the development and first commercialization of PCM digital audio. Denon Electronics is a wholly owned subsidiary of D&M Holdings Inc.
                        Adz

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

....actually I have to say it bugs me buying a DvD player that is supposedly really good...knowing that it's base sucks......meaning natively HD dvds are coming out...rather than taking a dvd 480 and upsampling the living gadgeenas out of it....

I do it with an LG7832.....at a cost of just about next to zip.....it becomes outdated.....I don't care.....

anyways just my 2 cents...
                          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• BobbyDS
                            • Nov 2004

Video Processing still needed for years

I think you're right, only a few people would buy this 5910 - and I'm sure that Denon knows how many will.

However, what I'm looking forward to is when they put this Realta HQV stuff in their next top end AV Receiver, which I hear will do HiDef Switching.

There is no question that I will be upsampling regular DVDs for years, as even when HiDef Disks (either format) arrive, it will take time for all my material to appear in the new format.

For my particular setup, I have chosen to get most of my material in PAL format DVDs, which carry a lot more video data. The trade-off has been that there is less space on the DVD for audio, so they mostly feature Dolby 5.1, with a few disks doing the full DTS.

As a DVD player, I have a modified UK Pioneer, region-free, with an aftermarket SDI (Serial Digital Interface) output hacked in. This means I can transfer to RAW digital data coming off the disc straight into the Faroudja scaler, without any conversion to analog between disk and screen.

The output from this setup (with a PAL source) is very close to 720 hidef quality (even though I actually scale it all the way to 1080p). This arrangement is not dissimilar to what Samsung are doing in their HD941 (NTSC) and HD945 (PAL/NTSC) units. (By the way, these units are BARGAINS! They use the same Faroudja FLi2300 chip that my 1010 Processor does - but only get these if you use the Digital output, the analog SD output is not great).

The Pioneer outputs true NTSC and true PAL through the SDI, depending on what's in the drive.

I can very easily see this setup being needed for years, although clearly I will buy replacement HiDef Disks as quickly as I can get them. Wehether its BlueRay or HDDVD, doesn't matter to me - I'm only a mortal and don't meddle in the affairs of gods. It may end up being a similar situation to SACD and DVD-A - most new players today can handle both.

Note that DVD is not the only thing that will continue to need to be upsampled - HiDef satellite and DVHS stuff is also in my library, and I'm not planning on throwing it away anytime soon.

I'm looking very closely at the Denon announcement - if they feel that the Realta was better than the Faroudja, then I'm very keen to get a look at it, since it got to be REAL good then.

Much as you see tons of DVD players and Video processors with Faroudja DCDI, etc, expect to see the same thing happen with Realta HQV as well. I hope that it IS better, as this will raise the game, which suits me fine.
                            Last edited by BobbyDS; 27 November 2004, 09:00 Saturday. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

As a DVD player, I have a modified UK Pioneer, region-free, with an aftermarket SDI (Serial Digital Interface) output hacked in. This means I can transfer to RAW digital data coming off the disc straight into the Faroudja scaler, without any conversion to analog between disk and screen.
                              Not quite. You can take the Bt656 digital video stream that your DVD player's MPEG decoder has created from the RAW digital data found on the DVD, and feed that straight into the Faroudja scaler.

BB

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"