X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Sherwood P-965 pre-pro not working - may need new pre-pro

I finally spent the day getting the home theater hooked up in our new SC house. And discovered that my workhorse P-965 isn't working. It powers up, the display lights up and it goes to the selected input if an input button was used to turn it on, and then nothing. No sound, and no buttons or remote signals respond. I tried a factory reset, no dice.

Maybe I'll pop the cover and see if anything is loose inside, but I may be shopping for a new pre-pro or receiver. What are good ones that aren't too expensive these days? Prefer a prepro, but a receiver with pre outs would work too. Maybe it's time to upgrade anyway since the P-965 doesn't do HDMI or the newer audio formats.

Thoughts?
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Budget?
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

$2k max but under $1200 preferred.

First I'll see if I can get the 965 working.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Success! P-965 is up and running, and sounds great!

Now I won't have to spend money on a new pre-pro, for at least another year or so.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Congrats. Was it a mis-set switch or something? I had a buddy wanting to throw out a receiver some years ago because he was getting no sound. Turns out a muting button was pressed (very tiny, so he didn't notice it until I showed it to him--nearly 10 years on and he's still using it).

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

No, some connector was probably not connecting right. Carrying it to the shed "fixed" it. I opened it up and reseated all the cable connectors inside, and it's been working fine since.

I'll probably still upgrade in a year or two, just to get back into the modern era (HDMI, HD audio formats, network/streaming features, etc).

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Here's a :banana: to the new HT setup. Now you just need to upgrade!!!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"