X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cxv
    • Sep 2014

New receiver for Blu-ray speaker system

Hi all, hoping you can help me get some use out of a Sony Blu-ray Disc home theater system I received without the receiver component. The model number is BDV-E300. In this system, the Blu-ray player acts as the receiver for the speakers. My problem is I don't have the Blu-ray player. Can I buy a new receiver to use with these speakers? If so, can you recommend a solid entry-level receiver? Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

CXV
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

So you just got the subwoofer and the speakers then?

Here's the manual for the system: https://docs.sony.com/release/BDVE300.pdf

One common issue with these "home-theater-in-a-box" systems is that they're often designed to work together and aren't optimized for use with other gear. For example, the receiver/BD combo may have built-in equalization to make the cheap speakers sound better.

Also, it looks like the subwoofer isn't self powered, it's powered by the receiver, while standard A/V receivers just provide a line-level output for the sub.

You're probably best off getting a decent receiver and a set of quality speakers, instead of trying to use cheap HTIB speakers with a proper system. Or look on eBay for the BD/receiver unit.

Comment

• cxv
      • Sep 2014

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I only have the speakers and the sub. The issue of powering the sub sounds tricky - you are saying that the Sony Blu-ray player/receiver outputs more power to the sub than a standard receiver would?

I understand that these aren't quality speakers, but it would be cool to get them working. Do I have any shot at hooking them up to a receiver other than Sony's Blu-ray player?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

That's the new versions new of what you have. $300.

You will be hard pressed to get a new receiver for under $250. Maybe you can find a used one for $150. A bluray player is about $60 for a cheap one. Then you still have to figure out how to power the sub. Best bet is $100 for a used/inexpensive powered sub. Total of about $300 or more.

I would buy the new one with warranty.

So that's the unfortunate thing about HTIB systems, perfectly fine until one piece breaks (or you don't receive it).

Kevin D.

Comment

• cxv
          • Sep 2014

Yeah that sounds like the best way to move forward. I am bummed that there's no "plug and play" solution, but the speakers were given to me for free from the previous tenant of the apartment I just moved in to, so no great loss. I guess he didn't realize the Blu-ray player was a pivotal part of the setup.

Really appreciate the advice guys. Since we're talking about speakers, a song seems like an appropriate display of gratitude. Here you go:

Max Graef and Andy Hart - Jungle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMdlCgl6QI0

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"