X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zigurat
    • Jul 2005

HT System Recommendation

I am setting up a HT in my new home. I have an Infocus SP 7200 projector, but need a receiver, speakers and DVD player. The room is approx 12'x10', and I would like to accomplish the following:

1) Good midrange and low bass
    2) All components from the same manufacturer to make tech support easier
    3) I do NOT need small size speakers. The room will only be used for HT, sound is more important than looks
    4) DVD player and receiver as one unit would be ideal, to reduce clutter.

I will use this system to primarily watch HDTV broadcasts from Comcast, and DVDs. I want to spend approx $2,000 for the speakers, DVD Player and Receiver. Any help will be much appreciated.
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Hey zigurat, how tall is your room? If the room is 8 ft. tall, then you're pretty darn close to one of the "Golden Ratio" of room acoustics, if so, your room will make most system sound good in there.
    As for speaker used only for HT, I've always liked the Klipsch sound for movies. But the problem is, you're not going to get the best of Klipsch with that $2000 total budget. Can you stretch a lil at all? I've always liked their Reference 7 series for movies, which consists of a pair of RF7 for Left and Right tower and RFC for center and their dipoles from the same series. Look for them used if you can find them, they're very easy to drive and most receivers on the market will do a fine job with them. If possible...I'd spend as much as I can and get the best speakers possible and skimp a little on the receiver and dvd player and upgrade those later as budget allows. Good luck.

Comment

• willng24
      • Aug 2005

When in doubt hit CNet.com for info. I picked up a Denon AVR 2803 and Mirage Omnisat micros for my 12x12x8 room. I think it was a little too much for the space and should have gone with a home theater in a box.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

if going for the best sound possible, you're most likely not going to get it from a Home Theater in a Box, but then again, you can't get too much with a $2000 budget for at least 5.1 speakers and components.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"