Break-in requirement of 1072 CD player and 1068 processor. Also HDCD suggestions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spkerguy
    • Jun 2005

Break-in requirement of 1072 CD player and 1068 processor. Also HDCD suggestions

Hello everyone,

FIrst of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone on this forum for their help in my purchasing decision of the Rotel 1068 processor and 1072 CD player. It should be arriving at my dealer probably mid-week I guess. What are the break-in requirements (how long etc.) of these two units? I'd like to break them in before I listen to them. Also, I'm excited about trying a couple of HDCDs. Any suggestions where I can pick a few up?

Thanks,

Ken
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

About 0 minutes of doing nothing on either unit should work.

Comment

• spkerguy
      • Jun 2005

Thanks,
      I know the unit is able to be played right out of the box . With most electronics I heard it takes about 100 hours to full burn in the circuits and before then the sound may change a little bit.

Ken

Comment

• foeth
        • Apr 2006

The opinions vary, but even for loudspeakers, break-in hardly ever occurs. I've seen one article where "break in" was measured, and not much happened. I can image some mechanical components can loosen up somewhat, but not for electronics. Break in for audio cables is pure nonsense. As are many things as far as cables are concerned.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

That's one end of the spectrum.. The other end will say a week of low to moderate volume on random (or tuner) while you're at work will work.

What do I think? I abstain from these conversations.. :lol:

As far as HDCD, a lot of the better ones aren't even marked as HDCD. Best bet is to do a search for 'HDCD lists' on google. Chances are you all ready own several!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Lotus 78
            • May 2005

I did not really notice any break-in period with the 1068/1072.

I have never really went out of my way to look for an HDCD. But off the top of my head here is a list the just happened to make the red HDCD light come on:

Neil Young-Prairie Wind
            Tom Petty-Box set
            Ralph Stanley-Best of (Some tracks in HDCD)
            Tracy Chapman- Tell Stories
            Uncle Earl-She Waits for the Night
            Jacqui Naylor- Sheltered
            Dixie Power trio- Ain’t my fault
            Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
            Jewel-Spirit
            Naked-Title
            Mark Knopfler-Shangri-La
            Grateful Dead Working Man’s Dead
            Steve Earle-Jerusalem
            Lucinda Williams-Car wheels
            Beck-Sea Change
            Woodie Guthrie-Asch Recordings
            O Brother sound track

Comment

• foeth
              • Apr 2006

I do not mind if people want to risk their marriage by running pink or white noise for one week, but if a salesman starts about break-in time I'm gone. I work in a laboratory and nobody ever worries about break-in, cable direction, special power cords, low-vibration CD support, or oxygen free copper. And for a very simple reason

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

Well,that settles it then....back go my vibra-pods,after-market power cords and those new speaker and audio cables that I thought really 'brought out" my system.

Oh well.....

Comment

• BGLeduc
                  • Aug 2005

Do you like classic rock?

If so, the Steve Hoffman remaster of Bad Company's Self Titled debut is the single best sounding rock disc that I own. And yes, it is HDCD. This is an Audio Fidelity gold CD. I understand that this will be a limited release, so if that tickles your fancy, do not delay.

FWIW, there are several recent Hoffman rock remasters (Faces, Deep Purple, Montrose), but this one is head and shoulders above the others that I have heard.

Brian

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

Discussing the existence or non existence of break in of components and cables is like discussing religion or politics, and I avoid it where possible.

It always ends up getting ugly and starts wars. Well maybe not with Hi Fi stuff. :lol:

However I must say that apparently there are speaker manufacturers that advise a break in period and some even do it in the factory before they are sent out. Maybe there really is something to it with speakers?

Im not sure if the same applies to the electronics only stuff,like amps cd players etc, maybe someone can tell us of a manufacturer that recommends a burn in time. Maybe Rotel?

If all this burn in stuff is a waste of time, then perhaps somebody should tell the manufacturers to stop wasting their time and ours. :lol:

I guess it cannot hurt to give it a go can it?

If you dont believe in it dont do it. Easy

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                      • Apr 2006

I wont go into whether or not anything needs or doesnt need "break-in" or "burn-in", but this much I do know. When I took the volume knob on the VTL to 88, the Wilson Maxx II didnt like Metallica one bit. All 4 midrange drivers went poof (I thought....they quit working)....

Well after a quick call to Wilson, they overnighted the 4 resistors that blew and just calmy said that it happens often with newer speakers that havent been burned in yet. They wire the resistors there as a protection device. But they were clear that this normally only happens in very early stages of use. I dont know what to read into it, but thats the only experience I have personally had with the issue.

I do hear a difference in B&W speakers out of the box, and played for a few hours or days.

There is that Densen Demagic disc that is supposed to "re-align" the electrons or something in all your gear and cables. Its a really annoying sound you play for 5 minutes or something. :P

Comment

• foeth
                        • Apr 2006

I guess it cannot hurt to give it a go can it?
                        Of course, so to each his own I'd say. But, if a salesman advises cable burn in, he's lying. The burn-in legend has a few peculiarities:

1) Every part needs if, regardless if anything changes (up to the molecular level)
                        2) Sound ALWAYS improves
                        3) If it is really imptant, why doesn't the factory burn them in for you?

I think it's more psychological. When I spend thousands of euro, of course I'm really on edge to spot every little detail. After a while this fades. Equipment HAS burn in, but it's between my ears Same if I come home from work, after driving a while. Music definitely sounds different after an hour, but this has nothing to do with the equipment.

Here is some GREAT reading: http;//sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

There is that Densen Demagic disc that is supposed to "re-align" the electrons or something in all your gear and cables. Its a really annoying sound you play for 5 minutes or something
                        Pure bollocks!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"