X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfill101
    • Mar 2014

speaker wire

what's the best speaker wire and interconnect wire for b&w 805 signature speakers?
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I ran CAT Cables. I can still sell a few wires, so if you need some, let me know. I may put my shingle back out soon. I am contemplating it, but in the meantime, anyone that needs wires, let me know what you want, and I will see what I can do.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Speaking of speaker wire Lex.......How long does speaker wire last?. I mean, it's kind of a silly question because my speakers still produce sound.....therefore the wire still works but....Is there a timeline where one should change speaker wire anyway?. Every once and awhile, I re-cut the ends of my wires for a new, fresh connection to my amp and speakers but does the wire itself degrade over time, reducing sonic performance?.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by madmac
        Speaking of speaker wire Lex.......How long does speaker wire last?.
        As long as they still have electrons in them.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by kal rubinson
          as long as they still have electrons in them.
          oh my !!! 8O

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Ok I mean seriously!!!. My speaker wires are a good 10-15 years old. They are good wires but they are that old. How old is too old in the minds of this forum?.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

He was being serious....

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I've noticed mine have some spots of oxidization on the copper (10-12 years old...?) that I would assume would effect their quality/ability to transmit to some degree. I haven't the time or money to do anything about it at this time though :lol:
                Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Deoxit Regular/Gold will remove the oxidization on the copper and make them look new. If you put it on, give it a day or so it'll keep removing until you get back to what you had. Done it for a few people on their cables and "saved" them. Takes it back to looking just like new.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    Deoxit Regular/Gold will remove the oxidization on the copper and make them look new. If you put it on, give it a day or so it'll keep removing until you get back to what you had. Done it for a few people on their cables and "saved" them. Takes it back to looking just like new.
                    Some of it's actually under the wire jacket though...
                    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Strip it back, and add new connectors sealing it better with deoxit gold under the heatshrink and what not, or even some other thermal grease or something should help seal it better. Just need to keep air out of it.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                        He was being serious....
                        I was. Note the absence of a smilie.
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

sorry for my delay. Actually, there can be oxidation deep into a wire covering. For copper, the oxidation is not conductive, and is corrosive. There will always be a certain portion of the wire that is not oxidized and will carry current, in our lifetimes anyway. So, the bottom line is, unless you note degraded performance, it's fine. Like Pewter said, detoxing exposed copper could help. Also, if it's standard speaker wire and you have enough, cutting the end off and exposing new wire that was under sheath can help to clean that connection up.

Silver wire doesn't carry the same corrosive nature as copper, for silver, the oxidation is actually conductivel. I seem to remember this from my metallurgy research.
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Gold is a lesser conductor than copper, by 40%. So, gold plated copper is no better,
                            electrically, than pure copper. Still, there are gold plated pure copper cable end terminals,
                            which are in turn worse than silver plated cable end terminals. Since the un-plated pure
                            copper terminals oxidize over time, gold plated terminals will sooner or later be superior,
                            since they do not oxidize. However, silver plated cable end terminals are the best choice,
                            because they keep their superior conductivity even when oxidized

Nigel.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Good to know Nigel, thanks :T

Yeah mines, got the oxidation deep in the wire covering. I'd have to lose a LOT of jacket to clean/treat it. Seems that could do more harm than good.
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"