X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Inexpensive pre/pro advice for a friend

Have a buddy looking in to buying an inexpensive pre/pro for some powered (DJ) speakers he already owns (I know they're not ideal but they'll have to do for now). I've recommended he look at the Emotiva and Outlaw units:

Any personal thoughts on those two (which is better?) or any other options around the same price range you might recommend? Perhaps some mid-level/inexpensive receivers with 5.1/7.1 pre-outs?
    Jason
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The Emotiva is popular, though I think I heard they may have had some teething issues.

Other wise I have heard the Yamaha's are a V good value these days.

Maybe Dan (PewterTA) can give us some insight?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I have been very impressed with the Yamaha's new Aventage line. The quality there is really top notch, I would highly recommend adding those into the mix with the Emotiva and Outlaws. At those price ranges I'd also recommend looking at Onkyo as well. You'll get the quality from all them about the same.

One nice thing with the Yamaha, is it's App for iOS and Andriod... it's by far the best of the receiver apps for controlling the unit.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I looked a bit at some Marantz receiverss but they look to be more in the $700-$800 range to get pre-outs and would have basically unused amps for that extra money...I suppose he could power second zones or something at a later date. I'll have a look at Yamaha/Onkyo as well. Thanks guys :T

Shame there isn't more in the "basic" pre/pro market. You'd think there's some untapped potential for the mainstream receiver brands to pump something out there. How hard would it be to basically plunk the pre/pro section of their receivers in to a slightly smaller box without the amplification?
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Looking like the Onkyo's are in the $800+ range to get pre outs and the Yamaha Aventage line appears to start at $1k

Where's the middle ground!? :lol:
          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Those are MSRP's, you can get the TX-NR727 for around 600 pretty easily, and those Yamaha's are much cheaper street price as well.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

That was off Amazon. Plus I'm in Canada...stuff here is usually pretty close to "regular" US pricing.
              Jason

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                Shame there isn't more in the "basic" pre/pro market. You'd think there's some untapped potential for the mainstream receiver brands to pump something out there. How hard would it be to basically plunk the pre/pro section of their receivers in to a slightly smaller box without the amplification?
                I think you already answered your own question above. I've seen some really good reviews on the Outlaw processor...don't know how you could do much better than that for $550.
                Brad

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

FWIW, even I use a semi-basic Denon receiver as my HDMI audio outboard processor in my reference setup. I've got a thread in the Parasound section on how I did this.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                    FWIW, even I use a semi-basic Denon receiver as my HDMI audio outboard processor in my reference setup. I've got a thread in the Parasound section on how I did this.
                    Analog pre-outs?
                    Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I got my Yamaha RX-A820 for $450 (MSRP, ~$900), was a sale at Newegg.com They have been putting the yamaha's on sale about every other month. I can keep an eye out, not sure how quickly you want to get one.

It has the full set of pre-outs for you.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Not sure...I think he's looking in the next month or so (keeping in mind we're in Canada and won't necessarily have access to the same deals as you guys). He seems pretty sold on the Emotiva though, just wondering if there was any other better and/or cheaper options.

Brad would you say you'd go for the Outlaw instead? Care to elaborate?
                        Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

June has an Emotiva listed in the "Pawn Shop" thread.

link
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Silver1omo
                            • Sep 2010

Looking at the features of the emo and outlaw I have to ask, is your friend willing to actually measure everything to setup?
                            The outlaw does not have an auto setup/eq, so he will need to do the setup. The emo does have a proprietary auto setup.

I do not know anything about Canada, but in Mexico the prices are outrageous, but there are several companies that pretty much offer broker services. You buy your stuff in the US and ship it to them. They import it legally and ship it to you. All for a fee of course, that is how I bought my AVR and the components for my Statement monitors and center.
                            Ivan.
                            My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by aud19
                              Analog pre-outs?
                              You got it, Jason. HDMI inputs from my multiple HDMI sources, analog pre-outs to my main pre/pro, using any processing and correction that I choose in the Denon receiver as an outboard decoder. Works great, sounds fantastic, I get to keep my pre/pro, and add all modern technology. Cheaper than buying a new high-end pre/pro every couple of years.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                June has an Emotiva listed in the "Pawn Shop" thread.

link
                                Saw that and mentioned it to him. He wants new.

Originally posted by Silver1omo
                                Looking at the features of the emo and outlaw I have to ask, is your friend willing to actually measure everything to setup?
                                The outlaw does not have an auto setup/eq, so he will need to do the setup. The emo does have a proprietary auto setup.

I do not know anything about Canada, but in Mexico the prices are outrageous, but there are several companies that pretty much offer broker services. You buy your stuff in the US and ship it to them. They import it legally and ship it to you. All for a fee of course, that is how I bought my AVR and the components for my Statement monitors and center.
                                I'd probably be helping him set it up but yeah otherwise I think he would. And yes, I believe he plans on shipping it to Point Roberts if he gets the Emo.

Originally posted by Chris D
                                You got it, Jason. HDMI inputs from my multiple HDMI sources, analog pre-outs to my main pre/pro, using any processing and correction that I choose in the Denon receiver as an outboard decoder. Works great, sounds fantastic, I get to keep my pre/pro, and add all modern technology. Cheaper than buying a new high-end pre/pro every couple of years.
                                I guess it will depend on if he can find a good sale/deal on a more powerful receiver when he's ready to pull the trigger. If not, it looks like an Emo for him.
                                Jason

Comment

• deewan
                                  • Feb 2009

I've heard and seen the Emotiva UMC-200. It's a very solid performer. You would be hard pressed to beat it. I think only the Outlaw could come close (which I have not heard).
                                  The Old Woods Theater
                                  My Various Speaker Builds
                                  Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

I believe the outlaw is actually based on the UMC-200, Emotiva has been an OEM manufacturer for Outlaw before.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Thread subject
                                      Inexpensive pre/pro advice...
                                      Isn't all our advice here inexpensive? (We don't charge anything for our suggestions on how to spend other people's money.)

I second the suggestion you also consider a reasonably priced receiver with pre-outs and just use the pre/pro part of it. Have used a Sony receiver for its current HT decoding features and HDMI connections/switching and used 5.1 analog outputs to drive the power amps. Worked well. However it looks like either the Emotiva or Outlaw offer a lot for the money.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"