How do I make a new TV play nice with 2ch audio?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron M.
    • Aug 2005

How do I make a new TV play nice with 2ch audio?

I'm rather heavily invested in standard two channel audio playback and would like to buy a new TV.
    I haven't been able to find one with a pair of variable audio out RCA jacks on the back, so I'm at a loss.
    I really want to stay two channel: I have no desire for the level of immersion you get from a surround setup, I just wanna watch a movie.
    So the question is, how do I convert the digital signal to 2ch analog as painlessly as possible?

P.S.: If you haven't guessed, it's been fifteen years since I shopped for TVs.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Aaron M.
    I'm rather heavily invested in standard two channel audio playback and would like to buy a new TV.
    I haven't been able to find one with a pair of variable audio out RCA jacks on the back, so I'm at a loss.
    I really want to stay two channel: I have no desire for the level of immersion you get from a surround setup, I just wanna watch a movie.
    So the question is, how do I convert the digital signal to 2ch analog as painlessly as possible?
    You need a DAC and, probably, one that will accept DolbyDigital.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

What pre-amp are you using, does it have any digital inputs on it (some 2ch pres do)... If so that could be an option... Basically you need to figure out what TV(s) you're interested in and figure out what outputs they have on them.... at least to better know (as some don't even have digital audio out).

But Kal is right, you'll need some form of a DAC that will allow the audio conversion and have to be able to decode 2ch DolbyDigital.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Aaron M.

P.S.: If you haven't guessed, it's been fifteen years since I shopped for TVs.
        I was in you're shoes somewhat in exactly in the same way. I needed to be able to get an analog signal to my headphones for all sources when I moved into an apartment. Some sources are analog, others are digital. Most amps will not pass a digital signal into analog. So I did this. All gear....Dvd players, CD players, (Including cable/satellite boxes) will normally have a 2 channel RCA analog out. You need to get a series of RCA patch cords to send the analog feeds to your amp. If you're TV does not have analog out's, using the analog out's from the cable box will be the way to get a 2ch stereo signal to your amp.

In my case, I sent a series analog patch cords to my amp (Including my PS3), then I use the 'Tape out' from my amp to send the analog signal to my headphone amp. In your case, all you have to do is send analog signals to your amp and use your amp as the volume control for the TV, DVD and all other gear you might have. You are unlikely going to be able to use you TV volume control to regulate your volume though. You will have to use the amp itself to do this.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Aaron M.
          • Aug 2005

Thanks for the info, everyone.
          Now to see if I can make it all work.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"