X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickster1972
    • Feb 2005

LCR bookshelf speaker recommendations

Looking to upgrade from my Paradigm Atom L/R and CC-170 center channel speakers. I will be keeping the Paradigm bipole/dipole surrounds and my DIY subwoofer. I have been enamored by the sound of the B&W CM5 speakers with the matching center channel, having eliminated the Paradigm Studio 20 when comparing the two at one of my local HT shops. The Paradigm sounded less natural to me, especially for female vocal reproduction.

Considering my preference for the sound of the B&W, are there any bookshelf speakers, including a matching center channel, besides the B&W CM5, that are worth a listen? My price range is up to $2,500. Has anyone demo'ed the Aperion bookshelf speakers, for example? I will not consider floorstanders as I would like to stay in the good graces of my lovely bride.

I have until at least fall 2013 to make this decision as this will be a present to myself for graduating law school, taking the bar exam and (hopefully) landing a decent attorney position. Appreciate the input.

Oh, in case it matters, my associated equipment is a Marantz SR-7007 and an Oppo BDP-93. I am only planning to run a 5.1 system, the Marantz allows for bi-amping to the front L/R of the 2 channels of unused surround, and I do not plan to have a second zone. So, feel free to recommend any power hungry speakers, too.
    "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

For entry level stuff, I think Paradigm is one of the best bangs for the buck. I've heard entry level B&W speakers and have not been impressed. Also, try PSB speakers as they are major bang for the buck, including their entry level stuff. For a small speaker setup, you will obviously need a sub......unless you are in a apartment, in which case, that will go over like a fart in church with your immediate neighbors!!!. I am experiencing that now so I have relegated myself to good headphones for now.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mickster1972
      • Feb 2005

madmac, have you listened to the CM5? Not sure I would consider them entry level. In any event, as I stated in my post, I have a sub and simply want better quality sound reproduction in a bookshelf as compared to the Atoms. Thank you for the recommendation on PSB. I will look into it, as I have seen them favorably reviewed in Stereophile and TPV as well. Cheers!
      "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I have a pair of PSB Imagine B in my 2 channel living room setup. I did compare them to the CM5s and while price was a factor in my choice (I got a good deal on a "blemished" pair--took me 20 mins. to find it and it is invisible from where it sits. Also, no one else has found it), I did not find the PSBs gave up anything of significance to the CM5s. They were not identical in sound and I would have been happy with the CM5s but I do not regret my Imagine Bs. The next level up in PSB was not in my budget at the time, so I did not compare them, but they might fit yours. As is usual with speakers, YMMV.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"