X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Burkhardt
    • Jun 2011

Good Entry-Level Amplifier

So I'm about to purchase some Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v3 bookshelf speakers. I can't find any information about this particular model, but they seem to be very similar to Paradigm's newer Studio 2. My question is if anyone has any recommendations for a quality amplifier to accompany these speakers. I will only need two channels and I doubt I'll need many inputs. The newer 20's have a maximum power input of 110 watts. Keep in mind that I'm a college student on a budget and don't want to be spending much on the amp.

I was looking at the Sherwood RX-4105 amplifier which is priced at $150. Does anyone have any experience with this receiver or have any other similarly-priced alternatives. I'm also open to spending slightly more if I could be convinced that it's truly worth it. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • dtb300
    • Apr 2007

I have no experience with the Sherwood receiver you mention.

IMO, in your price range, I would look more at features, inputs, outputs, etc. which will take care of your needs and then see if it falls in your price range. Look at all brands out there - Sherwood, Denon, Yahama, Pioneer, Onkyo, Emotiva, etc.

Comment

• r100gs
      • May 2005

Onkyo and Harman Kardon make some nice stereo only recievers that should fit your budget.
      Jay

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Harmon Kardon makes good 2 ch receivers/amps. You might get a used one for that price if you look around. I would normally point people towards Rotel as they are the next step above the Denon's and Yamaha's but for 150 bucks, your not likely to find one. Believe it or not, I've seen some really nice stuff at Garage sales!. Keep your eyes open for those Garage sales!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Shinnosuki
          • Sep 2007

Sherwood? Isnt that the stuff they sell at Sears? yuck!

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

If you're sticking to two channel stereo, I'd highly recommend that you look for an integrated amp instead of a receiver. Even entry level integrated amps offer a lot more in audio quality compared to receivers. Check out audiogon.com for some used higher quality integrated amps. I'd recommend Denon or NAD integrated amps if you can find one in your price range.

Also, if you don't need many inputs, I would also recommend a t-amp (People... don't knock it unless you've actually heard one with your own speakers). Seriously, I thought it was just a bunch of broke fanboys that use to swear by them, but I tried one out myself, and they really are nice little gems for the price.

I sent you a PM.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"