• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom314159
    • Jul 2008

Audio Inconvenience

Greetings.

We just got a Samsung UN32C4000.

I'm searching for a simple way to use external amplifier and speakers _and_ keep the functionality of the volume control on the Samsung remote.

First, I had hoped that inserting a plug into the "ext audio" jack (stereo, 3.5mm) would mute the internal speakers. It does not. Second, I had hoped that the level of the audio on the "ext audio" connector would follow the Samsung remote volume control. It does not.

What you get is a line-level audio signal that is a constant level. To mute the internal speakers, you must set the Samsung remote volume control to minimum.

Apparently the only way to to remotely control the volume and still use good speakers is to have a home-theater receiver that accepts the audio signal from the Samsung TV and has its own remote control for volume. That implies two separate remote controls. It may be possible to get the receiver to respond to the Samsung remote control volume control signal, but then the TV will also respond to this signal and ruin the sound by turning up the internal speakers.

So if I want a single remote control, and better speakers that the internal ones, I must get another remote control that can be programmed to "talk to" the Samsung TV in all aspects except volume; and for volume it must "talk to" the home theater receiver that I also have to buy. Does that sound right?

On other TVs (in the past) I have accessed the speaker-level signals directly. I load it with a few hundred ohms (a light load for an amplifier that is designed to drive speakers) and use a high-quality audio transformer in the path to isolate grounds. (On older TV's, one must be careful with such connections since the chassis may be hot.) Even better, I could find the audio signal after the volume control and before the speaker amplifier to get a cleaner line-level signal. But the Samsung just does not lend itself to such tampering with internal circuitry; besides, it is new and under warranty.

Have I assessed the situation correctly?

I just want to use a good amplifier and speakers and adjust the volume from my chair using the one Samsung Remote that came with the TV. That appears to be impossible.

Any ideas on how closely I can approximate that outcome?

Tom
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You have it correct. The only way we've gotten around this in the past is to tap into the speaker wires going to the speakers and put a speaker-level to line-level converter on them. No reason to solder anything to the board, the Samsung speakers are very easy to get to, and some spade connectors on the end of wire will plug directly into the leads. Any warranty issues and it can go back to stock with no visible signs.

There's plenty of DIY electronic kits out there for IR learning volume controls, but nothing really off the shelf that I know off. You would then set speaker select to EXTERNAL, learn the Samsung codes into the kit, and hook it inline.

Kevin D.

Comment

• tom314159
      • Jul 2008

Equalization

Thanks, Kevin!

Did you find any customized equalization for the little speakers built into the electronics? If I lift the speaker wires, I might get EQ that my speakers don't need.

Tom

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

It's usually a get it done because the sales guy goofed kind of thing. So I've never done any critical listening to notice.

That model tv has several eq modes though. Hopefully one of them would truly be an off.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"