X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Who us using 3D

Just wondering. I like the in store demo's. I have a good 3D Samsung TV but, so far haven't spent the money for prescription 3D glasses.
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bob
    Just wondering. I like the in store demo's. I have a good 3D Samsung TV but, so far haven't spent the money for prescription 3D glasses.
    I'm not ATM but I want to get a bigger tv in the future and i guess I will get 3D then. I want to wait until prices go down a bit more. I have only seen one movie so far where I actually liked the 3D. But I can see it being fun for gaming.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'm not bothering. 3D to me has always been a gimmick. It's much better nowadays, but I still say it's not going mainstream until it can be done well holographically without the need for glasses.

I'm not going to buy a new TV just for 3D. The next time I buy a new TV, sure... I'll pay a few extra bucks for 3D capability, but I don't think I'll need a new TV for a while.

Now, to be fair, when I'm buying BD's nowadays, I'm paying a few extra bucks to get the 3D version bundled in as well. That way if and when I do get a 3DTV, I'll already have some movies to watch with it.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

but I still say it's not going mainstream until it can be done well holographically without the need for glasses
        Is this technology on the horizon or just wishful thinking? I can't imagine how that would work but, I haven't spent any time looking into it.

If you buy a new tv you will find that the better ones come with 3D capability so, you really aren't paying just for that feature. I bought the particular Samsung we own for its picture quality. The 3D just came with it.

Comment

• Wheels
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bob
          If you buy a new tv you will find that the better ones come with 3D capability so, you really aren't paying just for that feature. I bought the particular Samsung we own for its picture quality. The 3D just came with it.
          Thats what I just did. I wasn't looking for a 3D tv, but all the ones I was considering had it. Now I have to upgrade my AVR to handle the newer HDMI format so I can use the 3d capabilities. ...snap

but, I got to thinking about it, current 3D really isn't that hard to do, its mainly the synchonization to the glasses since they have the 120hz tvs fairly standard. it shouldn't be adding much at all to the cost, other than marketing hype

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Holographic 3D, without glasses, for now is only available in very specialized applications. So the tech may be further down the road. But just because it's not possible today mainstream, that doesn't make current 3D any more useful for me, or acceptable as a compromise. I'm still not thrilled.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well there are some phones that do 3D natively now without glasses I'm not sure if that's "holographic" but pretty cool regardless.

Comment

• Industrial
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Hdale85
                Well there are some phones that do 3D natively now without glasses I'm not sure if that's "holographic" but pretty cool regardless.
                Only works on small screens like the 3DS and has to be held a certain way. But a holdeck in my mancave? That would be fun!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

ohhhhhh... now a HOLODECK... that's a totally different issue. I could get in so much trouble with a holodeck...

... or perhaps the point is, I WOULDN'T really get in trouble, now, would I?
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

The thing is, a real "holodeck" would change far more than just entertainment. You could have a 10,000 square foot house that only takes up a closet worth of real estate. The possibilities would be endless. It would become a way of life rather than just a TV/movie watching replacement.

And FWIW to the thread topic, I like 3D ok, but not enough to warrant a new TV & bluray player. I currently have a 61" Samsung DLP that's about five years old and still running strong (which I'll probably replace the lamp in within the next year and get a lot more life out of), and the first gen Oppo BD player, and they're both awesome. I did see a 73" Mits DLP 120Hz 3D ready at the local Best Buy Magnolia for $1000 that was very tempting though... :B
                    -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

3D ? Naw. In fact, if I want to see a particular film at the local cinema, I would go out of my way to see one that wasn't in 3D, so I just don't see me ever getting it in my home. Now, like, Chris, if the day comes when you can watch 3D without glasses, well...
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
                        • Jul 2000

One of the biggest complaints about 3D has been the glasses. Especially from people like me who have to wear the 3D glasses over already existing glasses.

Well, now that you can get prescription 3D glasses I went out and bought some. Now just need to put in the prescription lenses. I don't see myself using them alot but, like the idea of being able to watch some DVD's and TV in 3D when the mood fits.

With all the movies coming out in 3D I wish that they worked at the theater. I always go to the non 3D version because of the glasses issue. If it was possible to wear your own prescription 3D glasses I would probably pick the 3D version most of the time.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

The theaters just use polarized lenses, so just get a prescription set of polarized sunglasses or just polarized lenses.

Comment

• Bob
                            • Jul 2000

The theaters just use polarized lenses, so just get a prescription set of polarized sunglasses or just polarized lenses.
                            Not exactly but, it is a form of polarization. There are now clip on's from Marchon3d which are better than wearing one pair of glasses over another.

Try your polarized sunglasses at the theater and you will see that it isn't quite the same.

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Except that the theater glasses are polarized different directions on each lens (which is how they make your eyes see two different images). Normal polarized glasses would be polarized all one direction and wouldn't work to see 3D at the theater.
                              -Chuck

Comment

• Wheels
                                • Oct 2008

And I have been told not all theaters polarize their movies the same way, so one pair of glasses won't work in all places. but yes, the polarization is 90* to each other

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Hmm..... well that sucks.

Comment

• Bob
                                    • Jul 2000

Real3D is now working with several glasses companies to make personal 3D glasses available. 3D movies are becoming so common place it makes sense to have your own. Like non-prescription sunglasses they are not expensive. Then you are assured comfort and lenses that have been cared for.
                                    For those of us that wear glasses, clip ons may be the only option. I am not sure if the circular polarization works with lenses that have had their curvature changed to accommodate eyesight problems.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

A LOT of the phones here in Japan now have that. I, for one, can't stand looking at it. It only takes but a few seconds to make me dizzy.

I saw the Toshiba non-glasses 3D prototype last year. Same thing... still has that feel that could make one dizzy pretty easily.
                                      It would be cool if the movie theater's 3D style made it to the living room WITHOUT glasses.

And you know what would be extremely awesome in 3D?
                                      Football! If they put tiny tough 3D lens in the helmets so that they can replay back and show what it looks like from the player's point of view running down, in between players, catching the ball.
                                      I don't even care for watching football all that much, but that game would definitely be awesome to watch in 3D from the player's point of view. :B

Games on the PC aren't bad in 3D though. I like those. I've only seen it a few times, but they're nice.
                                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

3D, even on a 60 inch monitor is a joke. In order to get any reasonable 3D experience, you need theatre size screens. I still don't like the glasses and the fact that they darken the image. To me, that's a bad tradeoff for a 3 D experience. Frankly, it is a deal breaker for me!!
                                        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

I recently read where Sony Studios will no longer reimburse theaters for the cost of 3D glasses. Other studios are expected to follow suit. So will the theaters say the hell with 3D ? If so, will that also mean that the studios will release less 3D material for the consumer ? We'll have to wait and see I guess.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• baniels
                                            • Nov 2006

I still have a 720p tv from 2007. I think the last thing I watched in 3D was Captain EO at Disneyland.
                                            L&R Build
                                            Sub Build

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

I've got a 7000 series Samsung and have watched only Shrek on 3D. It is neat to do every now and then, but is darker (as one poster said above) than usual. I don't see myself watching every movie in 3D, but is is fun to do occasionally, plus my son likes to wear the glasses.
                                              Danish

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"