New or used pretty good projector for under 1000 bucks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

New or used pretty good projector for under 1000 bucks?

I'm looking for a decent projector that does at least 480P, I'd prefer 720P if possible but not so sure about that one. I dont care if its a newer or older projector and it can even be used off ebay or anything like that. I was looking at the Sony HS-10 I see a couple that go for cheaper but most of the buy it now ones are about 1000 bucks. I was also concidering the Infocus 4805 Just was trying to see if there are any better options out there? This would be mostly used for movies and tv. And most likely HDTV as well.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Somthing else I was concidering is a Sony 1271 CRT projector...it'll do 1080i (maybe and at least 720P) and scan to 75khz. So would be pretty nice And I can get one for about 400-500 bucks before shipping. And the 20k:1 contrast ratio screams at me...
    Last edited by Hdale85; 25 July 2006, 03:17 Tuesday.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Dougie085,

I heard somewhere that Best Buy is selling the 4805 for around $750.00.

For an additional $400.00 ($1400.00, after rebate) you can purchase the Panasonic 900U, beautiful projector for the money. Just another thought to consider.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
        Somthing else I was concidering is a Sony 1271 CRT projector...it'll do 1080i (maybe and at least 720P) and scan to 75khz. So would be pretty nice And I can get one for about 400-500 bucks before shipping. And the 20k:1 contrast ratio screams at me...
        now your talking my language. :B I'm one of the few die-hard CRT guys on here and I'm always telling people to try my brand of HT crack-cocaine, the beautiful, true black, pixel and bulb free CRT. :rofl:
        I have seen a 1272 and it looked good on an 80" wide screen, I wouldn't go bigger than that. The 1271 is a step down with half the convergence zones, slightly smaller tubes, and smaller lenses. I say within your budget aim a little higher. IF you can swing an 8" tubed machine with electromagnetic focus it's a significant step-up. Make SURE you can see a pic of the tubes with lenses off. These machines are famous for being mis-used and a static Windows desk-top burned into B+G tubes. You might want to to check Videogon or the AVS forum marketplace. Also check your PM box in case someone here has something.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well actually the 1271 is the same as the 1272 with less scan rate and little less lumen output. It still has 21 point convergence and still scans to 75khz and its rated as an 8" just like the 1272 but i hear its actually a little bit smaller.

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
            Well actually the 1271 is the same as the 1272 with less scan rate and little less lumen output. It still has 21 point convergence and still scans to 75khz and its rated as an 8" just like the 1272 but i hear its actually a little bit smaller.
            Yup your right, I was thinking of the 1270 with 9 point convergence and 650 lums. The 1272 + 1292 were the last of the 12XX series before the G70/g90 came out. the G90 is still considered by many people in the Industry as the best video projector ever made so Sony knew what they were doing. At least they did back then I can't say the same for the Qualia and blue Ray

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah sony used to have a lot of awesome stuff on the market...nowadays I can say the exact opposite.

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Not a CRT guy myself, but if you are game for the work involved in one, that is certainly going to be your best picture in that price range.

In digitals, however, I would go for an HS10 or 20 over a 480 machine like the 4805. My friend has an HS20 and it is very nice and smooth for anLCD, and if you really want HD to look decent, 480 is not really the path to go down.

BB

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah I've been thinking about a CRT for a while. Always liked their picture.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"