X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    • Oct 2008

Cable TV causing subwoofer humm

Weird as this may be... My TV is connected to my Yamaha A/V reciever via HDMI. It is an old TV, so it only receives picture from the A/V receiver. the cable TV line goes from the wall to the TV, as its just normal cable. If I have the cable TV connected to the TV, my Sub exhibits a constant hum, fairly loud. regardless if my A/V unit is on or not. The sub is connected to the pre-amp out. It doesn't matter what pre amp output I pick, it hums. It does it with the A/V unit on as well. As soon as I unplug the cable TV from the TV it stops.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix this?
    Thanks in advance

BTW, It doesn't matter if the TV is on or off either
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Tell your cable company it's not grounded properly and have them come out and fix it.

Comment

• kpodolski
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
      Tell your cable company it's not grounded properly and have them come out and fix it.
      Agree. The cable company schmucks probably grounded the cable to the nearest piece of copper they could find instead of grounding it properly...
      The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

If they refuse to fix it it's not hard to do your self. Just go out to the cable box on your house, pound in a new spike into the ground, or just run a longer ground wire over to your houses main grounding point which is usually close to the meter or other utility items.

Comment

• Wheels
          • Oct 2008

Alright. Thanks. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I hope it really is that simple

Comment

• Wheels
            • Oct 2008

Woops, I almost forgot about this thread. It was the ground wire. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"