X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

Faulty Conditioner - Recomendations?

Looks like my Belkin has finally but the dust. (I believe) I used to run all equipment including my Bryston Amps off of it. My son loved pressing the on/off button all the time which fried all of the Switched and High current banks. I now plug my amp direct to the wall and the other banks in the Belkin have been working perfectly. Last night I noticed the Volt levels going from 117 to 121 within minutes and then my Classe 600 would cut out and stop giving audio. Being nervous, I just unplugged everything.

Now, assuming that it is infact the conditioner, Ill be looking for a new one which I am not too knowledgable. I have read tonnes of info from Power Strips, Conditioners, dedicated lines for the past few months with reviews, pros/cons. Im going blind from all of the info on the net. lol.

I want something very cost effective - under $500 CAD new or used. I need 8 outlets. I have an upgraded recptacle and powercords right now and no way of adding dedicated lines.

Options
    PS Audio Quintet - with upgraded Black Sands PC
    PS Audio JuiceBar II - with upgraded Black Sands PC
    Panamax5400
    Wiremold PowerStrip
    Furman PST 8D
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I have heard that 'Triplight' (Not sure of the spelling) products are very good.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

If you were satisfied with the Belkin, why not just get another one ? Clearly its the abuse by your son that is likely the cause of the unit biting the dust, not some inherent defect. You did not say which model you have. I own a PF-60. Outlet banks that are set to "always on" or are triggered by AC or DC remote control do not operate when the front panel power button is pressed. I have the high current outlet bank of my PF-60 AC triggered, and the remaining outlets set to be always on, completely deactivating the front panel power button.

This is not foolproof where inquisitive little fingers are concerned though, as pressing the trigger on/off button below the LCD display will turn any component plugged into the triggered outlet on or off (which my 1 year old grandson recently discovered). He has been pretty good about not touching stuff when told a firm NO. I think no matter what conditioner you get, having a child turn power on and off unnecessarily will cause problems in the longrun.

Comment

• Armbender
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
        If you were satisfied with the Belkin, why not just get another one ? Clearly its the abuse by your son that is likely the cause of the unit biting the dust, not some inherent defect. You did not say which model you have. I own a PF-60. Outlet banks that are set to "always on" or are triggered by AC or DC remote control do not operate when the front panel power button is pressed. I have the high current outlet bank of my PF-60 AC triggered, and the remaining outlets set to be always on, completely deactivating the front panel power button.

This is not foolproof where inquisitive little fingers are concerned though, as pressing the trigger on/off button below the LCD display will turn any component plugged into the triggered outlet on or off (which my 1 year old grandson recently discovered). He has been pretty good about not touching stuff when told a firm NO. I think no matter what conditioner you get, having a child turn power on and off unnecessarily will cause problems in the longrun.
        I absolutely agree. Certainly no fault of the belkin. Just called customer service and I think they are replacing it free minus shipping! I guess that's my choice lol
        Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Wow, that is impressive customer service!

I was just going to post this link for the APC that I have been using and am V pleased with. APC
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Armbender
            I absolutely agree. Certainly no fault of the belkin. Just called customer service and I think they are replacing it free minus shipping! I guess that's my choice lol
            That's great news. Its good to know they stand behind their products. :T

Comment

• Armbender
              • Jul 2005

well...sort of...lol...they dont sell any power products besides the pf60. I have the pf40. they were going to give me $499USD towards the $599USD pf60. I would have to pay the extra $100 + the cost of shipping my unit back.

I opted for $350USD cash refund, and ill buy the pf60 online for $250 CAD and use the extra funds to ship my unit back.

Made no sense to me but either way, I will have a brand new pf60 unit that will have lifetime warrenty for $599 USD with Belkin....

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

IMO that is still reasonable, even generous given the circumstances of the product malfunction.

Comment

• Armbender
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                  IMO that is still reasonable, even generous given the circumstances of the product malfunction.
                  Absolutely. They said even under those conditions it still should have lasted

Comment

• Armbender
                    • Jul 2005

well...come to find out...the Conditioner is infact faulty as the switched outlets do not function. But it wasnt the cause of the second issue of the Classe shutting sound down...

My Classe is now having a problem. Every couple hours it makes a clicking noise and then the sound stops for every input. standby light is still on and i can still go through the menu settings on the screen but just no sound...no im freaking out....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"